JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Dang, convicted for GUN? I *hate* when that happens! :s0114:

Anyway... if there are any more in-depth articles about this that would probably be good. From the sound of it, he was one of those martyr guys trying to get arrested on purpose so he could battle it in court. If so, cool beans.

Full story - it's an incident from 2008. *edited - my earlier comment was incorrect*

Student convicted in open-carry gun case | The Columbian

An attorney for Joshua R. Watson, 23, unsuccessfully argued to a jury of four men and two women that Watson was merely exercising his constitutional right to bear arms.

The jurors sided with an assistant Vancouver city attorney, who argued that Watson flaunted his right to carry, forced a business to close early and in the process broke the law.

Watson was cited Dec. 26, 2008, by Sgt. Jay Alie of the Vancouver Police Department.

On the one hand, it sounds like he was technically in the right

On the other hand, he was also kind of acting like a dick. I don't know what the heck is the big deal about covering up or leaving the area when asked. I certainly wouldn't spend an hour arguing about it.

On the gripping hand, maybe he *was* purposely trying to get arrested so he could fight it in court. That is okay.

8ball, I think you might be confusing the story a bit. There's two tales in there, and it doesn't appear that Watson 'looked like he was going to draw.' I think that might have been the Kirby case.

Oops - sorry - thanks for noticing that. I corrected my post. Yes, it was Kirby who was allegedly 'looked like he was going to draw'.

It will be interesting to see how this one pans out on appeal.

If a clean cut looking student like this can get convicted, I don't like Kirby's chances.

"Flaunted his right to carry"

Can you imagine the DA saying that about any other constitutional right?

"Flaunted his right to carry"

Can you imagine the DA saying that about any other constitutional right?

:s0155:

"Ladies and gentlemen of the jury that black man Flaunted his right to be free from slavery"

It's starts to sound pretty ridiculous when put in that perspective.

This got me thinking about how much our current 2nd amendment rights infringements have in common with post 13th amendment (ending slavery) Jim Crow laws (keeping black people down with unconstitutional laws)

I think this might be a good correlation worth studying.

This got me thinking about how much our current 2nd amendment rights infringements have in common with post 13th amendment (ending slavery) Jim Crow laws (keeping black people down with unconstitutional laws)

I think this might be a good correlation worth studying.

There have been several books/articles about this. There is a definite correlation, in that a lot of gun laws from the 30s up were to keep blacks from owning/carrying guns.

Just keep it in your pants, and there won't be any problems. When you hang it out and make people feel uncomfortable, that's when the cops get called.

Just keep it in your pants, and there won't be any problems. When you hang it out and make people feel uncomfortable, that's when the cops get called.

Yeah, like those black people during segregation - if they just sat at the back of the bus and used separate entrances then people wouldn't be uncomfortable. :rolleyes:

On the one hand, it sounds like he was technically in the right

On the other hand, he was also kind of acting like a dick. I don't know what the heck is the big deal about covering up or leaving the area when asked. I certainly wouldn't spend an hour arguing about it.

On the gripping hand, maybe he *was* purposely trying to get arrested so he could fight it in court. That is okay.

What I don't get is if he was asked to leave and didn't, why wasn't he charged with trespass instead of the b.s. charge he got? I also don't get what the **** flaunting his constitutional right means? That sounds rediculous to me!

He was walking past the pizza place, he wasn't in it. Police saw his handgun and stopped him. The police then went into the pizza place, told them there was a man outside with a gun (even though he was walking past and not entering the pizza place) and asked them if they were alarmed after notifying them. All of the alarm and closing was caused by the police stirring the pot to get the reactions they needed to warrant a citation. The Prosecuting attorney just did a better job of convincing than the defending attorney.

Welcome to Seattle and associated west of the mountains and the ex mayor who is a delegate to the United Nations, ex police chief who lost his gun now a big time DC person, what do you expect from a total left wing places. Just vote these people out com November. Spad

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top