Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Man Attacked by Bear, Wife Can't Load Shotgun, Clubs Bear

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by fyrediver, May 17, 2013.

1. fyrediver

fyrediver Seattle Active Member

The man went out to save his dog from a black bear which then turned its attentions to the larger, slower food product. While the man was being attacked his wife retrieved the shotgun but couldn't load it. She then clubbed the bear about it's head until the attacked stopped. Man now says he'll train his woman to load and shoot his shotgun.

Wife who can't load shotgun uses it to club bear attacking husband | Fox News

2. NWGlockgal

NWGlockgal Oregon Well-Known Member

Teach her to how to load a shot gun? He needs to teach himself to carry it when going out side to confront a bear. I love my animals but I'm not about to risk my life to save one of them.

1stIDFMP, iusmc2002, Soren and 15 others like this.
  3. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Shotgun my *** if a bear was attacking my dog the least it would encounter would be one of the .30-06's Afterall how you going to get it in the freezer if the thing runs off.

4. Chee-to

Chee-to Oregon Well-Known Member

Just goes to show ya, that a unloaded gun will protect your family as good as a club.......:wow:

5. jjackffrost

jjackffrost central oregon Active Member

I love my dog but he is out in the woods with me to give me time to shoot what ever is trying to eat me. as for a unloaded shotgun on a trip, that i do not understand (my wife can load faster than i can).

6. Frankenrifle

Frankenrifle Clatskanie Active Member

This is the exact first thought I had, too.

7. revjen45

revjen45 Snohomish County Well-Known Member

1) Why did he go outside to confront a bear (normally agreed to be a dangerous critter) unarmed?
    2) Why didn't his wife know how to load the gun?
    3) Why was the gun unloaded in the first place?
    4) Just goes to show my earlier post that women really do display immense courage when defending their loved ones. I recall an article some time back about an older lady who engaged a bear which was mauling her husband with nothing more than a pair of binoculars swung by the neckstrap.
    5) I would definitely engage a bear to save one of our fur people, but I wouldn't go outside empty handed. 7.62x39 isn't known for immense power but 30 rds on tap is probably adequate to put a brown bear on the trailer.
    6) That lady belongs on a Hildebrandt calendar, no matter what she looks like. She is a warrior.

8. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim West of Oly Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer

Never confront a dangerous animal with out a gun, Never!!! Unless you are Chuck Norris!!!!

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  9. vertical ascent

vertical ascent Vancouver Active Member

I can't believe everyone missed it. This couple clearly took the Vice President's advice about self-defense.

10. NWGlockgal

NWGlockgal Oregon Well-Known Member

And why was the shot gun in the basement, as well as being unloaded? It's not going to do much for self defense that way.

11. Black Dog

Black Dog Eagle Creek Or Active Member

Not to kind of steal this thread, But in Oregon if your Dog is being attacked by a Wolf YOU CAN NOT PROTECT YOUR DOG. It's in the Big Game book. So you better use your gun as a club and not hurt the Wolf to bad. All as I can say is by-by Wolf! I LOVE MY DOG not the Wolf!
    I have a 18 inch barrel shot gun loaded with first two rounds Buck Shot next three with Slugs, and the wife is real good with it up to 25 yards.

12. mrblond

mrblond Salem OR Well-Known Member

Its why you bring a shovel. no body, no foul.

13. Father of four

Father of four Portland, Oregon Well-Known Member

You must be a Portland or Mutlnomah County commissioner?

14. 206thsense

206thsense Seattle, WA, USA Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

This whole story is a load of "wtf!"

The guy's lucky to be alive.

15. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Told my honey "If you can't load the shotgun, get a divorce lawyer!"

206thsense and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Hardwood floor guy

Hardwood floor guy Beaverton Active Member

buy a shot gun! an ar15 is harder to aim, harder to load and you don't need 30 rounds. Buy a shotgun! Joe Biden(the dillhole)