JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The story starts out the usual way with irrelevant reports of some websites he viewed and the large numbers of course, which had me going "ok sooo ..." and then it gets to what I imagine got him in trouble:

A criminal complaint said Kimpton had the guns shipped to federal firearm license-holders in different South Carolina counties, then he would pick up the gear and contest the sale, stating he never received the items.

The complaint said Kimpton retained the guns and the money. His victims were located in Arizona, California, Florida, Indiana, Tennessee and Washington, in addition to South Carolina, the complaint said.

So they guy is just a scam artist duckhead.

Uhhhh.... If they were sent to an FFL and all procedures were followed, there'd definitely be a paper trail, right? I don't understand how he even got away with a single one

Uhhhh.... If they were sent to an FFL and all procedures were followed, there'd definitely be a paper trail, right? I don't understand how he even got away with a single one
I was wondering that exact thing. I am "guessing" this was another example of sloppy reporting. Said he was using electronic payments then claiming to not get the stuff? I know credit cards are real good about this but, fake names??? How many electronic payments allow you to use a fake name, then claim you never got the stuff, and keep the money? Whole article sounds very strange.

I was wondering that exact thing. I am "guessing" this was another example of sloppy reporting. Said he was using electronic payments then claiming to not get the stuff? I know credit cards are real good about this but, fake names??? How many electronic payments allow you to use a fake name, then claim you never got the stuff, and keep the money? Whole article sounds very strange.

One of the articles I read mentioned PayPal, so maybe it is easier to do fake identity there? I don't know -- I haven't used PayPal in at least ten years.

One of the articles I read mentioned PayPal, so maybe it is easier to do fake identity there? I don't know -- I haven't used PayPal in at least ten years.
I thought about that and do still have a PP account. Only time I ever use it is the rare times I buy on Ebay and donations here. I find it VERY hard to believe they would let anyone set up a fake name as there has to be some way to get the funds to pay with. They (PP) want a bank account. I long ago did away with that and they have only one credit card to use. Even using a bank, fake name???? I guess maybe set up a checking account with stolen ID but then try to get the money back after using??? This whole story sounds like most of it is just made up. Sounds like the guy got arrested and the rest is someone making up crap to fill out an article.

Sounds like a dirtbag but I take issue with this part of the article: "and five bump stocks, which are used to change regular assault rifles into automatic weapons."

after reading this
Kimpton's alleged gun-buying scheme worked this way: Using online gun marketplace sites such as ArmsList.com, Kimpton first purchased firearms, bullets, firearm scopes, tactical gear and related goods from individual and retail sellers all over the country, often using fictitious names, according to the complaint.

Kimpton paid for the items using electronic payment platforms like PayPal and had them shipped by mail to federal firearms license-holders in the South Carolina counties of Richland, Lexington, York, Saluda and Kershaw, as well as in the Charlotte area, the complaint said.

After picking up the guns and other gear, Kimpton would contest the sale, alleging that he never received the items.

"The sellers are then left without their property or payment, and Kimpton retains both the property and the fraudulently reverted funds," the complaint said.
i call BS on the arrest affidavit

article said:
Investigators say he would then contest the purchases, after receiving the items, and get a full refund.
One great reason to cease using PayPal.

The guy who scammed me was caught,

This same story was posted several days ago and I still find it REALLY hard to believe there is not a lot more here. PayPal is very anti using them for anything gun. If someone used a real PP account for gun stuff I am not sure they would be willing to refund the buyers money. Also I find it really hard to swallow that he is making up fake PP accounts since he would also have to have a bank account to go with them to get the money from.

... Also I find it really hard to swallow that he is making up fake PP accounts since he would also have to have a bank account to go with them to get the money from.

When I had a PP account, I opened up a bank account specifically for PP and I would immediately transfer money out of my PP-dedicated account to may main account when I got any. A person can have as many bank accounts as they want. I have six bank accounts right now each for a specific (legitimate) purposes and I've had more than that in the past when I've had other purposes, like a dedicated bank account for PP linking. I'm not sure I understand your skepticism -- there's a guy on this forum who got burned by this bum and apparently, quite a few others.

When I had a PP account, I opened up a bank account specifically for PP and I would immediately transfer money out of my PP-dedicated account to may main account when I got any. A person can have as many bank accounts as they want. I have six bank accounts right now each for a specific (legitimate) purposes and I've had more than that in the past when I've had other purposes, like a dedicated bank account for PP linking. I'm not sure I understand your skepticism -- there's a guy on this forum who got burned by this bum and apparently, quite a few others.
So you made up fake bank accounts then??? I had no idea it was that easy these days, new one on me

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top