JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Horribly tragic story, if it truely was an accident. Opinions?

<broken link removed>

WINTER SPRINGS, Fla. -- A man who thought there was an intruder in his house shot and killed his fiancee the day before they were to be married, police said Friday.

"Right now everything points to a tragic accident," Police Chief Kevin Brunelle told The Associated Press, adding investigators were awaiting forensic results.

John Tabutt, 62, told investigators he got his gun when he thought he heard an intruder, then fired at a figure in the hallway, according to Brunelle. It was Tabutt's live-in fiancee, 62-year-old Nancy Dinsmore, who family members say he was going to marry Saturday. Tabutt told authorities he thought she was next to him in bed the whole time.

A message left for a phone number listed for the house was not returned.

Brunelle said no charges have been filed against Tabutt, adding the information he provided has been verified and he appeared "very distraught."
Tabutt was "very concerned about her well-being," standing by while she was pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics, Brunelle added.
The couple planned to wed in a small ceremony Saturday at St. Stephen Catholic Church in Winter Springs, Dinsmore's son-in-law Scott Sposato, of Vero Beach, told the Orlando Sentinel.

"They loved each other," he said. "It was quite apparent."

Tabutt called 911 shortly after 2:30 a.m. Friday, moaning and sobbing, the newspaper reported.
"I thought I had an intruder in the house," he told the emergency dispatcher. "Honest to God, she looks dead."

He then thought he heard her take a breath.

"Hang in there, Honey. Hang in there," he said.
Winter Springs is about 15 miles north of Orlando.

I think that it could have been easily prevented if he didn't blindly fire at some figure in his hall way. Especially when he lives with another person.

Know your target, know what's behind your target.

Sorry but there's ABSOLUTLY no excuse for this. YOU never go LOOKING for the intruder, you Phone 911 immediatly, let them know you have an intruder and that you are armed, sit and wait armed and ready. Its amazing how fast police response will be when you say "ARMED".... Im sure many of you will have different opinions but if/when I ever have to start barkin off 45's im going to make damned sure it was ONLY in self defense..

IE
I phoned police
intruder entered my general vicinity
my LIFE was threatened
I neutralized the intruder.
Just my 2 pennies.

This actually happened in Tualatin a year and a half ago or so.
A Iraq War Vet just got hired on the City Police and he was practicing drawing his firearm when his wife walked in the door, spooked him and accidentally fired and killed her.
It was a very sad story.
But I still have to ask myself, why are you practicing pulling your gun in the house when it's loaded, safety off?
I mean I know the difference between a loaded firearm and unloaded would be a little bit of a weight difference but c'mon.

I feel very sorry for him and his/her family.
Accidents do happen, but if people use their heads and always handle their firearms safetly this should never happen.
This story is the reason I keep flahlights all over the house. If it's dark or the lights go out, I'm going to see what I'm shootin at.

This actually happened in Tualatin a year and a half ago or so.
A Iraq War Vet just got hired on the City Police and he was practicing drawing his firearm when his wife walked in the door, spooked him and accidentally fired and killed her.
It was a very sad story.
But I still have to ask myself, why are you practicing pulling your gun in the house when it's loaded, safety off?
I mean I know the difference between a loaded firearm and unloaded would be a little bit of a weight difference but c'mon.

I feel very sorry for him and his/her family.
Accidents do happen, but if people use their heads and always handle their firearms safetly this should never happen.
This story is the reason I keep flahlights all over the house. If it's dark or the lights go out, I'm going to see what I'm shootin at.

This guy is a VET and a Police officer, and he is screwing around with a loaded gun? Jerks like this make it bad for all gunowners! Inexcusable!

Sorry but there's ABSOLUTLY no excuse for this. YOU never go LOOKING for the intruder, you Phone 911 immediatly, let them know you have an intruder and that you are armed, sit and wait armed and ready. Its amazing how fast police response will be when you say "ARMED".... Im sure many of you will have different opinions but if/when I ever have to start barkin off 45's im going to make damned sure it was ONLY in self defense

READ THE LAST SENTENCE.
:s0067:

I was taught growing up around guns to always confirm your target. If you have the slightest doubt or uncertainty of whatever it is in your crosshairs, you'd better wait till your sure. This applies best to hunting, and home/self defense.

I will always go to investigate noises at night with a loaded weapon. But I always have my Streamlight Stinger XT in my other hand. To me, this guy's irresponsibility cost that woman her life. Period. Maybe if the guy lived alone in the house, so he was sure that their "shouldnt/couldnt" be an unexplained shadowy figure in the hallway, maybe then I could see the mistake.

As far as the cop story goes, sounds fishy to me also. Ive lived closely with Deputies, and been a Reserve myself, and know that you DONT train with a loaded weapon in your home, and especially with no safety on. Even beyond that though, its just common sense.

Speak for yourself, man.
Violence of Action.

Sure, but from what I know drywall doesnt stop bullets very well.
you go lookin for trouble in an offensive manner a DA will tear your rear up in court painting you as a trigger happy rambo.
Im not opposed to given Mr Johnny Puke a round or 2 in the chest if need be but you better make sure you use only reasonable force. One of my friends I grew up with, never broke a law in his life, he had a burgler break into his house, he shot the guy in the neck killing him.. My friend is now serveing a life sentence in the Neveda Jail System, convicted of murder in the 2nd degree. This was a man with no priors, turned down a plea deal of manslaughter serving 5 iirc. Now he's serving life with possible parole in 10.. you choose your way, I'll choose mine.. like i said different opinions..:s0155:

I saw that story on the news. I can't believe that he did that. He saw a shadowy figure, so he shot at it. C'mon, dude, you are making all gun owners look like fools. My wife would be so pissed if I shot her when she got up to go get a drink of milk in the middle of the night.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top