Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Man, 20, charged with manslaughter in slaying of car prowler

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by Joe Link, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Original story here: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2009929493_webmanslaughter23m.html?syndication=rss

2. darkminstrel

darkminstrel PDX Well-Known Member

That was the guy with the one round Mosin-Nagant head shot. I was hoping he wouldn't get in trouble for it. Damn.

3. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

It's a shame that someone died over a subwoofer but I don't have the slightest sympathy for the deceased. This would never happen to any of us because we would never break into someones car.

I do feel sorry for the victim, as well as his legal burden he will have this undeserving low life on his conscious the rest of his life!

I don't mean to sound racist but it appears the criminals were "undocumented workers!" :D

As a side note the DA should have charged the accomplice of the dead criminal with murder as the death occurred while committing a crime he was involved in.

4. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

While I have no sympathy for the dead scumbag and am very sorry for Mr. Sheets and the ongoing problems he will face, this serves as a reminder for all of us that a piece of property just isn't worth ruining your life over. If the scumbag had not been shot in the back of the head, this story might have turned out very differently.

Sad all around. :(

5. eriknemily

eriknemily Tillamook County (Cheese!) Member

Doesn't sound racist at all. I have no idea what race, besides human, the accomplices were. The deceased criminal just didn't seem to understand english and it cost him his life;)
    People should be able to defend their property in the way the victim did. He saved his property, another worthless scumbag is off the streets and his accomplices will probably think twice before committing crimes in the future.

The only downside is that Washington is probably paying out more welfare than they were before to this guy's family.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  6. smithmax

smithmax here Member

Just to clarify something, nobody here thinks that it is acceptable to shoot someone in the back of the head from 70ft because of a car speaker, right?

7. Teufel_Hunden

Teufel_Hunden Albany, Oregon Active Member

I prefer dead perpetrators !

8. Mutoman

Mutoman North Bend Active Member

This is a good reason to have a "throw-away" gun at your disposal.

9. Teufel_Hunden

Teufel_Hunden Albany, Oregon Active Member

I WAS fanning the fire but.....WOW. I didn't see that comment coming!!!

:angeldevil:

10. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

I would not shoot someone in the head for steal my car let alone my car stereo. I would have no compunction against pointing a gun at them if I caught them though and if they posed a physical threat the situation would not be shooting them for stealing your stereo if would be shooting them to protect yourself.

An argument one could raise is why go out to a potentially dangerous situation then? My answer is that I have the right to protect my property and I will do so!

A bullet fired at you from 70 feet can close the distance quite fast!

11. wakejoe

wakejoe Beaverton, OR Well-Known Member

One less car stereo thief to worry about.

I'd definitely pop him in the leg, though. 100%.

12. Scott

Scott Battle Ground Well-Known Member

Pop in the leg. Ouch and would teach him a damn good lesson. I could not do that myself in this situation because I would find myself in this guy's situation. I see this guy getting a public defender who sucks and pleads out to a 15 year sentence and owe tens of thousands for his actions. Don't get me wrong I am glad he stopped a criminal but look at the cost of his actions. I will not hesitate to shoot someone only if it is a serious moment and the last resort. The reason I say that I read an article in the Rifleman about self defense and the average costs. The average costs for a self defense case was stated as $60,000. Even when I was in the military you have all these stupid rules and regs when egaging enemies and all you do is think to your self if blow the babe ruth out of them and get it over with. If this guy was in Texas though he most likely would be free but he is in a liberal city and state so that plays a part to the outcome of his faith.

13. wakejoe

wakejoe Beaverton, OR Well-Known Member

I have a problem with Authority, and simply wouldn't pay. I have a hard time believing they'd even get me into the court room. Last time we got subpoena as witnesses, I told them directly that I won't be in attendance. "I'll go if I can keep my firearm." Technically I could have warrants out or something, but I dunno. I got a speeding ticket since then, and nothing happened.

The point is, why should they be allowed to counter sue and all this stuff? He was breaking into my private property, to violate my privacy and steal from me. He gets whatever comes his way. If shooting intruders/burglers/car theifs was more common-place, I don't think there would be an issue. So my solution is to do it, and hope others do to. Eventually, it will get so normal, no one will blink.

I do, however, agree that the life should not have been taken. I'm not necessarily sad that it was, but I wouldn't have gone for the headshot.

14. Scott

Scott Battle Ground Well-Known Member

You are right about people stealing your stuff and we have to sit back and take it and it sucks. People like that should have their damn hands cut off and if these people were punished and given stiff sentences it would make things a little nicer. It also seems like they have more rights than you. You go to work to have a home, car, boat and things you need and want and some idiot thinks he is entitled to it and you stop him and now you are the bad guy and in trouble. System sucks.

15. torpedoman

torpedoman land of corrupt politicians Member

WRONG That is my nickle if you want one get a job.

16. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

follow your local laws.

17. 2gr8dgs

2gr8dgs oregon Active Member

hey man, nice shot!

18. el gringo loco

el gringo loco PDX Member

nope

19. pdxjohann

pdxjohann Portland near Tigard Member

He was shot in the back for theft.

20. 2gr8dgs

2gr8dgs oregon Active Member

If he didn't want to get shot in the back, maybe he should have ran in a different direction?