Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Malware removal??......

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mikej, May 23, 2013.

1. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I've pick up a bug of some kind on the old PC. Went to one sight that found all kinds of issues, after a free scan of course, and then wanted $29.00 to fix them....not at this point. It was from "Spark Trust", anybody familiar, with the software? This has happened twice in the last four years. first time cost me a C-note and the motherboard fried in the process. Last time a year ago on this new PC, cost me a C-note all was well. I went to the Microsoft sight and a scan mentioned the :Alureon Trojan. tried to remove it and it said it wasn't completely removed.

Somehow I've disabled Flash Player?? youtube won't work, weather map looping won't work, DAMN!

What to do now before it's too late? I am really a computer illiterate!

Mike

2. solv3nt

solv3nt Portland Well-Known Member

I've been running Avast as a virus scanner, and I've found viruses on computers that had McAfee and Norton installed on them. It's a free scanner.

jbett98, bellarum, ATCclears and 3 others like this.
  3. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Linux.

JVK, solv3nt, drew and 3 others like this.
  4. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

5. JGRuby

JGRuby Portland Oregon New Member

Without being smart - rebuilding the PC might be the best solution - your backups may not be usable depending on when those backups were taken in relationship to when you beleive you recived the virus. A backup now may only put this virus on your new build if you were to use them.
    If you are on Comcast - they provide Norton for free and might be a help in the future.

My job is as a Backup and Recovery admin. Viruses are a big issue and in most cases they never get through but every once in a while they do - rarely. When they do get through - we simply reimage the desk top.

James Ruby

6. JGRuby

JGRuby Portland Oregon New Member

I often wonder if the companies that create the anit virus software dont also create the viruses. Kind of keeps them in business.

James Ruby

7. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

Yeah, they are like the FBI and domestic terrorism that way.

8. Scott

Scott Battle Ground Well-Known Member

Panda will scan for free but have to buy software to fix.

I used panda for years until Norton fixed the memory hog issue.

Now Norton all the way. I have never had a virus.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

9. ATCclears

ATCclears Seattle area, WA Well-Known Member

10. t.huynh

t.huynh vancouver, wa Active Member

I second malwarebytes. Good piece of kit. All the stuff that lets you scan for free, then make you pay are usually scams. Use chrome, I've switched all my family members to it and they haven't had viruses or malware since. And, that is coming from the people who would get malware/adware weekly.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

11. FortunateSon

FortunateSon Marion County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Go here, this will cure your machine as long as you follow the directions and don't skip any steps.

READ & RUN ME FIRST Malware Removal Guide (incl. spyware, virus, trojan, hijacker) - MajorGeeks Support Forums

My PC was slammed and this took care of it. Now I use Malware Bytes and Super AntiSpyware, along with Microsoft's Security Essentials. All are free. The Malware Bytes and Super AntiSpyware free versions do not actively monitor your computer, but if you update weekly and runs scans you will be good to go. Say want you want about Microsoft, MS Security Essentials is a very good program and it does actively monitor your system and will update automatically whenever updates are available. And did I mention that all three are FREE Applications?

In addition to these I also use the free version of Comodo Firewall, which runs in conjunction with the Hardware Firewall built in to my wireless.

I haven't had any issues since cleaning my machine using the instructions at MajorGeeks, and I am all over the internet.........

carracer and (deleted member) like this.
  12. FortunateSon

Yeah, and I also use Chrome. Fast and secure.........

13. oknow

oknow amboy wa. Well-Known Member

not so sure on the secure part, isn't it run by google backed by the gooberment?

14. FortunateSon

Well, nothing is totally secure but in comparison to IE, yes it is secure. My opinion, of course. And I am no Geek..........

15. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

No, it isn't.

16. jrprich

jrprich PNW Well-Known Member

Have you tried using System Restore in Windows? Easy way to get rid of nasty bugs as it will restore your PC to a date before you got the bug and it does not delete any documents.

Burt Gummer and (deleted member) like this.
  17. carracer

carracer Nampa, Idaho Active Member

Majorgeeks is my go-to place for this kind of stuff for almost 10 years. Has never failed my yet.

18. Kable

Kable Lynnwood Active Member

As mentioned before malwarebytes is really good for removing most that garbage. Avast is a good free anti virus and surprisingly Microsoft's security essentials is also decent which is hard for me to say because I loathe Microsoft. Stay away from internet explorer. I use Firefox and make sure you're up to date on all Windows updates and security patches for all software and keep updated on Java and Adobe flash player, they like to expose security holes in those. Also do not ever run internet straight off your modem you NEED a router (firewall)

Redcap and (deleted member) like this.
  19. jrprich

jrprich PNW Well-Known Member

Another great anti spyware and crap removal tool is "Spybot Search and Destroy" . Often finds nastys that malwarebytes misses.

20. saxon

saxon springfield Active Member

to add the the others also get AVG it is free as well.

with all that have been talked about in the quotes i run win 7 and use only IE and have NEVER had any issues