JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
well execpt in his PSA and on tosh .o he still said it was the holsters fault..............................his mucles had a mamory of the holster he was using that morning so when he swaped out holsters that was why he shot him self,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, it was the serpas fault

Thats what I got!

I was surprised a 45acp round would only do that much damage to his leg. Lucky he wasn't practicing that close quarters drill with fragmentation rounds on steel, or hollow points vs FMJ. He missed his knee also, which would have probably made him a cripple.

Hopefully something like this will never happen to myself or anyone else around me at the range. I do carry a little trauma kit with wound dressings in my trunk. It would be nice to take a basic first aid class at some point since I am pretty clueless in that department. Everything I know about patching up a wound I learned from watching First Blood lol.

There are a lot of people that have died from 45acp FMJRN - it has been used in at least two world wars and many squrmishes around the world and you dont think it will kill a rabbit?

James Ruby

I would think that at that range, flaming gasses following the path of the bullet would pretty well cauterize the wound. I would like to hear from someone with a better grasp of wound ballistics than I have. That would be almost anybody!

Sorry I typed frangible when I meant fragmenting. I had 22lr fragmenting rounds and damn they are nasty little things. 3-4 parts go off on their separate ways.

I would think frangible would be nasty in its own way if the bullet were to completely penetrate. Just a metallic (?) powder at that point inside your leg. Seems like it would be horrible.

Ya know it was great that he took ownership of his mistake, made a video to educate others and all that stuff. I just have one other thing to say.......

Better him than me.

.45 ACP Hydro Shock at close quarters on a Ham with no secondary fragmentation from bone etc. Just a straight through shot...we did this on purpose to practice proper GSW packing for a Tactical Med Class. The hole looks worse than it really is. It is slightly larger than the entrance wound. The same results with .40 HP, .40 Frang, and 9mm HP.

Typical Handgun GSW - the diameter of the bullet going in, and the same, or slightly larger going out.

Now 12 Gauge OO Buck with Flight Control a different story. Entrance wound is the size of the wad/buck but the exit wound is substantially larger and was a bugg'r to pack the wound. Ran thru the H&H fast!

45ACPthruHam3.jpg 12gaugeBuckFlightControl.jpg

There is a reason why SERPA holsters are banned in LOTS of different firearms schools: They make an ND on the draw VERY easy to do, especially under stress. I know Front Site has claimed that 99% of all of their accidents EVER resulted from SERPA holsters, which is why they finally banned them.

There are lots of different types of retention holsters out there that don't require you to index with pressure, a tab that aligns almost perfectly to the trigger guard to release them. This means on the draw, particularly under stress, it's very easy for the trigger finger to slip into the trigger guard and cause an ND.

This, IMO, is the problem with SERPAs. Sure, lots of people use them with no problem. But the number of NDs I see and hear about on the draw using SERPAs are vastly more than all other accidents COMBINED.

Imagine being at a class where you're working with traditional, no retention holsters.

The instructor tells you to put your finger just above the trigger guard on the outside of the holster and press in firmly AS you draw.

Would anyone NOT tell that instructor his method is BS crazy and very likely to produce an ND on the draw, particularly under stress?

This is EXACTLY how SERPAs are DESIGNED to work. I'm sure I could work past the SERPA design flaw with enough repetitions that the perfect finger position would be muscle memory. -On a range. -With no one shooting at me. -With no one wrestling with me.

I bought a SERPA years ago and used it a few times, but that design flaw was so damned glaring I stopped using it and threw it away.

I later found out that they have been banned at numerous schools and IDPA functions as well as by a few military organizations because of their actual experience of multiple injury-NDs on the draw which happened BECAUSE the design makes it so easy for a finger to slide directly onto the trigger on the draw.

I won't allow them on the range in any class I teach because I view them as nothing but an invitation to injury and a lawsuit.

There are lots of other retention holsters out there which are very quick on the draw, from traditional thumb-break to Safariland's ALS/QLS etc.

I'm still very surprised that Blackhawk hasn't been sued into oblivion for what seems to be a clear and obvious consumer safety defect in design. Then again, maybe they have and it's been "settled" so quickly that it hasn't hit the news. Who knows?

Why would you have to think to safety and holster your pistol?

Look, I'm not here to argue. I was just pointing out that I'm not in a position to be all Billy Badass sitting on the couch coaching and pontificating about what a dumbass this fellow was. Do you know how many times I've shot myself? Exactly zero. How many repetitions have I done on drawing, firing and re-holstering my firearm? A lot -- more than I can easily figure out.

Maybe in your (and others') world you have sufficient repetition & drill under your belt that there's no way you wouldn't act in a controlled and predictable manner if something like this happened. But if you're at all like me, the fact this DID happen, automatically would throw me for a loop. Just as I imagine it did this guy. His "normal" drill was to draw, target, fire, re-holster. But this time he thought he was drawing, but ended up firing. The survival part of my mind might just say, "Hey dumbass, don't re-holster that thing -- you just shot yourself, so clearly the gun is malfunctioning (or you are)..." Why on earth would I continue doing the "normal" thing, when doing the "normal" thing resulted in a bullet going through my leg?

That's all I'm trying to point out. It was an unusual situation -- and without knowing the cause right off the bat, it was probably an instinct that over rode any training...

well execpt in his PSA and on tosh .o he still said it was the holsters fault..............................his mucles had a mamory of the holster he was using that morning so when he swaped out holsters that was why he shot him self,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, it was the serpas fault

Looks like he has two large mammaries, lol.

If you pay close attention in the slow-mo portion of the video, you can actually see the shockwave on his pants of the bullet travelling through his leg and then a small poof in the dirt, almost missed his foot.

But seriously, mistakes can happen, hopefully I or a loved one never go through that.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top