JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone know of a good online resource for finding templates or plans for rifle stocks? I recently came into a mess of burl walnut and thought I would give it a try.
I have a cz455 trainer, was thinking that I'd like to put an American stock on it, for a better cheek weld with a scope.
I also found an old gun stock checkering kit, so I'm pretty much sold on the idea of trying this out...

The Modern GunSmith by James Howe is a good resource for stock design.
Be advised that it was published in 1934 so it isn't so "modern" anymore ... LOL
But it still has good information on basic gunsmithing and stock work.
Andy

What I find helps is to have a rifle handy that you can get the general size and dimensions from, and then look at as many pictures of designs you like and draw them out to the size that you need plus a little extra that you work down to! Make as many drawings on your blank as you need until you get to something you like! Use pencil so that you can "do over" as often as it takes! A band saw really helps rough out the initial design and from there various hand tools to carve and shape! I really like Spoke Shaves and rasps for this and wood dowels for building the barrel and action channel! A table saw can speed this step up, but be careful! I also prefer hand drills for drilling out the various parts that I need! Hand chisels and a wooden or leather mallet are also very useful tools! Have fun, take your time, check often, and enjoy the fruits of your labors! With a little practice you can make some very sexy stocks that every one will like to see! BTW, Midway USA has a great series of videos on Youtube that show a lot of stock work including checkering!

Thanks for the tips! I'll definitely check out the videos and book. I'm going to see if the folks at precise shooter (where I originally bought the rifle) will let me trace the outline of one of their display models, so I have something to work off of. If not, I guess I'll just freehand something. I plan on taking my time, and doing a practice run on a chunk of cheap wood first! Fortunately I have pretty much all the tools I'll need for the job, except a spokeshave, which I'll definitely pick up as I think that one of those will allow me to finesse the edges a lot easier than a planer would.

About the wood. How well cured is it? Most gunstock wood is curved for many many years. Otherwise it will warp and change as it continues to dry.

I have a friend who builds muzzle loading rifles his wood is stored up stairs in his wood heated shop and as a rule most woods are cut down to about 3" thick slab about 1-2" larger in profile then the stock will be and it cures that way for 10 or more years. Some pieces as much as 20 years he has been waiting.

About the wood. How well cured is it? Most gunstock wood is curved for many many years. Otherwise it will warp and change as it continues to dry.

I have a friend who builds muzzle loading rifles his wood is stored up stairs in his wood heated shop and as a rule most woods are cut down to about 3" thick slab about 1-2" larger in profile then the stock will be and it cures that way for 10 or more years. Some pieces as much as 20 years he has been waiting.
It's been sitting in a heated wood shop for about 15 years, maybe even longer, I'm pretty sure it's good to go. That was something I didn't even think about though, so thanks for throwing that out there. When I get to the shop today I'll take a picture of the stack to show you guys, it's pretty freakin impressive.
Thanks, @bolus, I think I may invest in a couple of those templates!

I just checked it out, looks great! I'm a sucker for good woodworking books and magazines though.. I have a file cabinet stuffed to capacity with back issues of fine woodworking.

Checkering and Carving of Gunstocks by Monty Kennedy is a good book, too. Although the info is fairly old, it has lots of pretty clear techniques, including layout, finishing, and building a stock cradle.
Also, Gunsmithing Tips and Projects Second Edition by Wolfe Publishing has a lot of info, too. I have a copy of the first edition, and re-read it quite often.
Oh, and I have quite a few issues of Fine Woodworking too....

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top