JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
You have shot just shot and killed someone in self defense. What do you tell the police when they arrive?

Here's a hint: NOTHING. Lawyer up immediately.

Everyone should few these videos, yes they are a bit long, but worth it.

<broken link removed>

<broken link removed>

Talking to the Police by Professor James Duane

Professor Duane makes many excellent points in those videos. They are required watching in my house and I have had the kids watch them every
couple months.

There are a few times where one must carefully tread around saying absolutely nothing versus enough to get on one's way.

And, just to support the idea that not talking is good: Why You Shouldn't Talk to Police

Always get a second opinion!

-sbc

How do we expect the police to solve crimes if NOBODY talks to them. Are you suggesting that if you are VICTIM of crime or a WITNESS to a crime that you should also not talk to the police because they could potentially find out some information to pin that crime or another crime on you?

I guess I could imagine scenarios where a victim of a crime gives information to the police and they use it to charge the victim with some other crime.
Same with witnesses to a crime -- should every witness talk to a lawyer first?

Dude really?? If you are a witness to a crime go ahead and talk.. If you are or could be charged with murder based on your statement in a self defense shooting ask for a lawyer..

grow up and quit trying to take the " high road"

I was just thinking that the police might not be able to properly separate the Victim, the Witness, and the Criminal in all cases.

Therefore, if you talk to the police at all, the information you give them can be used to place you in the category of Criminal.

At least this is what I understand after reading these posts and seeing the video.

This is a major, huge subject and one that is often ignored or not even considered, until it is too late. That is reason I have brought it up. If you think the battle is over simply because the gunfight is over you are sorely mistaken. If you think the cops are your "friends" after a gunfight, justified or not, you are mistaken.

Understand this is not an attempt to bash the police or in any way disrespect them. It is not meant to make their very dangerous and difficult job more so. In fact, this subject applies to them as well and perhaps more so, they too can find themselves in very bad legal situations especially in these legislative times, add in a system and politicians that are all to eager the throw a cop under the bus to suit their own objectives and it can be a terrible mix for an otherwise upstanding officer.

I said on another thread I will post more detailed information to help clarify my position on the subject and will do so. Please be patient as it will be lengthy. In the meantime remember; minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open.

Dude really?? If you are a witness to a crime go ahead and talk.. If you are or could be charged with murder based on your statement in a self defense shooting ask for a lawyer..

grow up and quit trying to take the " high road"

I'd demand anonymity first...witness statements are a mater of public record (your 6th Amendment right to face your accuser). Remember, cover your own arse before you decide to raise your hand and say to the police "guess what I saw!"

Witness threats and intimidation is not just something you hear about in Hollywood movies. Many gangs have ties and pull- inside and outside the prison walls.

I'd demand anonymity first...witness statements are a mater of public record (your 6th Amendment right to face your accuser). Remember, cover your own arse before you decide to raise your hand and say to the police "guess what I saw!"

Witness threats and intimidation is not just something you hear about in Hollywood movies. Many gangs have ties and pull- inside and outside the prison walls.

I grew up in longbeach

I pity the gang that tries to threaten me.. USMC 4 Life.

Talking to the police other than stating you feared for your life can only hurt you. Dont say anything but...Its not about The cops, its about the report... That a prosecutors going to look at and try to screw you with.

Lawyer up.

I grew up in longbeach

I pity the gang that tries to threaten me.. USMC 4 Life.

Gangs are cowards...they won't mess with you directly...you will just have a letter in your mailbox stating where your kids go to school and what your wife drives. Where I work, we literally had gangs tell some of my co-workers how far their wife was along in their pregnancy, when they went to work, and how many kids they had.

I don't care how much of a bad mother f-er you try to be, that is one of the few things that scares the crap out of me. I'm not saying my wife is helpless, but she is no where near ready for a violent encounter as I am.

Gangs are cowards...they won't mess with you directly...you will just have a letter in your mailbox stating where your kids go to school and what your wife drives. Where I work, we literally had gangs tell some of my co-workers how far their wife was along in their pregnancy, when they went to work, and how many kids they had.

I don't care how much of a bad mother f-er you try to be, that is one of the few things that scares the crap out of me. I'm not saying my wife is helpless, but she is no where near ready for a violent encounter as I am.

+1:s0155:

Just taking and reposting what someone else posted in a different board. I think it's great advise.

Read more about it here.

Massad Ayoob’s Five-Point Checklist

1. Tell responding officers “I’m the victim; he is the perpetrator.”
2. Tell responding officers, “I will sign a complaint.”
3. Point out pertinent evidence.
4. Point out any witnesses who saw what happened.
5. If there is any hint that you are a suspect, say “Officer, you will have my full cooperation after I have counsel here.”

Just taking and reposting what someone else posted in a different board. I think it's great advise.

Read more about it here.

5. If there is any hint that you are a suspect, say “Officer, you will have my full cooperation after I have counsel here.”

If I was to take anyone's advice, it would be Massad Ayoob's!:s0155:

If I was to take anyone's advice, it would be Massad Ayoob's!:s0155:

+2. Good luck getting away without ever making a statement unless there were a lot of witnesses. Shooting someone isn't criminal when it's justified and you just may be the only person able to justify your own actions. Imagine the event the true bad guy lies and describes you as the criminal. It's not as simple as lawyering up.

Read more about it here.

Just remember, "Anything you say can and will be used against you." You feel the need to blab, talk to a lawyer first. I'd state line 5 first and talk through a lawyer. "Anything you say can and will be used against you." "Anything you say can and will be used against you." "Anything you say can and will be used against you." "Anything you say can and will be used against you." "Anything you say can and will be used against you." "Anything you say can and will be used against you." ;)

Did anyone catch what the LEO said near the end? It was something like " We are able to lie to the suspect during an interrogation."

That is messed up! And the Court/Judge/DA would actually believe the LEO over the defendant. What a shame!

Just remember, "Anything you say can and will be used against you." You feel the need to blab, talk to a lawyer first. I'd state line 5 first and talk through a lawyer. "Anything you say can and will be used against you." "Anything you say can and will be used against you." "Anything you say can and will be used against you." "Anything you say can and will be used against you." "Anything you say can and will be used against you." "Anything you say can and will be used against you." ;)

Well, I figure Mas Ayoob has been an expert witness in self-defense shooting cases for over thirty years. I would expect he has seen all kinds of actions by individuals following shooting incidents. He's seen what has worked and what has not in ACTUAL cases and seen ACTUAL verdicts from those actions. God forbid I am ever involved in a self-defense shooting, but if I am, I would generally think it a good idea to follow Mas Ayoob's advise...

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads