JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This has been a very interesting read. I agree with the possibility of needing to speak through a lawyer as in this day and age you can never tell who is really on your side sometimes. That being said, it would be interesting if anyone here had referrals for attorneys relating to matters such as this in the different regions this forum covers.

Anyone know someone in southern Oregon where I live that they could refer so I could have that name in the back of my head?

This has been a very interesting read. I agree with the possibility of needing to speak through a lawyer as in this day and age you can never tell who is really on your side sometimes. That being said, it would be interesting if anyone here had referrals for attorneys relating to matters such as this in the different regions this forum covers.

Anyone know someone in southern Oregon where I live that they could refer so I could have that name in the back of my head?

I'd go with the same lawyer the police unions hire because those are the lawyers that specialize in use of force.

Having been to a shooting where the victim shot the suspect after an attempted robbery. The victim was very cooperative and had put his pistol away before officers arrived on scene. The suspect was screaming like a *****, the 45 tore him up and he was in no mood to fight.

I appreciated the victim and most of the cops knew what was up. So, perhaps say enough like I was defending myself from being robbed and I am calling my lawyer now. Be safe.

Immediately call 911. Ask for an ambulance and the police. Give a brief description of what happened:

"An armed intruder kicked in my front door and shots were fired. The intruder is down and requires medical assistance.

When the police arrive:

"I'm glad to see you. That intruder kicked in my front door. You can see his knife there on the floor. I was in fear of my life and shots were fired. I want to help, but I need to talk to a lawyer before I say anything more."

Immediately call 911. Ask for an ambulance and the police. Give a brief description of what happened:

"An armed intruder kicked in my front door and shots were fired. The intruder is down and requires medical assistance.

When the police arrive:

"That intruder kicked in my front door. You can see his knife there on the floor. I was in fear of my life and shots were fired. I want to help, but I need to talk to a lawyer before I say anything more."

Good advice. Pray none of us ever have to use it.

When I took my CHL class in Corvallis with Baine(?), a retired reserve Benton County Sheriff and a retired Benton County Judge:

"After a shoot, when the cops show up say this and this only: That son of a bubblegum was going to kill me. I would like to talk to a lawyer."

Dude really?? If you are a witness to a crime go ahead and talk.. If you are or could be charged with murder based on your statement in a self defense shooting ask for a lawyer..

grow up and quit trying to take the " high road"

Grow up? Only a cop or a tool would say somthing like that. If you are unfortuante to have taken a life and your not a cop ,shut up ,and lawyer up,or your going to take it up the butt.Cops have their cop union,cop buddys,judges,and their attorneys to get them off every time thay murder one of us. We only have the law ,so don't loose what littleyou have.

The only thing I will say to the police is that I have rights, I choose to exercise my rights..... I need a lawyer. The fact that a cop can lie to you and not have it be used against him/her is enough for me.... it's enough to make me wanna keep my mouth shut. I can always explain why I didn't talk to police, or why I didn't give a statement to the police without legal counsel. But if you do open your yap and say something, you will probably say something wrong and you can't go back and fix that. A smart person would calm down, think about what happened and when the time and place is right, he or she can talk with a lawyer present. Only a FOOL would talk to police after such a dramatic experience. I could care less if a cop thought I was guilty, not his/her job to decide.... that is why you go to court, so no need to prove yourself to anyone.... you will have your day in court.

The only thing I will say to the police is that I have rights, I choose to exercise my rights..... I need a lawyer. The fact that a cop can lie to you and not have it be used against him/her is enough for me.... it's enough to make me wanna keep my mouth shut. I can always explain why I didn't talk to police, or why I didn't give a statement to the police without legal counsel. But if you do open your yap and say something, you will probably say something wrong and you can't go back and fix that. A smart person would calm down, think about what happened and when the time and place is right, he or she can talk with a lawyer present. Only a FOOL would talk to police after such a dramatic experience. I could care less if a cop thought I was guilty, not his/her job to decide.... that is why you go to court, so no need to prove yourself to anyone.... you will have your day in court.

:s0155:

Contact the Oregon Bar Association. Explain your concerns and they will refer you to an attorney in your area. I am sure they have a website as well. A consultation will cost less than you might expect and the contact might prove invaluable in the event of need.

I have several friends and family that always told me if im involved in a crime don't say a word.
However if I'm going to be in a situaton where I had to use deadliy force against someone I would think it's important to give a few facts to the officers.
I'm not afraid of the officers, I'm afraid of the liberal DA that wants to spin the details of the report. That's why not cooperating or being defensive can be a bad thing and make you look like you were the aggressor.
Give a few details and make sure if your in that situation make sure you call the cops asap, and/or being yelling for people to call the cops. Make for sure your the one that looks like the victim in everyone's eyes. And also giving info or lack there of should always extend to the 911 call. That can be more incriminating than a police report.

I have several friends and family that always told me if im involved in a crime don't say a word.
However if I'm going to be in a situaton where I had to use deadliy force against someone I would think it's important to give a few facts to the officers.
I'm not afraid of the officers, I'm afraid of the liberal DA that wants to spin the details of the report. That's why not cooperating or being defensive can be a bad thing and make you look like you were the aggressor.
Give a few details and make sure if your in that situation make sure you call the cops asap, and/or being yelling for people to call the cops. Make for sure your the one that looks like the victim in everyone's eyes. And also giving info or lack there of should always extend to the 911 call. That can be more incriminating than a police report.

Anything you say can and will be used against you. And it will, every word you utter will be examined and construed to make you look like the bad guy, no mater what the circumstances are. Our Country once had the notion you were innocent until proven guilty, that is no longer the case. Guilt rest on the one who "harmed" the other and it don't mater a rats arse as to why it happened.

Anything you say can and will be used against you. And it will, every word you utter will be examined and construed to make you look like the bad guy, no mater what the circumstances are. Our Country once had the notion you were innocent until proven guilty, that is no longer the case. Guilt rest on the one who "harmed" the other and it don't mater a rats arse as to why it happened.

To take it a step further, law enforcement will attempt to convince you that they are there to help you, but the only way they can do that is if you waive your rights. (unfortunately, a lot of people fall for this) They can lie to you without incrimination, but heaven forbid you lie to them. Or even better yet, you tell the truth only to have it twisted to look like a lie. Other than maybe some basic information, just keep your mouth shut until you talk to your lawyer.

I agree, However, you don't want to look as if your trying to hide something. It's a very thin line.

And no matter what you do or say you will be wrong for protecting yourself/family.

"I believe that I am not responsible for your safety. The police are not responsible for your safety. That's your job. You have no "right to feel safe." Such a right would put an obligation upon others that cannot be fulfilled. You have a duty (should you choose to accept it) to protect yourself and a duty to help protect the society in which you live, but those duties carry with them a certain amount of unavoidable risk. Dealing with risk is one thing adults do."

The Smallest Minority: The Duty to Protect

Grow up? Only a cop or a tool would say somthing like that. If you are unfortuante to have taken a life and your not a cop ,shut up ,and lawyer up,or your going to take it up the butt.Cops have their cop union,cop buddys,judges,and their attorneys to get them off every time thay murder one of us. We only have the law ,so don't loose what littleyou have.

lol people on this forum are hilarious. did you even read what was said before you start blabbing? he just said EXACTLY what you said. :s0114:

pchewn is the one going on about how you should spill your guts to the cops after the incident and Sweetbeard said no you should shut up and lawyer up. isn't that what you said? :s0114:

I agree, However, you don't want to look as if your trying to hide something. It's a very thin line.

And no matter what you do or say you will be wrong for protecting yourself/family.

Hide something? OMG, would you really feel the need to hide something if you are innocent? We are not talking about hiding anything from anyone, we are talking about being innocent until proven otherwise and the way we are forced to do that is by keeping our mouths shut and talking through a lawyer. "Officer, I will cooperate fully with the police in this investigation after I have spoken to a lawyer". Be polite, offer no resistance other than politely repeating your request to speak to a lawyer. You cannot be hung on words you did not speak.

pchewn is the one going on about how you should spill your guts to the cops after the incident and Sweetbeard said no you should shut up and lawyer up. isn't that what you said? :s0114:

Really? I was "going on about how you should spill your guts to the cops" ???

You got that from one post where I asked a question about talking to the police when you are a victim or a witness to a crime?

Reading comprehension: Fail

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews