JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
But it's not.

Perhaps it is because I live a larger city, or maybe it is because I have had my car broken into a few times, but I know that a gun is not truly secured when it is in a locked vehicle out of sight. Does it show an effort to secure the gun? Yes. But, anyone who thinks that doing this will keep their gun from being stolen is kidding themselves.

Based on this statement it is not secure on your person either since someone could knock you cold with a baseball bat and take it off of you along with your wallet.

Based on this statement it is not secure on your person either since someone could knock you cold with a baseball bat and take it off of you along with your wallet.

People can also break into my house when I am not home. So I gues it is unsafe to leave my guns there either. I guess some of us are goung to have to buy some pretty big concealment shirts to cover all of our guns at once.

Another way to look at this is if a governmental entity wants to prohibit firearms/weapons from their building they need to provide a lock box. Washington state does this in their court houses.

I discovered this several years ago while renewing my WA CHL at the Snohomish county court house. I asked the deputy manning the metal detector and he said I could use them. He was appreciative that I went and retreived it from my vehicle and locked it in the lock box. Its a good feeling to not have to worry about some dirt urchin stealing your firearm while you are conducting business at the court house.

People can also break into my house when I am not home. So I gues it is unsafe to leave my guns there either. I guess some of us are goung to have to buy some pretty big concealment shirts to cover all of our guns at once.

PP and Hapuna,

I get your point, but the stats don't back it. The fact is that the liklihood if being the victim of a car prowl is significantly higher than being the the victim of a pedestrian robbery or a residential burglary. I'm talking probability, not possibility. Car prowls are a very common crime in Portland. Because it is a crime that can happen almost anywhere, at any time of day, takes only a minute or so to do and has a low chance of forensic evidence being left behind, very few arrests are made. Additionally, in Oregon, it is treated as a low level felony with little chance of significant incarceration. A car prowler can hit hundreds of vehicles before being caught. Burglaries and robberies are treated as much more serious crimes (because they are) and have a much greater clearance and prosecution rate. As a result, those who commit these more serious crimes will spend more time in time-out. Burglaries and robberies carry greater risk and, thus, are much more infrequent.

It is not right that you should have to worry about items being stolen from your vehicle. But, the reality is that you do.

PP and Hapuna,

I get your point, but the stats don't back it. The fact is that the liklihood if being the victim of a car prowl is significantly higher than being the the victim of a pedestrian robbery or a residential burglary. I'm talking probability, not possibility. Car prowls are a very common crime in Portland. Because it is a crime that can happen almost anywhere, at any time of day, takes only a minute or so to do and has a low chance of forensic evidence being left behind, very few arrests are made. Additionally, in Oregon, it is treated as a low level felony with little chance of significant incarceration. A car prowler can hit hundreds of vehicles before being caught. Burglaries and robberies are treated as much more serious crimes (because they are) and have a much greater clearance and prosecution rate. As a result, those who commit these more serious crimes will spend more time in time-out. Burglaries and robberies carry greater risk and, thus, are much more infrequent.

It is not right that you should have to worry about items being stolen from your vehicle. But, the reality is that you do.

Just what are the stats regarding having an item stolen from your car that was locked in a secured container? I know in my case they are not veryyy high. I have had my home burglarized two times and my truck broken into two times. In both home robberies they cleaned me out. In one case they even used a U-Haul. In the case of the truck they got nothing both times because of steel cables securing my tools and a safe securing my gun. They just broke the glass and tried to grab something before deciding they did not want to hang around with the alarm blaring.

They used to shoot horse thieves or give them a necktie party.Nowdays if the horse thief gets your horse (car) and finds a gun you get locked up. Something wrong here. We now are becoming a nation that had forgot its core values. When two kids get in a fight in school, now both are punished, same thinking with the thief stealing your gun. I strongliy disagree withe post ,drive carefully and don't get in trouble, what are you smoking the funny stuff. Spad

Another way to look at this is if a governmental entity wants to prohibit firearms/weapons from their building they need to provide a lock box. Washington state does this in their court houses.

I discovered this several years ago while renewing my WA CHL at the Snohomish county court house. I asked the deputy manning the metal detector and he said I could use them. He was appreciative that I went and retreived it from my vehicle and locked it in the lock box. Its a good feeling to not have to worry about some dirt urchin stealing your firearm while you are conducting business at the court house.
Here they call a deputy over from the Sheriff's office and he keeps it while in the court house. I'm betting they run the serial numbers and check your CPL while they have it!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Feedback Score" is low by 4, not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

On another forum member suggested that states should just make leaving a gun in an unoccupied vehicle illegal. They felt it would solve a lot of problems and address some ethical issues.

I cannot disagree more.

Why would anyone ever even consider making it the fault of the victim if their personal property is broken into and items stolen from said property are used for ill means. If a person takes reasonable precautions to secure a firearm in their vehicle why should they not be entitled to assume their personal property will not be vandalized or stolen. Even worse, why would anyone fault them for something the criminal then did with the stolen item?

If someone breaks into my home (or just walks in if I leave a door unlocked) and steals a knife from my kitchen should I be responsible if they then go and kill someone with that knife? Should I be preemptively punished simply for having knives on my counter and not locking my door?

Why should we take responsibility away from the criminal and place it on the victim for any reason? Maybe I am way off base on this one (it would not be the first time), but I just cannot understand this kind of thinking.

Thoughts?

Want to know where this thought process comes from? From the police. Seriously...not the cops, but from the actual police departments. Bigger cities are undermanned (no surprise) for how many citizens they have in their jurisdiction. They cannot investigate every "petty" offense that occurs. What can they do? Make a report so you can make an insurance claim...that's pretty much it. On Fort Bragg, it took some random, alert soldier to catch a string of "smash and grabs" after YEARS of these guys breaking into cars, houses and barracks.

So, what do you think the average police dispatch would say when someone makes a complaint about having to report a stollen item in some automatted phone recorder?

Buy a safe, buy a dog, buy an alarm, hire security.

That's the answer we're learned to expect....especially from the liberal hire-ups. It's sad, really...especially when you work, sweat and bleed for your possesions just for some thug to steal them from you. Heaven forbid you protect yourself from it by any other means to (i.e. buy a gun). Because after all, THAT WHAT THE POLICE ARE FOR!

Kinda puts things in perspective, doesn't it?

I don't believe one should blame the victim, I think it is borderline negligent to leave a gun in an unattended vehicle. Have I done it? Yep. But, I think that, if you are going to leave a gun in your car with any regularity, you should seriously look at installing a gunsafe or secure it in the trunk (after disabling the release). I understand that sometimes situations arise unexpectedly and you have to leave your gun in less than ideal place. I also figure that anything left in a car will be stolen eventually.

I think that every gun owner needs to recognize that it doesn't matter whether or not someone should be breaking into your vehicle. By leaving your gun in a place where there is a fairly high probability it will be stolen, you are potentially giving a gun to the kind of person that gives guns a bad name. You are giving the anti gun folks one more incident that portrays gun owners as irresponsible or one more incident where a gun is used in a crime.

+1

If you carry then you KNOW that there are times and situations that require you to leave your fire arm in your car. Bolt in a lock box or cable it to the floor or in the trunk! By choosing to have a CHL you are choosing to have added responsibilities. One of them is securing your fire arm.

Life happens out there beyond my warm cozy garage. Despite parking in relatively secure places and concealing valuables from thieving eyes, I've had 4 rather common vehicles stolen, averaging one per decade since I started driving. Of concern is the fact that 3 were not recovered for 48-72 hours, and one just disappeared forever. Plenty of time, in my reckoning, for oxygen-bandits to strip them down to bare frames if they wanted.

Accountability takes planning and scrupulous execution. I'd be severely bummed if someone made off with my knife, crowbar, mag light and pepper spray (standard car accessories even with multi-state CHL's). But that's nothing compared to the guilt I'd carry around forever if I delivered a firearm in a "locked car" to a tweaker on the street where boundaries simply do not exist.

Television series idea! Imagine Bait Car with a glove box full of C4. I wouldn't miss an episode

Would it also be illegal for police to leave weapons in their vehicle also?

It's not uncommon for weapons to be stolen from police cruisers...

<broken link removed>
<broken link removed>
<broken link removed>
<broken link removed>
<broken link removed>
Post Now - Weapon stolen from Hyattsville police car
<broken link removed>

etc etc etc...

I heard that the Police cannot be held liable for any of the weapon losing

+1

If you carry then you KNOW that there are times and situations that require you to leave your fire arm in your car. Bolt in a lock box or cable it to the floor or in the trunk! By choosing to have a CHL you are choosing to have added responsibilities. One of them is securing your fire arm.

It doesn't hafta cost a lot of money, you can buy a locking metal handgun storage box and lock it with a cable to something in your vehicle for under $50.00. You will be forcing the criminal to at least show a sign of physical break-in and I know my insurance covers part of the replacent cost of my gun, if it is locked in my car.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top