Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Making dummy rounds

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by PiratePast40, Nov 7, 2015.

1. PiratePast40

PiratePast40 Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

One of my brothers retired from the Air Force a few years ago and gave me a few spent 30mm shell cases from an A-10. Wondering if anyone knows someone that would be able to make some wooden dummy rounds that I could paint to look similar to the different rounds. I think they would be a neat Christmas present for him.

2. Capn Jack

Capn Jack Wet-Stern Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Know anyone with a wood Lathe? What is the O.D. of the case? you may be able to start with a shovel handle. They're already round and they're made out of a tough wood. :D

3. PiratePast40

Don't have a lathe so no way to make it myself. I'm assuming that the case OD is something slightly larger than 30mm but can certainly put a mic on it.

4. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Go to Woodcrafters in Salem and ask if they know any hobby wood workers that do lathe work.

spookshack, Sgt Nambu and Dyjital like this.
  5. David J

David J hillsboro Member

I have a complete dummy round from an A10 that I got when I was stationed at Edwards AFB. I could let you use it to get the correct dem and profile

spookshack likes this.
  6. PiratePast40

Might take you up on that offer. Would like to find someone to do the work first.

7. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

8. PiratePast40

^^^ I've seen those. Too pricey for me. Besides, I want to paint some to match the different types of rounds.

9. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Get a stick and learn to whittle ;)