JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'd be happy to help you in this endeavor. I've been producing BP for about 20 years. There are definitely a lot of ways to make BP. Here's a few hints. If you like them I'd be happy to share more with you.
1. Is it legal? Yes
2. Making your own charcoal is just about mandatory. Unless your buying a kit. Do NOT use any form of charcoal that's designed to cook with.
3. Order your KCLO3. 99%. It ships without concern of ATF. It's not much $$$.
4. ^^^ Do not use stump remover or any product that is anything but KCLO3
5. Pharmaceutical grade Sulphur is also cheep. Easy to find. If you want to make your own Sulphur I'd go with iron pyrite.
6. Dextrin is a binder. Some don't bother. It makes sense and it's cheep.
7. You will need a mill of some sort. Lots of folks use a rock polisher. This will be the most expensive item to purchase. Or make one. But the parts will still cost about the same. Lots of homemade mills on U-tube.
If you tell me the tree species around you I'll tell you which ones to use for your charcoal. Last, I can't tell how much fun and what a blast - pun intended - to shoot something with your own BP. For grins, there was a group of us who tried to make their own BP as if an apocalypses happened and you could not buy ingredients. Then take an old truck apart to form a gun/cannon out of the drive train and shot the bearings. I wouldn't want to have to depend on this but it was fun. Or PM me. Get my Ph# and I'll give you all the help you want.

I make my own as well. I did the same old dextrin and screen method when I started out but I just didn't get a clean powder that had the same performance as commercial. I did a lot of research in old 1800 books and articles as well as the Swiss poudererie d'albonne booklet and experimented alot, I mean alot and invested in some tools for corning powder and made a kiln to charr wood at a regulated temperature. It took me months but I got down now, my powder is cleaner than Swiss and produces more velocity by weight too for cartridges, or if I want it denser I get better velocity by volume as well. I control the density and grain size to customize it for the firearm. Wood type and charcoal temperature, proper ball milling, density and screen sizes are major factors. Sulphur and KNO3 quality are a must as well. It's a great hobby to get into especially now with goex gone, but if you want high performance you really need to get in to it.

Last Edited:
Last Edited:
here are some numbers that i got from different combinations compared to swiss at the bottom in a 7.5 inch SAA clone (45 colt) with a 250 grain bullet.

Attachments

• results.JPG
    results.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 66

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class