Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Making a Stainless Steel Barrel Black

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by deadshot2, Jul 8, 2012.

1. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

Other than Ceracote or Duracoat what methods are available to make a silver barrel a matte black or dark , dark, gray, matte finish. Doesn't need to be permanent but I'd like it to hold up fairly well under normal handling and cleaning with ordinary solvents.

Any ideas? I've thought of "Barbecue Paint" and "High Temp Exhaust Paint" but was curious if others have done so and their experience. Just looking for ideas.

2. BarbusBadarse

BarbusBadarse tanasbourne Active Member

Contact TornadoTech

I had a stainless glock barrel I had them blacken ahwile back.. I would not paint it thats for sure.

3. pokerace

pokerace Newberg Well-Known Member

I have used this outfit and highly recommend him . Do a search on this forum and see what the other guys say..

Twisted Firearms LLC

4. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

I'm looking for suggestions on what product to use when I do it myself. I've run across a product called Stainless Blackening Compound but am looking for feedback from others that have done it yourself.

If I wasn't interested in a DIY project I'd just send it to my local barrel maker. Just thought I'd clarify my intentions.

5. the4thshake

the4thshake Portland Active Member

Blast it with 70 grit aluminum oxide and it will be a nice dull medium gray. Throw some oil on it and it will darken a bit.

6. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

With you on the BBQ paint Deadshot. I keep a can to spray the short length of stainless visible on my M-1A in the event of an emergency. However I have never tried it! I doubt anyone will try it 'till they really need to tone down that barrel.

7. SICARIO

SICARIO Oregon City Active Member