JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok my son want's to make a shroud ( carbon fiber ) for his air rifle, but there seams to be a gray area as far as these go, it is not a fire arm, it is and air rifle and the shroud redirects the exiting air. so are these illegal like making one for a fire arm with out a tax stamp, for an air rifle ? :huh::huh:, Thank you for your time

a lot of pellet guns like Gamo come with a "noise reducer" built in to the barrel already.
From what I read the Federal laws on suppressors state they cannot be used on a firearm without getting the tax stamp. Oregon law defines a firearm as a "weapon that expels a projectile by the use of burning powder, since a pellet/BB rifle do not use burning powder I would think it doesn't apply to them. I was told some years back that the city of Portland considers a pellet/BB gun a firearm. I have been unable to find out if this actually true or just what one LEO told me. I have learned that with the complexities of the laws that some LEOs do not know what the actual laws are and enforce them the way they think they are. I am not sure how Portland would handle the suppressor issue.
If its a "mock suppressor" a lot of rifles use them and call them a "Flash Hider" which seem to have no legal problems

a lot of pellet guns like Gamo come with a "noise reducer" built in to the barrel already.
From what I read the Federal laws on suppressors state they cannot be used on a firearm without getting the tax stamp. Oregon law defines a firearm as a "weapon that expels a projectile by the use of burning powder, since a pellet/BB rifle do not use burning powder I would think it doesn't apply to them. I was told some years back that the city of Portland considers a pellet/BB gun a firearm. I have been unable to find out if this actually true or just what one LEO told me. I have learned that with the complexities of the laws that some LEOs do not know what the actual laws are and enforce them the way they think they are. I am not sure how Portland would handle the suppressor issue.
If its a "mock suppressor" a lot of rifles use them and call them a "Flash Hider" which seem to have no legal problems

Well until there is a Hippy season, I will not be shooting nor going to Portland if I can help it :s0112:

Pyramid air has a very good article regarding this topic. Not sure if I did the link right but I found it easily w/ a google search. I typed in "are silencers on pellet rifles legal". From what I gather they are legal, unless they are not...? They can easily be purchased online w/o a wait. TKO Airguns is where I have purchased mine. They cost $44 and are very well made w/ several finish options. The owner is very quick w/ replies and answered my call personally.

Good luck! They are effective, and are (in my opinion) legal.

wollow

Airgun silencers

In Eugene an air rifle is considered a firearm....or so I was told....I can't remember the source, but do remember it was credible.

Well they are very very wrong, if you look at what BATFA said it is a air rifle under no law, by state can dictate it a fire arm, by definition propelled by air ..............

Well they are very very wrong, if you look at what BATFA said it is a air rifle under no law, by state can dictate it a fire arm, by definition propelled by air ..............

Taken from Eugene Code (below). Perhaps because air guns are included here, is why it is considered a firearm under Eugene codes.

4.885 Weapons - Discharging Firearms. Except on established ranges, no
person other than a peace officer in line of duty shall discharge a gun,
including spring or air-actuated pellet gun, air gun or BB gun, or other
weapon which propels a projectile by use of gunpowder or other explosive,
jet, or rocket propulsion.

Taken from Eugene Code (below). Perhaps because air guns are included here, is why it is considered a firearm under Eugene codes.

4.885 Weapons - Discharging Firearms. Except on established ranges, no
person other than a peace officer in line of duty shall discharge a gun,
including spring or air-actuated pellet gun, air gun or BB gun, or other
weapon which propels a projectile by use of gunpowder or other explosive,
jet, or rocket propulsion.

More city issues, I never shoot/live in the big city's

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show