JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Not sure if this should be in gunsmithing but is it legal to manufacture a firearm for your own personal use? The federal law seems to say it is okay if you register it and pay a tax ($200?). Seriously?? I wanted to make a single shot .22 just because it would be a fun challenge.

Sec. 5822. Making

No person shall make a firearm unless he has (a) filed with the Secretary a written application, in duplicate, to make and register the firearm on the form prescribed by the Secretary;(b) paid any tax payable on the making and such payment is evidenced by the proper stamp affixed to the original application form;(c) identified the firearm to be made in the application form in such manner as the Secretary may by regulations prescribe;(d) identified himself in the application form in such manner as the Secretary may by regulations prescribe, except that, if such person is an individual, the identification must include his fingerprints and his photograph;and (e) obtained the approval of the Secretary to make and register the firearm and the application form shows such approval.Applications shall be denied if the making or possession of the firearm would place the person making the firearm in violation of law."

You are looking at NFA pertaing to TITLE II : Machine Guns, Destructive Devices, and Certain other Firearms.
Wrong place!

Simple version answer to your question - You may build and have up to 5 personally built firearms at any one time. If you want to build another you must DESTORY one of the first 5 before you built the 6th one.
I will qoute the citation wshen i find it

I don;t think there is a cap on how many you can make as long as they are for yourself.

You just can't build them with the intent to sell them without a license.

If you ever want to sell one/some in the future, ATF would like you to mark them with your name and city and state. Not required though.

A lot of people dont understand the rules on this.
You can build a gun yourself and then sell it. You cannot build it to sell.
Clear as mud? LOL.

All NFA rules apply.

Anyone have any plans for a single shot .22LR that I could take a look at?

Plans? Heck, you jus' get yerself a piece of pipe the right size to hold the bullit, a block of wood with a hole to poke the pipe thru for a handle, some rubberbands and a nail, heck you can figger out the rest.
Oh, you want one at least as likely to hurt the fella standing in front as the one behind?

MrB+

Plans? Heck, you jus' get yerself a piece of pipe the right size to hold the bullit, a block of wood with a hole to poke the pipe thru for a handle, some rubberbands and a nail, heck you can figger out the rest.
Oh, you want one at least as likely to hurt the fella standing in front as the one behind?

MrB+

Remember the old zip guns? As I remember you needed a car antenna, a rubber bad and a few odds and ends. As I remember that's what the gangs used to build.

I had this very building your discussion with a fellow I shot with and he is a gun builder. There are only a few I would take something like this at face value and he is one of them.
But since I have to make some calls today I will add this to my list and double check the facts.

Recently built a .45-70 on a ribbed double barrel, double trigger 12 gauge. Tapped and sleeved the barrels, mounted adjustable back sights and front. Then did some adjustments to the taps while dialing it in with 405 grain loads, then poured the barrel sleeves and cut and crowned the barrels. Some work on the extractors, some buffing wheel time and tank bluing and I was set. It shoots very well with the barrel line of sight crossing at 75 yards, and it came out looking real nice. It took some time, but was a labor of love. My very own custom double rifle. As a side note, when you let both triggers go at once,, WOW!

Yes it would but keep in mind that depending on the design it might be considered an AOW and NFA rules would apply.

Anything that "does not look like a firearm" is an AOW.. as decided by BATF and expletives

I have never heard of any limit on the number of firearms you can build.. my question is can they be willed after you croak? From what cocktailer said I guess the answer is yes

Anything that "does not look like a firearm" is an AOW.. as decided by BATF and expletives

That is not quite true. Anything that can be FIRED while not meeting the definitions of a Title 1 firearm is an NFA item, and most likely an AOW, but could be something else.

Example: Pen guns that can be fired while straight = AOW, Pen guns that have to be rotated to create a "grip" to be fired = Pistol.

Another example: Brief case gun with semi auto = AOW, Brief case gun with Full auto (properly registered of course) = Full Auto in a brief case no extra paperwork required.

That is not quite true. Anything that can be FIRED while not meeting the definitions of a Title 1 firearm is an NFA item, and most likely an AOW, but could be something else.

Example: Pen guns that can be fired while straight = AOW, Pen guns that have to be rotated to create a "grip" to be fired = Pistol.

Another example: Brief case gun with semi auto = AOW, Brief case gun with Full auto (properly registered of course) = Full Auto in a brief case no extra paperwork required.

Thanks for the clarification. I've heard that elsewhere but it was long ago and I forgot it because I was not interested in owning such

as decided by BATF and expletives

Is a case by case issue

I am thinking more along the lines of a lightweight, compact, single shot .22LR packgun. Perhaps some kind of bull pup design that would not need to be "assembled" in the field like most pack rifles. I know, a .22 pistol would be a lot easier, but that is not the point.
Thanks for all of the replies and help.
dave

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top