JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been looking around for a decent entry level semi auto to start out with. Was looking at the Kel-Tec and Bersa 9mm and .45 versions in the $200-300 range.

Got offered a trade for a trailer I'm selling for a Makarov IJ70 in "like new" condition. I know nothing about these guns. Is it worth looking at? What would a used one sell for? Are they hard to get ammo for?

My opinion, but that sounds like a decent trade to me. Depends on the trailer you are trading though.

You can always do a search on Gunbroker and see what they are going for.

I haven't owned a MAK, but I've wanted one for years.
Ask what caliber it is. I want to say .380, but not sure.

I used to get info from here:

http://www.makarov.com/

Have fun

It is a 9mm that shoots 9x18 so it sounds like it may be a little hard getting ammo. From everything I have read they seem to be good guns.

If it's marked IJ-70-18 it's chambered in 9mm Makarov,which is a lot easier to find,and less expensive,than 380 ammo right now,roughly $100/500rds.If it's marked IJ-70-17 it's a 380.They are excellent guns,and ammo is out there,but save yourself a lot of trouble and buy in lots of 500 or 1000 rounds.It's even cheaper that way,and you don't have to go to the store before you go shooting.Ballistically,the 9mm Mak is between a 380(9X17),and a 9mm Luger,or Parabellum(9X19).They make excellent carry guns,too.How much are you selling this trailer for?That'll give a better idea as to whether it's a deal or not...Where in Oregon are you?

Although the Makarovs are very reliable, their triggers are awful, the the sights are really dinky. The Bersa is very reliable and if I am not mistaking, they have a lifetime warranty....So if you are looking for a .380 ACP then I's suggest a Bersa....

Ket Tec is a great company, they will warrant their guns forever even if you are not the original owner-just make sure if you buy a PF-9 that its a newer one that had the trigger bar issue fixed-But the PF -9 is so tiny it is not exactly pleasent to shoot and if you are new to handguns, I'd avoid this for that reason.

I have several Maks, love them all. The best ones, hands down, are the east germans, very well put together, smooth trigger action, almost Walther quality but don't bite like the Walther PP or PPK series and don't jam on hollow points. I can only ***** about the sights which are tiny, it would be nice to have bigger ones.

IJ-70's are Russian commercially produced pistols, the rear sights are adjustable for elevation, unlike the military version"PM" which were manufactured in Russia, Bulgaria, East Germany and china.