Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Mak 90 front sight will not budge!

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Phillyfan, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Phillyfan

Phillyfan Oregon City, Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

So I replaced my front sight post with a cool ring with cross hair in it, but now I notice that it is off center (kind of a distraction). Bought a sight adjust tool, but the openning that the cylinder is supposed to move into as you tighten it is too small. Tried to open it up a bit with a dremmel, but still no go. The tool started to bend and the sight didn't move. I sprayed some PB Blaster on it last night and let it sit, and was goint to try using a heat gun to losen it.

Do you guys know of a better sight adjust tool out there, or some tricks to get this thing where I want it?

These are the sights I am using now, by the way. The rear peep sight adjusts for windage and elevation so I will be able to sight it in just fine, but I'm just anal and want it to look right.

AK ? SKS ? VZ58 | Mojo Sights
    KNS Front Sight Post AK-47 MAK-90 SKS Duplex Crosshair Reticle Matte

2. Phillyfan

Gosh, hate to spend $30 on something I am going to use once, but if it's the only thing that will work I guess I'll have to. Thanks for the heads up.

3. timac

timac Loading Magazines! Well-Known Member

I'll second the Magna-Matic, its the best.

4. 2gr8dgs

2gr8dgs oregon Active Member

would a little heat help to free things up?
    like with a benzomatic (sp) torch?
    maybe some pb blaster?
    good luck!

5. Phillyfan

Tried the PB Blaster, no go. Can't find my heat gun, wife had it last, go figure. Anyway, I will probably break down and buy the adjust tool mentioned above. Amazing how I don't mind spending hundreds/thousands on a gun that I may fire never or once a year, but cringe at wasting $30 on a sight adjustment tool that I will use once. Funny when you think about it.

Anyway, none of the stuff I ordered for the gun has arrived yet (changing Mak90 back to AK config), so I have some time to play with it.

6. DoubleTapDrew

DoubleTapDrew Oregon Well-Known Member

7. Phillyfan

Holy crap! Only a gunsmith would be justified in paying that much for something like this.