Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $1,000 in prizes this month in the Northwest Firearms Winter Giveaway!
    Dismiss Notice

Mak 90 front sight will not budge!

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Phillyfan, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Phillyfan

Phillyfan Oregon City, Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

So I replaced my front sight post with a cool ring with cross hair in it, but now I notice that it is off center (kind of a distraction). Bought a sight adjust tool, but the openning that the cylinder is supposed to move into as you tighten it is too small. Tried to open it up a bit with a dremmel, but still no go. The tool started to bend and the sight didn't move. I sprayed some PB Blaster on it last night and let it sit, and was goint to try using a heat gun to losen it.

Do you guys know of a better sight adjust tool out there, or some tricks to get this thing where I want it?

These are the sights I am using now, by the way. The rear peep sight adjusts for windage and elevation so I will be able to sight it in just fine, but I'm just anal and want it to look right.

AK ? SKS ? VZ58 | Mojo Sights
    KNS Front Sight Post AK-47 MAK-90 SKS Duplex Crosshair Reticle Matte

2. Phillyfan

Gosh, hate to spend $30 on something I am going to use once, but if it's the only thing that will work I guess I'll have to. Thanks for the heads up.

3. timac

timac Loading Magazines! Well-Known Member

I'll second the Magna-Matic, its the best.

4. 2gr8dgs

2gr8dgs oregon Active Member

would a little heat help to free things up?
    like with a benzomatic (sp) torch?
    maybe some pb blaster?
    good luck!

5. Phillyfan

Tried the PB Blaster, no go. Can't find my heat gun, wife had it last, go figure. Anyway, I will probably break down and buy the adjust tool mentioned above. Amazing how I don't mind spending hundreds/thousands on a gun that I may fire never or once a year, but cringe at wasting $30 on a sight adjustment tool that I will use once. Funny when you think about it.

Anyway, none of the stuff I ordered for the gun has arrived yet (changing Mak90 back to AK config), so I have some time to play with it.

6. DoubleTapDrew

DoubleTapDrew Oregon Well-Known Member

7. Phillyfan

Holy crap! Only a gunsmith would be justified in paying that much for something like this.