JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Started the first woodstove fire of the season last night. Inside temps were dropping below 60* and I don't want to turn on the furnace this winter if I can help it. Started another fire this AM - took longer for some reason, took 3 tries to get it really going then stoked the stove before leaving for errands. Got home 4 hours later and it was out, so started another one and it is going well.

As long as I can keep it above 60* in here I am comfortable, so far.

It got down to the upper 30s last night, but I have good insulation and inside it only got down to 54*, which is comfortable while I am sleeping.

Just because I'm an bubblegum... here's a pic I took when we jumped in the car to take the boy up to the school bus stop this morning...

qnz258o.jpg

My daughter linked this alert to me via Facebook. She moved here from Tokyo a couple of months ago and is freaking out. Not sure if the link will work if you don't have a Facebook account, so I'll copy and paste the text.

HIGH-IMPACT WINTER STORM LOOKING MORE LIKELY FRIDAY INTO SATURDAY; FOLLOWED BY BITTERLY COLD TEMPS SATURDAY NIGHT/SUNDAY MORNING AND SUNDAY NIGHT/MONDAY MORNING:
Several inches of heavy snow may accumulate across the southern Palouse which may result in not only hazardous travel, but the accumulations will be occurring on top of tree foliage, which may result in some collapsed tree branches and localized power outages. This will be a huge concern as at least 3" of snow is now expected in Pullman, points south. It is not out of the question, that some localized areas see in excess of 5" of snow by Saturday morning. We'll be in the deep freeze, so I expect the warm ground temps will fade away fast as the snow initially melts, then we quickly ice up and begin to accumulate snow on roads. Be prepared for slippery roads and limited visibility and use caution while driving. Low temps will dip way down into the low and mid TEENS Saturday night and Sunday night with a few day period where highs will struggle to get above freezing. This is of concerns especially how cold it will become and possible heavy snow and power issues.

Here's a video she linked as well...

Why is your daughter freaking out? That "High-impact" storm warning is like, normal weather for that region. Seriously, like every year.

This whole discussion of a smokey summer and freezing temperatures. Pffft! You can have both!! This is weather.com's current advisories around Southern Oregon:

1603415154678.png

2020, you so crazy!

Why is your daughter freaking out? That "High-impact" storm warning is like, normal weather for that region. Seriously, like every year.
Because she moved from Arizona, to Seattle, then to Japan and hasn't driven in snow since she was a teen. And she's a millenial. And female. I thought it was fairly obvious... :D

I used to deliver newspapers on my bike in -30F (a couple of times, -40F) weather as a kid in Wisconsin. Que up your "walked 10 miles in 2 feet of snow" stories here... :)

I used to deliver newspapers on my bike in -30F (a couple of times, -40F) weather as a kid in Wisconsin. Que up your "walked 10 miles in 2 feet of snow" stories here... :)

I never did like the cold, although I could tolerate it better when I was young - except for my feet; I still don't like it when my feet get cold, but they don't seem to get cold as easily. Also, my metabolism has slowed significantly so I don't generate as much heat, OTOH I have a lot more insulation.

Youth is wasted on the young. :(

Forecast was calling for around an inch by 5pm, then a couple of inches later tonight.

I just woke up (graveyard shift) and looked outside and there is already an inch and still coming down heavy. Will be a fun drive to work tonight.

IMG_20201023_142507666_HDR.jpg

Forecast was calling for around an inch by 5pm, then a couple of inches later tonight.

I just woke up (graveyard shift) and looked outside and there is already an inch and still coming down heavy. Will be a fun drive to work tonight.

View attachment 766697
Have closer to 3 inches here, and its that nasty Seattle style wet slippery snow. :s0099:
Guess I'll stay home till this round melts. :D

As a former Colorado resident, I can't help but chuckle how a few inches of snow is news. Especially in areas that get it regularly. :D

As a former Colorado resident, I can't help but chuckle how a few inches of snow is news. Especially in areas that get it regularly. :D
Typically its much colder when it snows here. Easier driving than this wet nasty stuff. If we get too much and need to breakout the snow blowers the crap we're getting now will clog the blowers and leave a slick of ice. Working outside in this leaves you soggy wet. Usually in the winter it's cold enough that you can just shake the snow off your jacket not have to hang it to dry.
Damp achy weather.

Typically its much colder when it snows here. Easier driving than this wet nasty stuff. If we get too much and need to breakout the snow blowers the crap we're getting now will clog the blowers and leave a slick of ice. Working outside in this leaves you soggy wet. Usually in the winter it's cold enough that you can just shake the snow off your jacket not have to hang it to dry.
Damp achy weather.

Yeah, big difference between powder and slop.

Just drove to the post office to get mail and test the new tires. Had to go down a very steep hill and found a new Chevy that slid backwards down the hill and took out a street sign.

When I was done, I was able to get up the hill in 2wd with the new tires. Extremely impressed with their performance thus far. Especially in this heavy, wet snow that that is like driving in snot.

IMG_20201023_153601420.jpg

IMG_20201023_153758385_HDR.jpg

The siping worked like a charm...

IMG_20201023_153815001.jpg

Just drove to the post office to get mail and test the new tires. Had to go down a very steep hill and found a new Chevy that slid backwards down the hill and took out a street sign.

When I was done, I was able to get up the hill in 2wd with the new tires. Extremely impressed with their performance thus far. Especially in this heavy, wet snow that that is like driving in snot.

View attachment 766713

View attachment 766714

The siping worked like a charm...

View attachment 766715

Tires do make a big difference.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR