JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My daughter linked this alert to me via Facebook. She moved here from Tokyo a couple of months ago and is freaking out. Not sure if the link will work if you don't have a Facebook account, so I'll copy and paste the text.

HIGH-IMPACT WINTER STORM LOOKING MORE LIKELY FRIDAY INTO SATURDAY; FOLLOWED BY BITTERLY COLD TEMPS SATURDAY NIGHT/SUNDAY MORNING AND SUNDAY NIGHT/MONDAY MORNING:
Several inches of heavy snow may accumulate across the southern Palouse which may result in not only hazardous travel, but the accumulations will be occurring on top of tree foliage, which may result in some collapsed tree branches and localized power outages. This will be a huge concern as at least 3" of snow is now expected in Pullman, points south. It is not out of the question, that some localized areas see in excess of 5" of snow by Saturday morning. We'll be in the deep freeze, so I expect the warm ground temps will fade away fast as the snow initially melts, then we quickly ice up and begin to accumulate snow on roads. Be prepared for slippery roads and limited visibility and use caution while driving. Low temps will dip way down into the low and mid TEENS Saturday night and Sunday night with a few day period where highs will struggle to get above freezing. This is of concerns especially how cold it will become and possible heavy snow and power issues.

Here's a video she linked as well...

Me, personally, am looking forward to it. I love winter weather and just installed a new set of tires on my SUV in anticipation of a nasty winter.

Tomorrow/today, I am planning on finishing my winter vehicle preps which includes adding extra gloves, hats, and blankets to the storage bin in the back which also contains the rest of my normal vehicle preps. Water, tools, first-aid, ropes, fasteners, food, and bug-out emergency backpack.

My daughter has a newer AWD minivan with new all-season tires so she'll be fine. She's 15 miles from me, and 1-mile from my folks who have a ton of preps.

For folks used to such, meh...

For someone like your daughter who has been away from it fir a long while, or had never experienced such? Sure, be mindful. Driving is the biggie for inexperienced folks. Remind her of such & to at least have proper wear in the vehicle if not dressed accordingly along with the "standard" extras.

Best is to not drive until used to such, and to do so adjusting speed to the conditions...

Though I'm not in that area, this is exactly why I have wood heat and 8 cords of wood. I like the snow, it brings out the little kid in me. But there is nothing better than standing with my back to the wood stove gazing out at the winter wonder land with hot cupa.

That's just awesome... me, the wife, and my sister have to drive to Clark Fork, ID for my uncle's memorial service next Thursday, and then drive back the following Sunday.... looks like we'll taking the Jeep Wrangler (and small hard shell luggage trailer) instead of the sedan.

:confused:

Concerning elections, bad weather has historically favored the Republican party because the Democrats just look skyward at the rain with their mouths open and drown.
So hey.

1. It cannot be a winter storm. It is barely autumn. Therefore FAKE NEWS. I suspect Russian involvement - although don't they prefer snow and ice?

2. Tell her it is just like Mount Fuji.
And just like Japanese monkeys, enjoy some time in a hot spring / hot tub.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.jpg

Looks like a normal storm to me. Would have been nice if the Indian summer lasted a couple more weeks. Worse part is having to listen to our drivers bubblegumming about having to throw chains. At least for the first week, after that, it's just something you have to do when you leave the pavement.

I just saw that "alert". Weak.
They think that humanity will grind to a halt if they don't incessantly Karen us that our pets water bowls might freeze and to wear a long sleeve shirt.
Ftards.

I too think that this "storm" won't really amount to much.

Refresher driver training is a great idea for all of us. My kids grew up on the west slope of the Sierra's (Pollock Pines, Ca ). I always took them to the local bowling alley for its large parking lot and had them do lots of donuts, sliding and emergency braking drills.
The biggest obstacle is learning not to slam on the brakes, start sliding and just keep the brakes on. Ya gotta train yourself.

A bit of snow and 28* F is hardly a "deep freeze".

I was in the Tri-Cities during the 77-78 winter when the Columbia froze over - it was minus 22* F and there was some snow.

A bit of snow and cold right now might be a bit early but not unusual for eastern WA *shrug*

:s0001:Ohhhhh Nooooo!.....Snow in Pullman/Moscow at the end of October.....?
.....are they also predicting that day will become night after 6:45pm?

All the best experty, sciency scientists say It's all due to GOBAL DARKENING,
Pullman's days have become measurably shorter since summer, and unless we social distance, wear a mask while brushing our teeth, and vote for Biden, it will get worse. by the end of December, night will exceed day..... we're doomed! :s0107:b

Snow in Pullman? She better get used to it. If winter weather freaks her out Pullman is not a place she should plan on calling home.

Oh, and tell her to ditch FB....at least for news. A lot less fear mongering and mental meltdowns.

Snow in Pullman? She better get used to it. If winter weather freaks her out Pullman is not a place she should plan on calling home.

Oh, and tell her to ditch FB....at least for news. A lot less fear mongering and mental meltdowns.
Bravo.
I get all my news here..

I love her to death, but she is a true leftist snowflake. She wanted to take the kids to a pumpkin patch 30 miles away, but is afraid to drive at such high speeds after not exceeding 35 mph in Tokyo for four years.

I was over at her place today removing the window AC unit for her and she said now the forecast is 5 degrees on Sunday night.

So we went straight from a cool, smoke filled summer-indian summer to winter, with a forecast high of 50s-60s and lows of 30s this weekend in the Valley? I did not know that fall/spring temps qualified for "winter"? :rolleyes:

Edit. This entire year weather wise, has not been as cold, or as hot as previous years. Matter of fact, we had one of the mildest winters in years, and one of the coolest summers, again in years... a stark contrast from when we had like what, 5 or 6 years straight of "hottest temps on record!" For summer seasons?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top