JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am glad we spent many years without utilities. It taught us much.
We spent 28 yrs (1984-2011) heating only with wood, and long before that did the same growing up. No refrigeration, no tv, wood heat, then coal, Aladdin lamps. It was a much more peaceful time. Root cellar, window box. Ice box when ice was delivered. Raised and butchered our own beef, chickens, turkeys, rabbits and grew and canned all our vegetables, canned even the chickens.
Now folks have spasms without the microwave and tv. Sad.

What he doesnt realize that the guy living out in the sticks may not be relying on the states infrastructure. so when it all goes down, to him, its simply Tuesday.

You mean to tell us that everyday normal law abiding citizens have the audacity to turn into savage brutes when they are without the basic necessities like fuel, electricity and food?

SHOCKER!

And here I thought all those crazy survivalists were just exaggerating...

Several years ago, the power was out here for a week due to an ice/wind/snow storm. People lost their temper and threatened the receptionist at city hall - as if she could do anything about it. They had to post a police officer down there.

These people were just ticked because they were without hot water and cable. Now, imagine if their lives were really on the line? Kid needs to get to the hospital, people without food/water, etc. - it'll get ugly.

Was that the storm that impacted Woodinville and the Eastside? We were fine with our generator and some preps, but I saw people who looked like they were going to kill someone after only three days into the massive power outage.

That event and my observations of people solidified a desire to not only be more prepared, but also to have a level of defense. It will be ugly if there is ever a major quake or other serious problem.

Peter

Was that the storm that impacted Woodinville and the Eastside? We were fine with our generator and some preps, but I saw people who looked like they were going to kill someone after only three days into the massive power outage.

That event and my observations of people solidified a desire to not only be more prepared, but also to have a level of defense. It will be ugly if there is ever a major quake or other serious problem.

Peter

Probably the same one. We only lost power for a day or so, but other parts of town were out for a week+. My take-away from that: need more sources of heat, easily-heated foods, light, and gasoline (since many of the gas stations were down due to lack of power).

I was without power for 3 weeks, my friend a month, my pipes froze (-24). I had to truck water 5 miles for me and horses using 5 gallon buckets with trash bag liners that when tied shut kept water from sloshing out. I was craping in the backyard and cooking on a Coleman stove, listened to the truck radio at night for info

This is why we prep. I don't want problems, but it would dumb not to try and at least mitigate some of them. Alternate sources of heat are critical. One is none and two is one, etc...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top