Welcome to Northwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

MagTech 9mm ammo issues

Reactions
I went to Frontsight a couple of weeks ago with my Sig P320 compact. It has been incredibly reliable with about 5,000 rounds through it. I bought 124 grain 9mm ammunition for the 4 day defensive handgun class. You go through about 700 rounds in the class. I had about 30 type 3 malfunctions using that ammo. I had never had one before. The armorer at Frontsight said my gun was as dirty as he had ever seen a gun after about 150 rounds. MagTech ammo was unreliable in my gun. I don't know if that is common but I won't buy it again. It is information I wanted to share with the group.
Jim

Kruel J

Reactions
I think my gun doesn't like it..
Could be. I've ran lots of it through my Glocks without issue. Or again, maybe it's a bad lot. Magtech is cheap, the only reason I buy it. Lot's of range trips and I can't remember any malfunctions.

etrain16

Reactions
I've had no problems with Magtech in my S&W or Glocks. I used Magtech for a class at the OFA, about 500 rounds, ran all with no malfunctions in my M&P 9c

Reactions
Magtech is awful, dirty ammo. They have a huge variance in powder dropped. I have seen ammo out if the same box make major pf and sub minor pf. I have seen enough people have problems with it I wouldnt recommend it.

808hondacrguy

Reactions
I've never had a problem with Magtech either, I have used literally a couple thousand rounds, and can't recall a single issue, in any of my guns. Just went to the range today and put 200 rounds through my PCR, doesn't seem any dirtier than any other bulk ammo I've shot.

Alexx1401

Reactions
I had a bad run in with the stuff quite a while back. Ordered a little rifle in .40. Since I had no other .40 I ordered up a lot of ammo. After break in rifle was doing great. Then one day at the range all I had left was a few boxes of the MT. All of a sudden it would not feed a full mag. So I went out front and bought a couple boxes of the same weight bullet in Fed Red Box and Win White box. Those 100 rounds all worked fine. Another mag full of the MT and it would not go 15 rounds. Took what was left of the MT out front and gave it to them, said give it to some other shooter. Counter guy made same comment, had to be something with my rifle. May well have been. I had that rifle for many years after and it ate everything I fed it. Don't know it it was that ammo or just that lot as I just never tried it again.

MrRob96

Reactions
I've run a few thousand rounds of it through a CZ SP-01 without issue. This was stuff purchased 4 years ago. Maybe their manufacturing has changed in that time.

YMMV

EPS

Reactions
Just went shooting last Saturday my aunt ran about 450 rounds of Magtech in her Glock 19.
I don't remember her having any problems.
I would say your gun is picky .
It is a Sig

NEW CLASSIFIED ADS

LATEST REVIEWS

• Liberty Safes of Oregon
    5.00 star(s)
    I bugged these guys for a while as I was on the fence as to what safe to buy. There are so many...
    • trekkerpaul
  • Copeland Custom Gunworks
    5.00 star(s)
    Tim is fantastic! He does great work and does it in a timely manner! He reblued a Colt slide for...
    • hker71
  • Aloha Surplus
    4.00 star(s)
    Its always fun to check out the surplus stuff they have. Some is reasonably priced, some not so...
    • trekkerpaul
  • Copeland Custom Gunworks
    5.00 star(s)
    I recently sent in a project gun to Mr. Copeland to slick up an action and thread the barrel...
    • CountryGent
  • All That Glitters - Milwaukie
    5.00 star(s)
    Whenever I am in the area, I like to drop in to see what they have. Not a super big store, but...
    • trekkerpaul

Staff online