JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have used one on a friends rifle, though I don't have one on any of mine. To be honest, I'm not really a huge fan. I was trained to shoot the "military" way and find that any alternate moves that are not ingrained in my muscle memory are a liability for me at least. The other thing, is how often do you stop, and quit, firing from a 30 round mag that would require you to use a BAD lever? Even after replacing an empty with a fresh mag is it really that difficult to use the standard AR-15 controls provided? But, if its something you like that fits into your training and systems, go for it.

Yep I have one on one of my ARs..
Its ok from an experianced shooters perspective in the sense that itll allow you to do nearly every manipulation with one hand.. However Eugene Stoner placed that BHO right near the magwell for a reason.. So truely when the rifle runs dry itll be right there (the BHO) when you insert a new mag.

The only reason I keep the one I have on is because itll allow me to indeed hd the bolt when I rack the charging handle back with a simple push of the lever, rather than having to pull on the smaller BHO paddle on the other side.. So it makes for an easy display of an open and unchambered rifle while with new shooters (friends and family)

However with the increased weight on the BHO paddle from the lever, Ive had the carrier run right over an empty mag because the BHO was weighted enough to allow it to still cycle.

Not sure if anyone else had that issue but I have.

Imo i think its a little gimmicky. Unless youre really jonesing to throw money at your rifle for all the bells and whistles Id just assume pass.

I agree with everything posted above... the AR-Pistol is what made me seek one. Now that I have one on my Pistol and I like it, I'll probably equip the rest of mine with the lever for training/continuity/muscle memory reasons.

I use one while single feeding rounds that are longer than mag length. Shooting from prone it allows me to feed a round and close the bolt with my right hand. My left hand is able to stay under the stock and thus maintain cheek weld.

That is the only reason I bought one. One specific task for one specific firearm. None of my other rifles have or need that silly little lever.:s0155:

I bought one and put in on my AR about a year ago and wouldn't go without it.. all my die hard ar friends have been lusting after it since I put it on, its incredibly easy to drop a mag with your index finger, slap a new one in with your left hand and as you are getting your grip back your right hand can drop the bolt and your ready to go without extra movement.. Its well worth the money.. and hey.. if nothing else.. it doesn't impede your use of the stupid paddle.

I run it on my AR and I could go either way. Its convenient and simple to use but not totally necessary.

But I like it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Magpul advertises them as "theory based". As others have posted: I can take it or leave it. I really like ease of the bolt hold open and drop while sitting at the bench. I actually pulled it off my AR and reshaped it to work on my 15-.22. If someone gave me another one I would put one back on the AR but, I'm fine either way. I've had zero problems with it installed on either. (adapting it to the 15 .22 took some tweeking but, works fine) The one thing I would recommend is to install an enhanced trigger guard. The B.A.D. lever takes up a bit of real estate in the trigger area.

Magpul advertises them as "theory based". As others have posted: I can take it or leave it. I really like ease of the bolt hold open and drop while sitting at the bench. I actually pulled it off my AR and reshaped it to work on my 15-.22. If someone gave me another one I would put one back on the AR but, I'm fine either way. I've had zero problems with it installed on either. (adapting it to the 15 .22 took some tweeking but, works fine) The one thing I would recommend is to install an enhanced trigger guard. The B.A.D. lever takes up a bit of real estate in the trigger area.

Does the 15-22 have a bolt hold open feature built in? I have a dedicated .22 upper that has no bolt hold open ability, last round or mid magazine as I recall, and I find that really annoying.

I have found that the bad lever weight tends to wear the bho spring causing the bolt to close on empty mags the funny thing is it usually starts with pmags I don't use the lever anymore but it was handy to open the bolt

I have them on my both of my 3-Gun rifles. Undecided if they will stay, but leaning toward pulling them off. They will make standing reloads faster, perhaps .5 to 1 second. Standing reloads with a rifle from bolt lock are VERY rare at the matches I attend.

I'm normally a total purist when it comes to rifle gadget stuff, but the BAD lever while it seems goofy is so awesome. It makes locking the bolt open a two handed operation instead of a three handed operation. As others have stated, it makes reloads (from an open bolt) insanely fast. I would probably put them on all my rifles if the price point was $15, but for $30, I bought one and put it on my 3-gun rifle.

If you're just trying to put a rifle project over the top, go for it. If you want to be a puritan about it, there's not much point.

Once I put one on one, had to put it on another too.. When I shoot other ARs, and it's not there, I miss it.

Might try the all metal one I saw that actually replaces the bolt release, but I think it's like $50

I tried one for a short amount of time, and found that I never used it. I try to shoot ambi as often as I can, and it seemed to just get forgotten about. Not it sits in a parts drawer somewhere along with the other well intentioned ideas

I love using mine.. Makes locking the slide back easier without having to change your grip, easy bolt release with one finger also without changing your grip on the gun. For the money, they are a great add on IMO.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top