JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I made a new thread so as not to fill up the .308 thread with unrelated junk. I see a lot of people using the new Magpul AFG but they place it in very strange places that don't make any sense to me.:huh:

My Polytech M14.
paintedm14new1.jpg
larger pic: http://www.pnwzj.com/images/paintedm14new1large.jpg

This one came up for a good price and I did not have a .308 rifle. Since owning it, I've picked up several extra stocks, magazines and scope mounts for it. It's fun, shoots good and has been pretty reliable for about 1/2 the cost of an M1A. It's also nice and loud, gets a lot of looks whenever I shoot it. :D

I painted the stock and handguard and added a rail to the bottom to attach the AFG. I'd like to do a little more to it. Basically, a Ultimak rail and an Aimpoint micro so I can co-witness the irons and I'll be done modifying it. :s0155:

This rifle is otherwise pretty nice looking but one thing on it struck me as very odd. The AFG is designed for thumb-over-bore shooting and it seems like it placed way too far back on this rifle. Pic related, it's how an AFG is designed to be used:

How do people use it when they stick it so close to the magazine well? It seems like they would be better served using a vertical foregrip and a beer can grip if they want to stick it way back there, or perhaps no grip accessories at all. Also, it has been awhile since I used an M1A so I might be wrong, but isn't the stock back there kind of... huge? How do you get your hand all the way around it?

It looks like this M1A was made for someone with really short arms and really huge hands! :D

Personally, who cares?

Each weapon is as different and unique as the person shooting it. The M1A in the picture above is heavier and has a different center of gravity than that of the AR family.

Shooters need to do what works for them so long as it is safe for themselves and the people around them.

SF-

Just wondering how exactly it is held with the odd placement.

Nice lookin' AK there, not to get off topic but what pistol grip is that? I don't recognize it.

It is held in the odd placement by mounting it to the rails of the Mid West Industries, quad rail AK hand guard as seen here: <broken link removed>

The bottom rail is the perfect length of the MagPul Kool-aid thingy.

The pistol grip is the American made Galil style Pistol grip from Dipsticks-R-Us also known as ACE stocks (They earned the tittle dipstick fair and square by discontinuing the Galil pistol grip).

SF-

The pistol grip is the American made Galil style Pistol grip from Dipsticks-R-Us also known as ACE stocks (They earned the tittle dipstick fair and square by discontinuing the Galil pistol grip).

SF-
Also remember they earned that by wanting me to give a copy of my drivers liscense to ship to my work

I made a new thread so as not to fill up the .308 thread with unrelated junk. I see a lot of people using the new Magpul AFG but they place it in very strange places that don't make any sense to me.:huh:

This rifle is otherwise pretty nice looking but one thing on it struck me as very odd. The AFG is designed for thumb-over-bore shooting and it seems like it placed way too far back on this rifle. Pic related, it's how an AFG is designed to be used:

How do people use it when they stick it so close to the magazine well? It seems like they would be better served using a vertical foregrip and a beer can grip if they want to stick it way back there, or perhaps no grip accessories at all. Also, it has been awhile since I used an M1A so I might be wrong, but isn't the stock back there kind of... huge? How do you get your hand all the way around it?

It looks like this M1A was made for someone with really short arms and really huge hands! :D

Seeing as it's my rifle, I'll tell you. You're comparing an AFG on an M14 vs an AR15. Look at where the end of the stock is on my rifle and the AFG, then compare it to the distance on Haley's rifle. Just about the same. :winkkiss: You can't use a thumb-over grip on an M14 as it blocks the sights. But you can use it to pull the rifle back into your shoulder. It gives me better grip and control over the rifle and works great for me. :s0155:

Seeing as it's my rifle, I'll tell you. You're comparing an AFG on an M14 vs an AR15. Look at where the end of the stock is on my rifle and the AFG, then compare it to the distance on Haley's rifle. Just about the same. :winkkiss: You can't use a thumb-over grip on an M14 as it blocks the sights. But you can use it to pull the rifle back into your shoulder. It gives me better grip and control over the rifle and works great for me. :s0155:

These words sound so familiar.

SF-

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews