JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just picked up some WSPM at Hermiston Bi-Mart. $4.49 per sleeve, limit 2 sleeves. Pretty surprised to see them on the shelf for a 2021 decent price. AE565DF4-1C0E-4F75-B6DC-4F4018DCCA5C.jpeg

I picked up a case of these not long ago for like $40... now I'm wondering if I can use them for 9mm or am I relegated to .357magnum, both would be nice

As long as the striker or firing pin hits it with enough force.
It would also be prudent to reduce your loads slightly and work back up watching for pressure signs. Many claim to see no significant changes when running the small pistol magnum primers in place of standard. I always try to err on the side of caution, and can vouch for issues trying to run small rifle primers in a Glock 19.

Big supply? Or did you get the last ones? :)
Not a big supply on the shelf, maybe twenty or thirty sleeves of 100. But there may have been a couple of cases (5 bricks per case) tucked away under the shelf. Couldn't tell if they were primers or not. But that was yesterday morning, so they may be gone by now.

I picked up a case of these not long ago for like $40... now I'm wondering if I can use them for 9mm or am I relegated to .357magnum, both would be nice
There is an on line video regarding the use of small primers. It was done very well, using commercial test equipmenn. Bottom line no difference in performance, between SPP, SRP and MPP. The company doing the test is a commercial reloader. The ONLY concern was you need to make sure your weapon will fire the primers. Some lightened triggers or other mods may not ignite the primer. His conclusion is unmodified hand guns should be fine.
No swap on large primers were noted. LRP wont seat in pistol cases, as I believe they are taller. I saw the link to this video posted on NWFA. A search might find it.

79 BiMart stores in Oregon and Washington....How would you like to be the person who decides what stores split a shipment of, say, 20,000 primers? :s0114: And why THOSE stores?!
I wish they'd get a good selection of powder back on those upper shelves. Always looks so empty.

It would also be prudent to reduce your loads slightly and work back up watching for pressure signs. Many claim to see no significant changes when running the small pistol magnum primers in place of standard. I always try to err on the side of caution, and can vouch for issues trying to run small rifle primers in a Glock 19.
I agree that you should be prudent when loading ANY ammunition. I have tried various primers in loads, and with my limited testing capability, of cronographing, I concluded, as I suspected, that they worked fine. That said, the the extensive testing by a professional reloading company, indicated there are no significant changes, when using the various primers. Video link below.

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/t...-pistol-magnum-vs-small-rifle-primers.355253/

The company providing this assessment, has equipment resources which are beyond the typical reloader. They are putting their expertise on the line. They reload ammo for others, and will use any of the primer types discussed. Other than ensuring your firing mechanism will ignite, the various primer cup hardness differences, I have no fears about freely substituting primers, especially during this ridiculous hording-induced shortage. In my opinion, this puts to bed the ages long, "You can't substitute this or that primer in a load". This data does not apply to large primers or rifle rounds. I suspect you would probably see the same result in large pistol primer substitution, but I'm not making such a claim.

Another observation, which is pretty much unanswered, is what constitutes a Match or Bench grade primer? I've never seen any solid evidence provided by the manufacturers, that indicates they are actually better. Do I use them, yes for my precision ammo, but again question, the extra cost. In this day of automated manufacturing, the variability, between primers, made by the hundreds of thousands, or perhaps millions, cannot be much. I question this, without any proof, that they are worth more than standard primers. I've been involved with mass manufacturing of semiconductors and surface mounting components. If you operate a manufacturing line, the economy of scale, dictates you make the best, and eliminate variability as poor quality product is lost revenue. Unless they use some unobtainium in match grade primers, with is inordinately expensive, the criteria differences between match vs standard is probably miniscule.

I stopped in this morning, and alas, the Hermiston Bi-Mart was basically devoid of any powder, primers or ammo. I did, however score a shell holder for my nephew's RCBS Trim Pro for .308 Win., et al. They have been as tough to find as Varget or primers. So, he was pretty excited, since he has had it on back order for a couple months. Mailed him the .223 shell holder last week, so now he can trim his cases.

Not a big supply on the shelf, maybe twenty or thirty sleeves of 100. But there may have been a couple of cases (5 bricks per case) tucked away under the shelf. Couldn't tell if they were primers or not. But that was yesterday morning, so they may be gone by now.
Everything was gone by the time I made in there at about 12:00 Thursday. I wasn't surprised but still......:(

:D

I stopped in this morning, and alas, the Hermiston Bi-Mart was basically devoid of any powder, primers or ammo. I did, however score a shell holder for my nephew's RCBS Trim Pro for .308 Win., et al. They have been as tough to find as Varget or primers. So, he was pretty excited, since he has had it on back order for a couple months. Mailed him the .223 shell holder last week, so now he can trim his cases.
Just what are Bi-Mart stores? Sporting goods? Will have to check them out next time I'm in WA/OR

Just what are Bi-Mart stores? Sporting goods? Will have to check them out next time I'm in WA/OR

Kind of a unique chain of employee owned stores here in the northwest. For years that've been a go-to place for fire arms, loading supplies, all kinds of outdoor, fishing, hunting equipment. Hardware, clothing, gardening, home electronics, office etc, etc. They recently in the last year, closed their pharmacies though, which was a shame.
the stores have an "Old Time" feeling to them.

Kind of a unique chain of employee owned stores here in the northwest. For years that've been a go-to place for fire arms, loading supplies, all kinds of outdoor, fishing, hunting equipment. Hardware, clothing, gardening, home electronics, office etc, etc. They recently in the last year, closed their pharmacies though, which was a shame.
the stores have an "Old Time" feeling to them.
The Hermiston Bi-Mart still has a pharmacy in the store, wonder if it is going to be shut down.
Oh, and full disclosure there is a one time lifetime membership fee. FIVE DOLLARS! https://www.bimart.com/

The Hermiston Bi-Mart still has a pharmacy in the store, wonder if it is going to be shut down.
Oh, and full disclosure there is a one time lifetime membership fee. FIVE DOLLARS! https://www.bimart.com/
Here in this area the pharmacies have been shut down for almost a year. I'd say yours will stay. There's so much more competition here in potland.

Mikej, thanks. Almost looks like if Bi-Mart doesn't have it, a guy doesn't need it. Ironically, one of my daughters who has travelled thru WA & OR with me is here for the day and I told her we'll have to check out Bi-Marts next time we're there.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top