JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am just about at the end of my tour in the Magnum Nation.
(Back story)
When I started my foray into rifles and hunting it all started with a Model 721 .270. A few deer and some song dogs met there end with that rifle. It worked fine but I always had the desire to step up in ballistics and needed at least a .300 Winchester for the dreaded, barely stoppable, beasts I tracked in the field.

That invincible M70 .300 elevated my level in the animal kingdom. The dreaded beasts understood I was now a hunter to be reckoned with. The critters seemed to shy away a bit more and generally left the area I was in due to my appearance with a .300 magnum.

With the increase in animal toughness and size, a .338 Win magnum was the next logical step. A young cow elk (a foot soldier of the wapiti Forlorn Hope Brigade) dismissed my magnum atmosphere and attempted to charge my position in the woods. At 75 yards one power surge of magnum energy halted her assault and after a retreat of 30 yards she joined other past members of the Forlorn Hope.

As a result of the frontal assault I reevaluated my current situation and in order to better prepare myself for my next field expedition I raised the bar once again and combined forces with a .375 H&H M70.

In order to prepare this rifle and exude my increased magnum aura, a doe hunt was drawn, and set as the first field test. I’m sure I’m not the only one that feels this way but as far as deer go nothing requires more magnum power than an antlerless deer in eastern Oregon. Needless to say there is a lag in the animal world when you have a new rifle especially a magnum. The critters seem to feel braver and hang around a little longer than they should. The doe, that allowed me to get into range about 150yards, dismissed the .375 H&H magnum and succumbed rather spectacularly to 270 grains of lead and copper.

A 150yd shot in eastern Oregon could easily turn into 1000 yards. I pondered this situation and concluded that a 30-378 Weatherby should cover the distance dilemma. The first trial for this weapon would be mule deer in central Oregon. Of course there are a few trees but the ranges can be great and the 30-378 has that covered. As I glassed and scoured the landscape for a magnum worthy shot a little 4 point buck decided he could sneak past me at 79 yards. The magnum interrupted his escape even though he continued for another 100 yards on adrenalin.

Due to the Mule deer falling out of the magnum research spectrum next up would be a speed goat. Pronghorn hunting is always a long range affair so I could finally get the chance to let the 30-378 stretch its legs. Out on the open plains on the high desert my shot will be long something these magnums are made for, problem was the pronghorn felt my presence and tried to change the game. One was a little slow getting off the meadow and alerted me to the position of the herd. I never thought of hunting antelope in the trees but that’s where they went. So when that little buck popped up at 49 yards next to a ponderosa pine the 30-378 stopped him from evolving into a timber goat.

Now in review of my magnum experiences most of my shots on game have been somewhat close range, which helped me identify the next revelation. I need to go bigger, more magnum. A nice little .416 Remington followed me home one day. I am now near the pinnacle of Magnum. One thing I didn’t realize is that a .416 emits so much magnum aura the beasts leave the unit before you get there. So while under the stress of lugging around nearly half an inch of bore it dawned on me.

I don’t need a MAGNUM to successfully harvest game in Oregon.

So I’m back to a 308 win and a 338-06, bases covered.
(Why is that .338 Lapua looking at me?)

My .340wby just sings to me and demands that it be used when ever possable.. but has yet to aquire target further then 150yrds. (well, maybe a few ground rats way the heck out there..)
I personaly have always wanted a .458 winmag.. someday it will be mine.

In all reallity... My .35 Whelen will do anything that I need done. :)

But still, I do love those magnums!

I got the long range bug about 30 years ago, and after much reading and research, I decided on the ultimate long range caliber of the day.
The .30-338 WinMag, able to launch a 200gr bullet at over 3,000fps, it was THE match cartridge of it's day.
I found one at a reasonable price, had it crowned and the barrel set back and rechambered, free floated the barrel and bedded the action.
A mere "few hundred" dollars (of the 1985 value/variety) for glass and decent mounts and I was on my way to 1000yd nirvana.
After the third trip to the range I had it consistently shooting a single ragged hole at 200yds with 180 grainers and was ready to "step on out" as far as range was concerned.
The next trip out we took the new 200gr SMK loads, the chrono and the Sierra book with us to determine the approximate trajectory and settings.

By the time I made it through the first 20 rounds, I had developed a flinch that made ME the limiting factor in the equation.
To make a long story short, at the end of the day, I looked at my black and blue shoulder, and decided that 1,000yd nirvana was nowhere I was ever going to dwell.
4000+ lbs of muzzle energy makes for more recoil than I cared to deal with, in a gun easily carried at ~10 lbs

But my .270 has kept on killing long after the .30-338 went down the road, and it took me more rounds to get over my flinch shooting the .270, than it did to develop, shooting the Mag.
And I haven't noticed a flinch since!
But since then, I have built a 6.5x57Mauser Ackley, and it shows considerable promise at extended ranges.
The problem now is, my eyeballs aren't near as good as they were in 1985!

Wile hunting in the brush [bear and cat, with dogs- Elk hiking- and deer hunting] I used a mod 660 - 350 Rem. Mag. with 250 gr. spire point, reloads.

With all the .308 caliber projectiles available for reloading custom bullets [The most versatile of all calibers]
I chose the 300 Win Mag.
I have made one shot kills at six hundred yards +. Using custom reloaded bullets.
Silver Hand

I've taken about 25 deer, antelope and elk with my .270 and .30-06. The 300 win mag I bought I sold because I was afraid of it. I also have a .308. I recently acquired a 7mm mag, which I really like, and took a nice mulie with it this year. For some reason, I'm looking seriously at another .300 win mag but haven't been able to "pull the trigger" on it yet.

IMG_0317.jpg

the first deer i shot was with a .30-30. i moved on to bigger and better... and bigger and better. the 300 win mag was a hoot to shoot. at steel. far away. occasionally.

now, what's my first rifle to grab? the .30-30. it works works well. i can shoot it right or left handed, comfortably. it can put meat on the table.

I've taken about 25 deer, antelope and elk with my .270 and .30-06. The 300 win mag I bought I sold because I was afraid of it. I also have a .308. I recently acquired a 7mm mag, which I really like, and took a nice mulie with it this year. For some reason, I'm looking seriously at another .300 win mag but haven't been able to "pull the trigger" on it yet.

The nice thing about hand loading for the .300 win mag. or any other large .308 is you have plenty of choices in bullets and powder capacity.
Some loads I shoot with 180 grains of lead traveling 3,200 + fps blur my eyes when fired, but are on a fairly flat trajectory.
Others including cast boolits traveling around 1,200 fps just bloop, with the trajectory of a foot ball. I can still hit a quarter @ 100 yards. A squirrels head at that distance due to the optics on my big game rifle. [ Yes I do miss occasionally ]
I think it is the best Bang for the Buck, Elk, Bear, or what ever a person chooses. Particularly if you reload your own rounds.

Recently picked up a 300 win mag mk II - gun was new in box 7 years old unfired. Apparently the guy I got it from has worked gun counters for several years and bought it when he was supposed to do an elk hunt 7 years ago. His hunt fell through and he never used it - says the only shooting he does much of any more is trap and skeet, a little pistol and some sage rat so it was time to sell it. I decided to pick it up for hunting next year and maybe start shooting some 1000 yard shooting as well - now its time to figure out which glass I'm going to run on it and work up some loads for both purposes.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top