JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As I have stated many times before, gettin old SUCKS but is a fact of life we have to deal with or crawl in a hole and never return.

I have many ailments and the most recent has been the eyes. In January I had cataract surgery and it has been a pain to get adjusted to it.

I strain to get clarity anymore even with glasses so I am going to try using a magnifying lamp/light. Does anyone else use these? I would really like to find an older/well made floor model relic if possible.

As always, any advice is greatly appreciated.;)

As I have stated many times before, gettin old SUCKS but is a fact of life we have to deal with or crawl in a hole and never return.

I have many ailments and the most recent has been the eyes. In January I had cataract surgery and it has been a pain to get adjusted to it.

I strain to get clarity anymore even with glasses so I am going to try using a magnifying lamp/light. Does anyone else use these? I would really like to find an older/well made floor model relic if possible.

As always, any advice is greatly appreciated.;)
I've got one for my reloading room set up. It's a combo light and magnifier with a long arm that clamps to the edge of the table. Works great for slivers too! :D

I use these for any detail work:
upload_2018-5-16_7-25-23.png

Great for electronics, fly tying, tiny writing, etc.. Comes with replaceable lenses in several magnifications (1.5-3x) and a nice little aimable LED light. The lenses flip up out of the way when you don't need them and changing them is a snap. It's comfortable to wear and chicks dig it.

https://www.amazon.com/Carson-Magni...1526480569&sr=1-6&keywords=magnifying+headset

If you buy through Amazon, make sure you go through smile.amazon.com and donate to SAF.

You can also install magnifying apps on smartphones that will let you take a picture as well.

Last Edited:
View attachment 460518

Great for electronics, fly tying, tiny writing, etc.. Comes with replaceable lenses in several magnifications (1.5-3x) and a nice little aimable LED light. It's comfortable to wear and chicks dig it.

https://www.amazon.com/Carson-Magni...1526480569&sr=1-6&keywords=magnifying+headset

If you buy through Amazon, make sure you go through smile.amazon.com and donate to SAF.

You can also install magnifying apps on smartphones that will let you take a picture as well.

@Caveman Jim ! These ought to look great on you! Just don't forget to take them off before heading to the store! :D

Spendy, but looks like something I could use too.
The Best Floor Standing Magnifier - Hammacher Schlemmer

Looks like a toilet seat. :D
Led Illuminated Magnifier in Stock - Uline

@Caveman Jim ! These ought to look great on you! Just don't forget to take them off before heading to the store! :D

Spendy, but looks like something I could use too.
The Best Floor Standing Magnifier - Hammacher Schlemmer

Looks like a toilet seat. :D
Led Illuminated Magnifier in Stock - Uline

The Ulines are better but make sure you get the version that has something more solid than that clamp mount.

I initially needed magnification for electronics work and went through many options before trying the headset. The headset turned out to be both the cheapest and best option. With the other systems I was constantly adjusting the magnifier and it was always getting in the way and took up too much room. The magnification is also fixed so you are limited to whatever one you got.

last night while i was reloading some 7.62 nato, my 4YO wanted to help. he cant even see over the bench but, hes tall enough to grab the press handle. i found the perfect job for him!! seating bullets! i did all the prep and powder, i would then put a case with a bullet in the press and he would seat them! he had a blast helping dad! AND HE DIDNT SMASH MY FINGERS!!

my master plan is starting! i got him interested! in time, he can just load them all for us! :D

i swear when i was a kid, i would just blow thru ammo like crazy. since ive been reloding for about 10 years now i have a lot more ammo but i dont go thru it as fast.

A buddy gave me one of the spring-loaded arm swing-from-base-mount wall units with the large magnifier in the center surrounded by a fluorescent tube. While thrifty enough (free) the optical quality is sketchy enough it is hardly used. Advise you insure of decent optical quality before purchase any unit.

I get better resolution out of the headband mounted magnifier units. Mine, alas, are from an era predating the little lighted attachment.

View attachment 460518

Great for electronics, fly tying, tiny writing, etc.. Comes with replaceable lenses in several magnifications (1.5-3x) and a nice little aimable LED light. The lenses flip up out of the way when you don't need them and changing them is a snap. It's comfortable to wear and chicks dig it.

I could see these for that type of work but if I wore those & turned my head too fast I'd get dizzy...:eek:

last night while i was reloading some 7.62 nato, my 4YO wanted to help. he cant even see over the bench but, hes tall enough to grab the press handle. i found the perfect job for him!! seating bullets! i did all the prep and powder, i would then put a case with a bullet in the press and he would seat them! he had a blast helping dad! AND HE DIDNT SMASH MY FINGERS!!

my master plan is starting! i got him interested! in time, he can just load them all for us! :D

i swear when i was a kid, i would just blow thru ammo like crazy. since ive been reloding for about 10 years now i have a lot more ammo but i dont go thru it as fast.

I've got my first grandchild coming in June and I plan to get her involved in all of this.;)

I could see these for that type of work but if I wore those & turned my head too fast I'd get dizzy...:eek:

I just leave the lenses flipped up until I need them, then flip them back up when done. It's so light I've even forgotten I was wearing it at times much to chagrin of Mrs 3M.

I like to wear safety glasses during reloading and have some with +2 inserts in the lower halfs...let's me see details easily without wearing anything heavy or needing to mount more stuff.

What does it have in its pocketses?. lol

I had no idea that was an option. We have some parts at work that the S/N's are so small, I usually take a photo of them, then zoom in on the photo to read the numbers. This will be much easier to use! Worst part about these features is you don't know they exist until someone shows you - and I've been using an iPhone since the model 4's.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top