Magnifying lamps for reloading/projects

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Caveman Jim, May 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim
    Fish killer....
    Kokanee Slayer Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer

As I have stated many times before, gettin old SUCKS but is a fact of life we have to deal with or crawl in a hole and never return.

I have many ailments and the most recent has been the eyes. In January I had cataract surgery and it has been a pain to get adjusted to it.

I strain to get clarity anymore even with glasses so I am going to try using a magnifying lamp/light. Does anyone else use these? I would really like to find an older/well made floor model relic if possible.

As always, any advice is greatly appreciated.;)

skydiver and DizzyJ like this.
  2. DizzyJ

DizzyJ
    Lost
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I've got one for my reloading room set up. It's a combo light and magnifier with a long arm that clamps to the edge of the table. Works great for slivers too! :D

Caveman Jim and Retired Guy like this.
  3. Goosebrown

Goosebrown
    Columbia County
    Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

Joann’s fabrics sells good ones that are color corrected. Pricy but they have online coupons sometimes 49% off

Caveman Jim likes this.
  4. 3MTA3

3MTA3
    Western Oregon
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

I use these for any detail work:
    upload_2018-5-16_7-25-23.png

Great for electronics, fly tying, tiny writing, etc.. Comes with replaceable lenses in several magnifications (1.5-3x) and a nice little aimable LED light. The lenses flip up out of the way when you don't need them and changing them is a snap. It's comfortable to wear and chicks dig it.

https://www.amazon.com/Carson-Magni...1526480569&sr=1-6&keywords=magnifying+headset

If you buy through Amazon, make sure you go through smile.amazon.com and donate to SAF.

You can also install magnifying apps on smartphones that will let you take a picture as well.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    maddog, etrain16 and Caveman Jim like this.
  5. Mikej

Mikej
    Portland
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer 2018 Volunteer

@Caveman Jim ! These ought to look great on you! Just don't forget to take them off before heading to the store! :D

Spendy, but looks like something I could use too.
    The Best Floor Standing Magnifier - Hammacher Schlemmer

Looks like a toilet seat. :D
    Led Illuminated Magnifier in Stock - Uline

skydiver, Caveman Jim and 3MTA3 like this.
  6. 3MTA3

3MTA3
    Western Oregon

The Ulines are better but make sure you get the version that has something more solid than that clamp mount.

I initially needed magnification for electronics work and went through many options before trying the headset. The headset turned out to be both the cheapest and best option. With the other systems I was constantly adjusting the magnifier and it was always getting in the way and took up too much room. The magnification is also fixed so you are limited to whatever one you got.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  7. Mark W.

Mark W.
    Silverton, OR
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

skydiver, etrain16 and Caveman Jim like this.
  8. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf
    SE Portland

What does it have in its pocketses?. lol

etrain16 and Caveman Jim like this.
  9. v0lcom13sn0w

v0lcom13sn0w
    Keizer
    This title is LCS CUSTOM! Gold Supporter

last night while i was reloading some 7.62 nato, my 4YO wanted to help. he cant even see over the bench but, hes tall enough to grab the press handle. i found the perfect job for him!! seating bullets! i did all the prep and powder, i would then put a case with a bullet in the press and he would seat them! he had a blast helping dad! AND HE DIDNT SMASH MY FINGERS!!

my master plan is starting! i got him interested! in time, he can just load them all for us! :D

i swear when i was a kid, i would just blow thru ammo like crazy. since ive been reloding for about 10 years now i have a lot more ammo but i dont go thru it as fast.

partsed, AirResq, Dungannon and 3 others like this.
  10. 41mag

41mag
    sunny Orygun
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

A buddy gave me one of the spring-loaded arm swing-from-base-mount wall units with the large magnifier in the center surrounded by a fluorescent tube. While thrifty enough (free) the optical quality is sketchy enough it is hardly used. Advise you insure of decent optical quality before purchase any unit.

I get better resolution out of the headband mounted magnifier units. Mine, alas, are from an era predating the little lighted attachment.

Caveman Jim and 3MTA3 like this.
  11. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim
    Fish killer....

Cool thanks for all the replies, I will definitely check them out after I get off the river. LOL :D:D:D:p

3MTA3 likes this.
  12. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim
    Fish killer....

I could see these for that type of work but if I wore those & turned my head too fast I'd get dizzy...:eek:

3MTA3 likes this.
  13. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim
    Fish killer....

DI don't have an IPhone yet...;)

Certaindeaf likes this.
  14. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim
    Fish killer....

If I win the lottery I'll buy the company... lol

I may opt for the table top version to start with then if I need it in different places I'll get the larger model with wheels.

15. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim
    Fish killer....

I've got my first grandchild coming in June and I plan to get her involved in all of this.;)

16. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf
    SE Portland

I hear ya. Probably any phone with a camera.
    I was more meaning to say that electronics have been a go-to for almost blind people for quite a while.. some lens connected to a screen, large or small.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  17. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim
    Fish killer....

Gotcha, but for my needs the mag/lite must be hands free. Good to know this function exists.;)

18. 3MTA3

3MTA3
    Western Oregon

I just leave the lenses flipped up until I need them, then flip them back up when done. It's so light I've even forgotten I was wearing it at times much to chagrin of Mrs 3M.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  19. techiej

techiej
    vancouver, wa

I like to wear safety glasses during reloading and have some with +2 inserts in the lower halfs...let's me see details easily without wearing anything heavy or needing to mount more stuff.

3MTA3, Caveman Jim and Will_White like this.
  20. etrain16

etrain16
    Oregon
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter 2017 Volunteer

I had no idea that was an option. We have some parts at work that the S/N's are so small, I usually take a photo of them, then zoom in on the photo to read the numbers. This will be much easier to use! Worst part about these features is you don't know they exist until someone shows you - and I've been using an iPhone since the model 4's.