Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

magnetic cleaning mat.

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by mrblond, Jun 22, 2015.

1. mrblond

mrblond Salem OR Well-Known Member

Anyone use one and if so what and where did you buy it.

I know that nothing sucks more then having a screw, or a small spring roll off and not being able to find it. I would love to have a mat where the part falls off would just stick to the mat and not just roll wherever.

2. CHLChris

CHLChris Portland Metro East Love me some guns! Bronze Supporter

I don't know a whole lot about magnets, but wouldn't tools or spare screws or other ferrous items eventually take on their own magnetism if someone were to leave them on a magnetized mat?

I prefer to use cardboard as a mat and I keep a plastic bowl right next to my mat to put screws and such temporarily as I take stuff apart.

You can buy magnetic tape at Home Depot or Michaels. Maybe you could stick a few strips of it to your work station surface above or below or the side of your normal mat. Just an idea...

3. F2CMaDMaXX

F2CMaDMaXX West of Portland from England Bullet goes where now? Staff Member Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I'm not sure they exist in quite this form.

Most people use the mechanics magnetic bowls if they need anything more than a regular bowl/box to put parts in.
    I prefer something like the Otis rifle length mat, soft surface that doesn't bounce badly.

4. mrblond

I found it..

http://www.usgmc.net/

I saw it on one of Iraqveteran8888 vids and it looked so useful for keeping those little parts off the floor.

5. F2CMaDMaXX

F2CMaDMaXX West of Portland from England Bullet goes where now? Staff Member Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Ahh cool.

Some of the products there look pretty good actually.

6. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

Neat idea but I know me...I would take it out near the lathe or mill some day..Then it would never ever be the same..Drop it in the metal chips I would..

7. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

If it ain't strong enough to catch the infamous spring in mid-air that launches accross the room, it's a moot point. :D;)

F2CMaDMaXX likes this.
  8. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

Oh that spring that ricochet off my face before landing somewhere behind a cabinet that is a 1/2" from the wall!

Stomper likes this.
  9. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

I use a magnetic cutting map. My sister bought it for me off Amazon. Works very well and came with a very nice metal ruler.

10. mrblond

my Valor had some of my wall mashed into the bushing plug from when it shot off while I was field stripping it.

11. CHLChris

CHLChris Portland Metro East Love me some guns! Bronze Supporter

Better sheetrock than cheekmeat.