JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've seen a handful of this sort of thing okay out on YouTube channels. One scuba kid found a gun and reported it only to end up getting arrested. I feel like these cops rather just let the evidence sit and trust into oblivion vs actually have to work to find out why a ton of munitions is in a river on their property. IE, they likely have someone in the inside stealing stuff…

Any recreation on military installations is a cluster fxxx. There's so many conflicting regulations and jurisdictions that it's nearly impossible for a normal person to truly be aware of them all. Often times the people enforcing the rules are oblivious or incorrect as well.

I remember when I was stationed at JBER, AK, trying to figure out what, when, and where you could hunt on post was such a nightmare. You'd ask the MP at the gate and they'd say one thing, you'd ask the game warden and they'd say something different, you'd ask your CO and they'd say something different still (not that they'd really know, but they're the one who's going to ruin your life if you get in trouble over it).

Learned pretty quick to just be safe and go off post.

Any recreation on military installations is a cluster fxxx. There's so many conflicting regulations and jurisdictions that it's nearly impossible for a normal person to truly be aware of them all. Often times the people enforcing the rules are oblivious or incorrect as well.

I remember when I was stationed at JBER, AK, trying to figure out what, when, and where you could hunt on post was such a nightmare. You'd ask the MP at the gate and they'd say one thing, you'd ask the game warden and they'd say something different, you'd ask your CO and they'd say something different still (not that they'd really know, but they're the one who's going to ruin your life if you get in trouble over it).

Learned pretty quick to just be safe and go off post.
The thing (relative to your statements) that I learned in the military, was that the career senior enlisted (and I suppose the occifers, but I never really served under any except warrants), always had some rule or reg that they liked to trot out to keep you in line or to beat you down, when they desired to.

One "rule" I heard was not to listen to scuttlebutt (rumors) but to go to my supervisor and ask, rather than assume and spread rumors. It blew back on them once when they themselves accused me of being guilty of some rumor they heard from my fellow enlisted, and I explained to them why it wasn't true, and why they were wrong in trying to punish me for some rumor about me. I loved the look on their faces when I called them on their own hypocrisy.

I did something similar to my CPO when he was telling other enlisted that they should re-enlist because civilian life was so hard. I asked him how he would know that since he had only ever been in the service since he was 18 and didn't know from first hand experience what civilian life was like on "the outside" and whereas I had more experience working as a civilian than he did. He soon found out when he retired and wasn't qualified to do anything but stand guard on a bunch of logs at the local lumber mill - during the graveyard shift.

In short, sometimes I reveled in calling my "seniors" on their own bovine fecal matter. I sometimes wondered how they got to where they were in life.

I saw that one and wondered about it. They apparently tried to do some due diligence but were misinformed about where they were allowed to "fish". The cop who ticketed them was a state LEO, correct? Not a Fed? I would see where it could be pretty confusing. Even the MPs didn't think they were doing anything wrong.

Personally I thought the guy was pretty authoritarian, came down on them plenty harsh, considering that they were sincerely trying to do the right thing, but then again it was a military instillation, and they were messing around with military ordinance- doesn't seem like the brightest thing to do.

I read through some of the comments (I know, never read YouTube comments), and some who claimed to be knowledgeable said that they stood a very good chance of getting their tickets seriously reduced or thrown out if they showed up in court and asked for leniency. If it were me, I'd show up, humbly acknowledge my mistake, and ask for leniency. If leniency is not given, pay up and move on; lesson learned.

Then again I'd never be in that particular situation, as I know better than to ever go near any type of military ordinance on any type of military installation.

Feel a little, VERY little sympathy for them but WTF? If I was doing that and pulled up ONE rocket I would have dropped the damn thing and gotten the hell out of there. To keep pulling them up:confused:
You said what I said, with a fraction of the words, straight to the point. I need to learn to be more succinct, less long-winded. :)

later they announced the citations had been dropped, they offered this wise advice: "Do not go magnet fishing for anything on a military base. We've learned our lesson. Don't make our same mistakes."

I think the courts made their point here. Glad they dropped this. By all the press on this hopefully others will not make the same mistake and have to deal with the hassle.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top