JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A few new years resolutions have left me with a lot of spare time. I've been seeing magnet fishing videos for the last couple years and honestly it looks like a gang of fun.

Before you go crazy I'm not interested in the big finds like guns knives etc etc (seen so many clickbait youtube videos titled "we found an ARMORY on our magnet fishing hunt" and they find some dirty old revolver and a shotgun). I've also been fishing in the NW since I was a kid so know to avoid other fishermen and not step on any toes.

Anyways continuing on.

Looking to take up some time with magnet fishing.

Any legal info I need to know?

Any good areas I need to know of to magnet fish?

Located in SW WA between ridgefield and Vancouver

I would look for ghost towns around rivers, and probably stay out of mill ponds ( also full of snags). I hear docks can be fun, same with bridges, but stay away from the structure unless you want to lose a magnet. Popular fishing holes and plung pools below rapids would be good. Creeks in the gorge or popular hiking trails at crossings.

All a guess, but please follow up with pictures! :)

I would look for ghost towns around rivers, and probably stay out of mill ponds ( also full of snags). I hear docks can be fun, same with bridges, but stay away from the structure unless you want to lose a magnet. Popular fishing holes and plung pools below rapids would be good. Creeks in the gorge or popular hiking trails at crossings.

All a guess, but please follow up with pictures! :)
Thanks for the advice!

Well, I have read about a ton if "boating accidents" on NW Firearms, so don't set your sights to low......🤣
Never tried it but thought it would be fun, stuff rusts so fast it would probably be more of the thrill of wondering what you were going to find rather than any value.
Growing up we found a very old rusty set of binoculars in a creek on our property. Neat to look at and wonder where they came from.

This thread got dark quick... :s0131:
I bought a magnet with rope to leave in my car. If ever get a chance to throw it in a stream or river, I try. So far I've only done it once, the most I've pulled up was needles and trash. Kind of lost all interest after, and thought, man people out there bodies in this river!

A few new years resolutions have left me with a lot of spare time. I've been seeing magnet fishing videos for the last couple years and honestly it looks like a gang of fun.

Before you go crazy I'm not interested in the big finds like guns knives etc etc (seen so many clickbait youtube videos titled "we found an ARMORY on our magnet fishing hunt" and they find some dirty old revolver and a shotgun). I've also been fishing in the NW since I was a kid so know to avoid other fishermen and not step on any toes.

Anyways continuing on.

Looking to take up some time with magnet fishing.

Any legal info I need to know?

Any good areas I need to know of to magnet fish?

Located in SW WA between ridgefield and Vancouver
I would think docks or marina's would be good targets, as packing and unpacking gear always seems to yield "Pocket Minnows" that want to go back into the water (Keys, knives, reels, general equipment)..
When I was about 7 or 8, (early 70's), and this wasn't a magnetic fishing experience, but similar in result. I was fishing out in a large creek/river, can't even remember where, and I had this little zebco kid rod (Basically a rod to keep you occupied so the adults can do actual fishing and not have to stop you from throwing rocks or sticks into the water, spooking the fish).
I was trying to cast as far as I could, trying to reach the other side. I snagged something..I reeled and reeled and couldn't figure out what it was.. took a while as I dragged it along the bottom. It wasn't a fish and it wasn't too heavy. To my glee I pulled up a nice Eagle Claw steelhead road, complete with a Mitchell reel. It couldn't have been in the water more than a couple days, it was like new.. It must have fallen out of someone's boat. It became my "childhood" rod which assaulted many fish for decades.

It was a cool find.. memorable.

I would think docks or marina's would be good targets, as packing and unpacking gear always seems to yield "Pocket Minnows" that want to go back into the water (Keys, knives, reels, general equipment)..
When I was about 7 or 8, (early 70's), and this wasn't a magnetic fishing experience, but similar in result. I was fishing out in a large creek/river, can't even remember where, and I had this little zebco kid rod (Basically a rod to keep you occupied so the adults can do actual fishing and not have to stop you from throwing rocks or sticks into the water, spooking the fish).
I was trying to cast as far as I could, trying to reach the other side. I snagged something..I reeled and reeled and couldn't figure out what it was.. took a while as I dragged it along the bottom. It wasn't a fish and it wasn't too heavy. To my glee I pulled up a nice Eagle Claw steelhead road, complete with a Mitchell reel. It couldn't have been in the water more than a couple days, it was like new.. It must have fallen out of someone's boat. It became my "childhood" rod which assaulted many fish for decades.

It was a cool find.. memorable.
Thanks for sharing. That's an awesome find!

I bought a magnet with rope to leave in my car. If ever get a chance to throw it in a stream or river, I try. So far I've only done it once, the most I've pulled up was needles and trash. Kind of lost all interest after, and thought, man people out there bodies in this river!
That's the first thing I thought when I saw this thread. Why the heck someone would want to go fishing for rusted trash I have no idea. I would rather fish for, you know, fish! That's fun. But to each their own I guess.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top