JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This begs the question; how many magazines is enough? Back when I was just entering adulthood during the Obama years, I never prioritized collecting extra magazines for a rainy day.

I have since become much wiser and made sure to accumulate more magazines here and there throughout the Trump years. I have a healthy amount now but will probably try to pick up at least a couple more just in case there is a run on them.

Magazines are consumables. They wear, they fail.

How many magazines to have for what one owns and does? That is completely subjective and dependent on a number of factors:

How much does one shoot (daily, weekly, monthly, seasonally)?

How does one shoot (bench, static, practical motion)?

How long does one want to continue shooting whichever method? Forward thinking over lack of consumables resupply CAN be a guide as to how many consumables to have on hand.

Also, adjustments can be made to practical drills to mitigate magazine damage. Easiest is to practice administrative swaps, rather than drops, using well placed dump pouches.

So, in short, be realistic/reasonable if attempting to stock up now on magazines. Realize that damaged magazines will be useful stripped for parts, if the body/lips etc do become damaged.

So for some folks a handful (or less) will last lifetimes. While other folks may want dozens (or more) of spares....

I still have unopened Pmags from when Obama first got elected.
Decided to pick up 10 more GI mags couple of months ago because I was getting another AR

Very well said @Camelfilter. One persons just right might be another's not close enough or insanely overkill.

Having lived through the AWB94, I remember when preban magazines went for absolutely nuts prices. As such, up until recently, with few exceptions, whenever we acquired a firearm that fed from detachable magazines, I went a little gonzo. As in bought up a ton and stored in various boxes. (The rare non-semi-auto/hunting rifle, not so much, but anything semiautomatic or select-fire, silly time.)

Now? Oh, we've got a decent amount for certain platforms. But slowed down and I don't do those levels any more. I even sold off a bunch last year. There is no perfect answer and no one can foretell the future with respect to idiotic and unconstitutional bans. So, to each their own.

And there is something to be said about the simplicity of the tube-fed lever-action. Load, shoot, smile, rinse and repeat. Di Vinci is reported to have said "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"; he had a point and there is something lovely about a nicely balanced, fast-handling, reliable as the day is long, lever-action. (Before anyone screams "Fuuuuuudd", well, me and my beloved did many mag dumps with a pre-May 1986 submachine-gun on MLK Day. So, yah, no. :p)

An update to my first response on this post. Palmetto State Armory is now out of all .223/5.56 D&H mags. Both the 10 mags deal and the 7 mag deal with the gun case are gone. As well as the single D&H mag listing. The cheapest .223/5.56 mags are Pmags at nearly 13$.

An update to my first response on this post. Palmetto State Armory is now out of all .223/5.56 D&H mags. Both the 10 mags deal and the 7 mag deal with the gun case are gone. As well as the single D&H mag listing. The cheapest .223/5.56 mags are Pmags at nearly 13$.

I guess we have you to blame for starting the run on mags then! (Kidding of course!)

Screw that, it only develops training scars. An empty mag hitting the dirt should not do anything to it and if it does that mag was a POS ready to fail.

You are correct & I do agree to to an extent.

However folks whom wish to, will adapt as needs be.

Not everyone may have access to a tactical range routinely, so may only be able to shoot standing on cement pads, some folks range "dirt" is near on like cement some times of the year.

Etc....

FWIW, Sportsman's in Vancouver has hundreds of P-Mags a whole bunch of other brands of AR mags and lots of Glock mags. But absolutely no .300 Blackout Lancer mags:mad:

FWIW, Sportsman's in Vancouver has hundreds of P-Mags a whole bunch of other brands of AR mags and lots of Glock mags. But absolutely no .300 Blackout Lancer mags:mad:

Smoke ones are $19

Black ones are $16

There are many more magazine manufacturers today than there were when AWB94 was enacted. That will mitigate some of the impact panic buying will have. Plus, many of us have already laid in stocks of spares after the previous panics. Someone earlier mentioned still having unopened mags from the '08 Obama panic. I think many of us are in that same situation.

Even so, I fully expect to see another panic run. It's inevitable. The day someone in Congress proposes a 10 round limit or a reincarnation of the 1994 AWB it will begin.

-E-

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads