JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It probably wasn't in the pistol. He said he doesn't keep his 9mm loaded either. If it was in the pistol, the magazine wasn't put in with sufficient pressure to secure it or something was wrong.

I've never been able to understand keeping a CCW unloaded.:confused: Some people must like having a pistol shaped hammer.

He's still not out of the woods as it might be illegal to have a weapon ON the property, even in the vehicle. When I go to the local SS office I park offsite just because of this.

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Feedback Score" is low by 4, not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

I recently read an article about popular mods that shouldn't be done to carry guns. The first mod they said should never be done was extended mag release because it can result in this problem - lean against the center console/seat belt and drop your mag in the car exposing your "concealed" weapon - or worse yet - drop your mag without realizing it on a gun with a mag safety and draw a useless piece that gets you shot and without video/witnesses you end up being accused of being the bad guy and dead. Another thing to avoid was the extended slide lock/release - end up accidentally pushing up the release and accidentally lock up the gun when you are going for a followup shot or engaging a second bad guy. Have to wonder if this guy had an extended mag release.

I once had a spare mag hit the ground as I waited outside the restroom. Totally freaked me out for a sec as I saw a couple 45 rounds spin across the floor. There were three other folks there and it was sorta nice that only 1 of em noticed the incident and didn't freak out. I simply gathered my stuff and shoved it in a pocket. My plastic mag holder(can't recall the brand so I won't guess) had self disassembled on me. Probably a result of rubbing on the chair at dinner. Later that night my wife found the pieces and snapped it back together. I told her thanks and tossed the piece of $%*&. Just won't trust a mag holder that would do that to me. Dang thing slid together like a cell phone battery cover. Live and learn........this time :)

Left-handers who practice drawing a semi-auto pistol will eventually pop the magazine release button by mistake, and the mag will go flying on the draw. It's inevitable with some pistols with prominant buttons. You have to train yourself not to do it, and select a pistol with this issue in mind. Also, many IWB holsters need to be cut so that the material itself does not contact the mag release button, or you walk around with the mag released and waiting to drop.......................elsullo

Left-handers who practice drawing a semi-auto pistol will eventually pop the magazine release button by mistake, and the mag will go flying on the draw. It's inevitable with some pistols with prominant buttons. You have to train yourself not to do it, and select a pistol with this issue in mind. Also, many IWB holsters need to be cut so that the material itself does not contact the mag release button, or you walk around with the mag released and waiting to drop.......................elsullo

I am a lefty and have never had this happen.

Any other lefty's have this problem?

Lefty.

Am not a lefty but carry a Kel Tec P32 in a pocket holster in left pocket behind my wallet. Recently the mag has been partly out of the gun several times so will be making a different holster that has a cut out for it to solve this problem. I also shoot action pistol part of the time with my weak hand and have dumped the mag on the 1911 once with the trigger finger, gun has an extended mag release. The XD or Glocks have a smaller and stiffer mag release and don't seam to be a problem for me when shooting weak handed.

This happens more with leftys because the mag release button on most guns is away from our bodies. This means that if we bump into a door frame, wall, shopping cart, chair handle, whatever, the mag release can be pressed causing the mag to pop out.

Some holsters for right handers have design flaws that let the gun move a bit with part of the holster pressing the mag release button. Usually looser fitting cheap plastic.

I know I'll catch some flack for this but here goes...
I have a Wa. CCW, I've trained and qualified in other states as well. I like how easy it is to get a permit here.
But it worries me that no training or knowledge is required to pack here. Most of us, I'm sure know what we're doing, but I've met some that have no idea how to use their equiptment or when for that matter.

I carry a G30 IWB on my right hand side... and several times the magazine eject button has got pressed, with just my sitting motions and moving around.... at one time i walked into my parents house and pulled out my gun to show my pops my new night sites and what do ya know! there was no mag... It was happily sitting in my drivers seat... I own 3 glocks and the mag eject on the 30 seems to stick out more... i dont have that issue with the other 2 when i carry them

I know I'll catch some flack for this but here goes...
I have a Wa. CCW, I've trained and qualified in other states as well. I like how easy it is to get a permit here.
But it worries me that no training or knowledge is required to pack here. Most of us, I'm sure know what we're doing, but I've met some that have no idea how to use their equiptment or when for that matter.

Yes you will. Where does it say in the Constitution "training required to exercise your rights"? A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. Having to even have a permit is an infringement and have to take a few hour class is even more of an infringement.

It is the responsibility of the INDIVIDUAL that is exercising their right to do it well. To think that someone that took a single 6 hr class is a better person to carry then one that much much more time with firearms is a faulty feel good idea..........

I don't think you should need a class to own guns.
As far as training to carry concealed, I'm not saying even pass/fail. Just some kind of information on safe handleing, use of deadly force and such. Even a pamphlet that people would have to read would be something.
I understand concerns over the prospect of courses that could be priced out of people means, or impossible to meet qualifications. All serving as a sneaky kind of gun control. That's not what I'm talking about.
But I've talked to people who have the attitude of "I'd just shoot him for..." talking, looking, etc, "at me like that." Or people thinking it's ok to pull their gun to make a point.
What about people who carry a gun but have no idea how to do it safely, or use it effectivley?
A couple of weeks ago I witnessed a guy showing off his CC rig. Here's the scenario, right handed guy wearing snub, cross-draw. That's ok right? Except for it it was loose (when I say loose I mean flopping around in the holster loose) in the holster with no retention devices. Well ok I guess? And the holster was floppy on the belt. All right whatever? And the holster was in about the 8-9 o'clock position. So he had to lift it out with his left hand, to shift it to his right hand! The guy clearly had no idea what he was doing.
I know this kind of stuff is the exception not the rule. But it only takes 'X' amount of knuckleheads to spoil it for everybody. I don't think we should give anti-gun sleazebags any ammunition.
Guns are a Right, but they are also a Responsibility. Quite frankly I don't think we should need a permit to carry open or concealed, and that should be honored in all states. But we should know how and when to use a gun for self defense.
Think of hunters education for hunting. Is that so terrible? The NRA seems to be ok with it.
How well you shoot is up to you. But knowing how and when to do it should be an obligation, and that is free.
"An armed society is a polite society." I don't recall who said that, but it makes sense to me.

Sure, that works. While we're at it, let's have training for religious worship. Ever see how many people a year are killed for the sake of "God" in one form or another? Oh, and training for free speech as well. Can't have all that evil hate speech out there. If we train radio talk show guys better, they won't be so vile. Then we can move on to assembly, training in trial by jury (not a bad idea, really!), training in keeping quiet when the cops talk to us, ad nauseum.

Training is nice, but requiring it could put us in the situation they have in DC and Chicago. Sure, you need training but can't get in there....That is the road we'd head down if'n training was required. You've seen the liberal mindset about "reasonable" gun laws.

As mentioned, even a pamphlet would be something. Reviewing basic firearms safety, applicable laws and maybe advising further training.

You can't legislate knowledge, and mandated training could conceivebly be a 'slippery slope'.

I've been through state required classes in Nevada and Oregon, and Federal certification (pre-Homeland Security). As well as various private training in various methods, platforms and disciplines. This doesn't make me Super-Gunner, or an expert. But it did reveal how ill prepared I was without training and an understanding of laws concerning firearms and use of lethal force. I've seen a fair percentage of people in these classes, myself included, learn significant and critical things. Legal, tactical and practicle.
I've also seen two wash out on the range, and judging from their attitude in the class, I wasn't suprised. In one a guy could'nt stop turning around and covering everybody behind the firing line with his pistol (finger on the trigger). Another time, the guy on my right managed to shoot the partition on his right. To make it worse all guns were supposed to be unloaded and out of battery, as we all had our hearing protection off and were receiving instruction for the next drill.
Even though I was raised with guns and hunting, simply knowing how to shoot is'nt enough.
Just strapping a gun on and crying out SECOND AMENDEMENT!, does not make you safe or effective.

Why not a NRA backed, hunters safety style, self defense course? Not pass/fail, just these are some things you need to know.

I'm sorry but if my mag fell out, then I clearly didn't 'shake down' my CC rig enough. If in fact he wasn't sitting there playing with his gun, which is just as likely, then this is either a technique or gear issue. These issues should be addressed before actual public use. If it happens more than once, it's irresponsible.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads