JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just got done watching that and used the link to write congress. I also wrote to house majority John Boehner and asked him to not let it get to a vote. I think we all should be writing every day to these people.

Here's my letter:
As my duly elected representatives in the United States government, I urge you to vote "NO" on ANY bill that would further erode any of my constitutional rights as a law-abiding citizen- including those that deprive me of my second amendment rights.

Regarding any particular magazine ban: those who would ignore the law with the immoral use of any firearm will ignore this one as well, and it only serves to erode the second amendment rights of law-abiding citizens at only a slightly slower rate than other arbitrary and more onerous firearm bans would.

Regarding upcoming "Assault Weapons ban" proposals: As the US military defines them, "assault weapons" (rifles firing an intermediate cartridge that are capable of fully automatic or burst fire) have already been heavily regulated since 1934, and are virtually out of the financial reach of the vast majority of average citizens such as myself. Additionally, it is already illegal under myriad laws to "assault" another person using ANY "weapon" be it an inanimate mechanical device or any other means. A law-breaker, by definition, will not be deterred or restricted by additional statutes that will only constrain those who do respect the law, and our founding fathers have already accounted for those who deem themselves to be outside of the law.

So what purpose does it serve to punish those of us who already abide by the rule of law? Depriving millions of fellow Americans of their constitutionally guaranteed right to keep and bear arms will only serve to make us, and our loved ones, easy prey for those who have no regard for the thousands of laws already in effect. All of the latest high-profile mass murders that have taken place lately have occurred in so-called "gun-free zones" that virtually guaranteed that those who did such great harm to our children did so without fear of resistance. In these cases, the law-abiding citizens obeyed the local gun prohibition laws and paid the ultimate price for it- I thank God your loved one wasn't among those left with no defense against such a madman, and I grieve for those who were. Rather than strip us of the right to protect ourselves or our loved ones, I urge you to stop the expansion of where we cannot exercise that right of self-protection. Once criminals realize there is no "safe" place for them to commit unspeakable acts, I contend that the incidence of those acts will diminish dramatically (and please don't patronize us with assurances that the police are always there to protect us- we have all seen ample evidence to the contrary).

You may argue that once all guns are outlawed, we will live in a peaceful society free of gun violence- and I sincerely wish it was possible, but I submit to you that Mexico has had some of the strictest gun laws in the western hemisphere since the 1960s (with only one legal gun retailer yet remaining in the entire nation), yet thousands of Mexican citizens have been murdered and maimed in recent years by those with no apparent conscience and clearly no concern for Mexico's laws. Why would the United States be any different under similar restrictive conditions? Do NOT leave us with little to no means of protecting ourselves from those who have no concern for either the rule of law or their fellow man.

I, and all of your law-abiding constituents, deserve assurance that you will carefully consider the solemn oath of office which you took upon your installment to the office of which we elected you, which contains variations on the phrase that you swear to uphold and protect the Constitution of the United States. That means ALL of it- even the part of it that states that "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Respectfully yours,
(me)

It's time to stand up and make sure our representatives hear the wishes of their constituents loud and clear.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews