JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Since I wanted a pack that was in between the standard "Assault/3-day patrol packs" and the "buttpacks/waist pack/lumbar pack" sizes... I looked through my fabrics drawer and found some Tri-Color DCU material in 1000D Cordura....and went and got the tan webbing straps and some other things...made some rough measurements, and whipped up a modernized MOLLE version of the classic Boy Scouts Yucca pack.
Dimensions of base pack;
12" tall
9" wide
5" deep
MOLLE slotting is as follows;
12x9 panel; 6 rows and 6 slots
12x5 panels, 6 rows, 3 slots
9x5 panel (bottom), 3 rows, 4 slots.

It is a little bit bigger than the Recon butt pack, but more versatile and flexible owing to having 4 panels of MOLLE with which to attach MOLLE equipment to.

Clean pack, with flap over

Side view of clean pack

Bottom of pack, the MOLLE is for attachment of compression straps for gear, OR a MOLLE waist pack.

Back of pack, without shoulder straps. 4 D-rings to attach straps to, or to lash pack to whatever you want to lash it to.

Stuffed with T-shirts. it was laundry day for me...

Overlapping "ear" flaps, for keeping most of the weather out

Flap moved out of the way, showing full panel

With 3 Coyote Brown pouches, 2 DCU canteen covers, stuff sack with sleeping bag and coleman inflatable bed roll all attached.

Showing the canteens, and the USGI LC-2 pack straps

Comparison picture of pack without stuff sack and bed roll, next to a Recon pack. MOLLE Ka-Bar adapter used to mount small bowie knife sheath to upper utility pouch, and shotgun ammo box pouch on side

Detail of side, showing how the CB pouches effectively double the volume of the small pack..

detail shot of the black shotgun ammo pouch's attachment..since it is an LC type with belt loop, I used another MOLLE ALICE/M1910 Adapter on the side MOLLE.

With green stuff sack mounted under the flap, next to the small Recon pack.

Next to my large green hiking backpack that I made for myself.

Hope you guys enjoyed this post!

Gear kit load is as follows as of today;
Main compartment;
1 pair of BDU style pants
1 long sleeve Polyester jersey shirt
1 acrylic fleece shirt
2 pairs of socks
1 pair of underwear

Top Coyote brown utility pouch (wide one);
4 tarp stakes
4 6' lengths of guy lines
1 deodorant stick
camp soap
fork
spoon
4 granola bars
Lower Right Coyote Brown utility pouch
2 packets of Idahoan Instant Taters
1 packet of Tyson Foil packed chicken
1 packet of Wise Food company's dehydrated pasta entree
1 packet of Uncle Ben's rice
2 packets of hot chocolate
Lower Left Coyote Brown utility pouch
Individual First Aid Kit; my own mix of items I use most of the time and items I am trained in.
Black shotgun ammo pouch;
small bat-wing tarp, it is silnylon and in grayish green camo..it is approximately 9 feet long ridge line with a 7 feet wide corner to corner width; I usually use this with a hammock, but can use it as a ground based shelter. I might look into getting either a Coyote or DCU USGI MOLLE Waist Pack, and a belt pad so that I can put the Kelty topquilt into the bottom and use the top for the sleep pad.
Not shown in the pics, an IDF small revolver round pouch thats holding my compass and small LED light.
Obviously, I also have a knife attached to the pack.

DSCN2170_zps444f1049.jpg DSCN2171_zps37c83388.jpg DSCN2172_zps1311b58f.jpg DSCN2173_zps45cda4ba.jpg DSCN2174_zps6187e127.jpg DSCN2175_zpsdc7f12ea.jpg DSCN2176_zps50794b2e.jpg DSCN2178_zpsd925b8b3.jpg DSCN2177_zpsac3ca021.jpg DSCN2179_zps9429d475.jpg DSCN2180_zpsea60c00c.jpg DSCN2181_zpsf6a296b1.jpg DSCN2182_zps5770f0b9.jpg DSCN2183_zps08402f25.jpg

Last Edited:
Are you open to recommendations? I think a cover of camouflage over your pack and gear would give you greater concealment. Set up in colors for where you are but also thinking about where you are going. When you travel people see color or movement, it's really good to blend in.o_O

Are you open to recommendations? I think a cover of camouflage over your pack and gear would give you greater concealment. Set up in colors for where you are but also thinking about where you are going. When you travel people see color or movement, it's really good to blend in.o_O
yea thats a plan eventually..or use a garbage bag..

Very professional, Camo! Do you have your delicates in sealable plastic?

MOLLE Yucca! Sounds like Sacajawea's girl friend!;)
i do have plastic bags to use if needed :)

Some more set ups, and gear laid out!

with ALICE Buttpack holding my Kelty topquilt.

Woodland Camo USGI MOLLE Sustainment Pouch in place of the three coyote brown pouches.

On Coleman PEAK 1 frame

On ALICE frame.

Stuff laid out.
All this kit can fit the entire pack and its 3 Coyote brown pouches, black pouch, IDF small pouch, two canteen covers...and the Buttpack. the sleep pad is obviously rolled up and under the flap when packed..This gives me around 3-4 days of food and clothes, I just need to add more water, or a water filter to enable going 3 days with the two 1-qt canteens.

DSCN2184_zps0ca5c65a.jpg DSCN2185_zpsb41ff492.jpg DSCN2188_zpsf144a7a2.jpg DSCN2189_zps9b5e10a6.jpg DSCN2196_zps569f88ba.jpg DSCN2197_zps431ff98a.jpg DSCN2187_zps2f2c9335.jpg

I must have missed where you showed that knife off and told us what it was:rolleyes:
oh, its a 70s, maybe 60s 4.5" carbon steel bladed bowie shaped knife from Imperial. (Think it was before it became Imperial Schrade or something like that), marked Providence, R.I. I picked it up in a pawn store I think for relatively cheap :) I don't tend to show off knife/blades in this forum though lol

Major coolness factor and craftmenship on making that bag OP! :cool: In a more urban environment, I don;t think that would work though. It's big, camo, and attracts a lot of unwanted attention IMO.

My ideal get home bag (48 hour bag at most) would a simple and very common Jansport because it would not be out of place in Portland:

unique vintage green jansport backpack-t16076.jpg

Inside would be:

LifeStraw
Small LED Flashlight
Bic Lighter + 5 firestarters
Small first aid kit (rubbing alcohol, scissors, gauze, bandages, antibiotic ointment)
3 Mountain House packages
3 Power Bars
1 package of trail nuts
Ruger LCR .22
100 rounds of ammunition
Emergency blanket
Fixed blade knife
Twine

Major coolness factor and craftmenship on making that bag OP! :cool: In a more urban environment, I don;t think that would work though. It's big, camo, and attracts a lot of unwanted attention IMO.
It isn't big. it is only 9x5x12; or slightly smaller than a normal Jansports. The extra pouches and stuff though, does increase the size of it....Out here in my AO; many people use ALICE packs, ACU equipment, or civilian hiking bags...a good number of the homeless have military bags, along with camo equipment, possibly based on military designs.
I however do have a slightly larger, 12x17 travel tote that is in bright red, for more urban situations...and a normal sized small duffel bag for similar situations.

Nice post. I just got my machine set back up in my new shop. Now to decide what I need to build next.
What machine? I just hand sewed a pull over from a wool blanket (pictures after Santa brings me a camera) and thought it would save mucho time with a machine.

Hey Camo,doesn't matter if it's good or bad for urban environment,you took the initiative to put it together.:s0151:

Some need to bring a negative attitude to the thread when one did a cool project like this.Had an aunt like that

Nice skills!! I don't have a sewing machine stout enough to stitch webbing like that (or enough time) to craft my own, so I have to be happy with my woodland camo small ALICE pack (w/o frame) that I keep in the work van for my GHB. I keep cans of tuna as the main food source as it's one of the best protein/energy bangs for the buck IMHO.

What machine? I just hand sewed a pull over from a wool blanket (pictures after Santa brings me a camera) and thought it would save mucho time with a machine.

Hey Camo,doesn't matter if it's good or bad for urban environment,you took the initiative to put it together.:s0151:

Some need to bring a negative attitude to the thread when one did a cool project like this.Had an aunt like that
Thanks! :) I myself use a 1960s Singer 328K sewing machine. It's a heavy duty home machine, not necessarily "Industrial" but compared to the 90s plastic geared Singer I had, it is heavier duty!

Nice skills!! I don't have a sewing machine stout enough to stitch webbing like that (or enough time) to craft my own, so I have to be happy with my woodland camo small ALICE pack (w/o frame) that I keep in the work van for my GHB. I keep cans of tuna as the main food source as it's one of the best protein/energy bangs for the buck IMHO.

Tuna huh? I've found that peanuts, raisins and M&Ms give me a great caloric count for the weight....along with candy bars...however, I usually have that in my pants pockets instead of the pack.... Rice and the foil packed chicken also gives me a decent amount of calories for their weight, as well as the freeze dried entrees, in which I only need to boil water then add water.

Just watch the sugar and salt contents.Salt mostly in winter cause you'll need it when sweating hard in summer. But there are better ways to get calories than sugar,especially for long term

Just watch the sugar and salt contents.Salt mostly in winter cause you'll need it when sweating hard in summer. But there are better ways to get calories than sugar,especially for long term
Right, That's also why I only have maybe 2 bars of candy in my pockets, I usually pack more granola bars than candy.... Thanks for the heads up on the winter salt thing! :) Winters here though is mostly rainy/wet.... thats also why I don't have as much winter clothing as some people do....I've been thinking about getting a food dehydrator unit for myself so I can make my own freezer bag meals....

I have a Juki LU-562. It is a commercial machine with a 1/3 hp motor. I picked it up second hand at a local sewing store fully refurbished.

This is not mine, no pic of it right now, so I stole this one off the net.

juki%20lu563.JPG

I have not been on the site for a while, not since the update, but here is one of the goto sites for tac sewing, http://www.diytactical.com/blog/

I paid much more then $400, but it was fully referred, with limited warranty and motor/table. I had looked at a few other similar machines but by the time I got all the parts I would have been close in price. Being my first machine I wanted to buy where I knew I could get answers if I had problems.

This was a popular contender at the time, http://www.sewinggold.com/TT111-155.html not sure what is currently out there though. I did find some good deals on CL, if I had known what I was looking at. What was a "good deal" could have easily cost more if it had problems and I needed to take it in to get fixed......

I really like my machine but if/when I do it again I would spend the money for the servo motor vs clutch. I would also look for one with a bit higher foot. At 3-4 layers of webbing it gets tight for space.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top