JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I put together 4 stands last fall. Mix of PVC for the base with 2x2 uprights.

Got some cheap plastic poster sign material from the home center and staple my targets to it.

To keep them from tipping over I drilled some holes in the PVC base and just spike 'em in place. They break down into small enough pieces that I can tote them in an oversized duffle/drag bag.

02%20Target%20Stand_zpsrn0jtehu.jpg

I had thought about using PVC, but then I saw what one of our local ranges had done. They had stretched Chicken Wire between two metal fence posts and hung targets on it with wooden cloths pins.:D

The materials are relatively cheap and you can roll the whole thing up and take it with you.:)

No fair shooting the cloths pins though. :rolleyes:

I put together 4 stands last fall. Mix of PVC for the base with 2x2 uprights.

Got some cheap plastic poster sign material from the home center and staple my targets to it.

To keep them from tipping over I drilled some holes in the PVC base and just spike 'em in place. They break down into small enough pieces that I can tote them in an oversized duffle/drag bag.

View attachment 455054
This is how I make mine. ^^^
No glue required which makes for easy repairs if needed and they take down flat for travel.
(1) 10' stick of 1-1/2" PVC
Cut (6) pcs @ 16"
Leftover piece is 24" long which makes the cross member.
(4) 1-1/2" Tees
(2) 1x2's 4' - 6' long
Target backboard width is 27" (I use corrugated cardboard and stick reactive targets to that).

Edit:
(4) of the large size paper clasps are large enough to grab over 1x2's and cardboard to hold the backboard.
This makes for easy set up and takedown.
The whole thing is material efficient and easy to build.

Last Edited:
About twenty bucks for two of these, and I make two at a time. 1 1/2" PVC pipe cut into 19" sections, with two leftover 3" pieces (I cut the pipe in half to get them in my car, so they don't have to be exact.) Cheap 1x2 furring strip, also cut in half to fit in your car. Fittings as you see. No glue. All but the wood strips fit in a small duffel bag. Staple a piece of cardboard to the verticals and you're in tall cotton. I carry a couple spare fittings and a spare 19" section for when someone puts too many holes in the pipe.

20161019_140653.jpg

I have made two of them, about 3 years ago. They hold up well and both stands (less cardboard and wood stakes and targets) fit in a small duffel bag. Grandson busted a couple of the wood stakes, the rest is pretty much unscathed. if the wind is blowing, a couple of large rocks anchors well.

I use 1" x 2" stakes and the large binder clips to hold the cardboard, then tacks to pin the target.

This was really easy to build and I would encourage anyone who shoots outdoors to build one. The hardest part was smelling the fumes from the glue, but it was actually really fun and satisfying to build.

I am trying to think of other things I could build out of pvc, if I could get the pvc for a good price I would make these and sell them!

I think if you look at you tube you will find plenty of these frames being made for cheap, and I'm afraid since the plans such as they are are free for the taking, I rather doubt you would sell very many of them. Just as soon as your buyer sees them, he'll think to himself, crap I can make that!
Make some for yourself to use, and see if anyone seeing them asks you to make some for them, then go from there.

If you don't glue the joints but just use friction to hold it together, it is a simple matter to break it down for travel, or to replace a damaged part.
Simply mark the joints so you know what goes where.
I've made a real simple frame from 1/2" PVC, a couple T's, a couple 90's some tape and cardboard to stick Shoot N See targets on, very light and portable nothing is glued.
I had parts left from PVC dog jumps, so I basically made it for nothing,
Stands about 3' high X 2' wide, the 2 T's mount 1 1/2' pipes front and rear for feet, and that's it. If you want it a little stiffer get 4 way T's and put a cross brace to hold the legs together across the bottom.
Get fancy and make some big staples from some stiff wire to anchor it if it's windy, or just pile some rocks or sand bags on the feet.
I'm cheap I cut the legs out of my old jeans, 2 zip ties and some sand or dirt and you are good to go!
4 to 6 bags from one pair.
Have fun, :D
Gabby

Red,
If you don't glue the uprights, you can take it apart so it all lays flat for transportation.

Another trick I learned was to fill the bottom part with sand and glue the caps,
to help keep it from blowing over.

I made one from 1" PVC scrap I had laying around. I just made 2 T's with the cross bar to act as the foot the bottom end of the T is now the top. I used a suitable piece of pipe as a connecting cross bar and suspended one of those old campaign road signs as a backer to stick targets on, I used Gorilla Tape and it works like a hinge so it can move with the wind. I didn't glue the cross bar so I can take it apart fore storage / transportation, whole thing will lay flat in 3 pieces.
The part that is now the bases forming the inverted T's is made up of 3 pieces of tubing, with at pipe T in the middle and end caps to hold the sand in.
This may be just confusing so I need to draw up a plan and attach it here if possible. But the top ends have elbows aimed so that they will hold the cross bar suspended.
Clear as mud? :rolleyes:o_O
LOL Gabby

Here's one for about $35 bucks, +/-. It's made by @HatPointTarget , out of Oregon City. It's all polymer plastic, withstands bullet holes and is really light weight. I have one and really like it.

View attachment 454607

View attachment 454608

No dog in the fight, just like the idea, the flexibility and convenience of it.
The metal stands are much better, IMO. One "Miss" from a .22LR and you could be out $33.00!

The metal stands are much better, IMO. One "Miss" from a .22LR and you could be out $33.00!
Actually, the Polymer plastic material doesn't shatter. It's kind of soft, not like a PVC. They take a bullet and keep on standing. The builder has put many different calibers through it and it's still in good usable shape. Same with his upright 1x2's. I just use wood 1x2's, but he makes them in the Polymer material too.

The big benefit is the weight. If you're carrying a heavy steel stand out over 100 yards, this is a good alternative. Long distance shooters love em. Strap them to your backpack and it's a piece of cake.

Here's how you do it from one 10 foot stick of 1-1/2" PVC !
1st-P80-Mag-Off-Bench.png

Left side pieces :
16"
16"
16"
2ea/1-1/2" Tees

Right side pieces :
16"
16"
16"
2ea/1-1/2" Tees

Center cross member :
The "drop" which is 24"
Cut cardboard backer 27" wide

Do not glue !

/the end

Here's how you do it from one 10 foot stick of 1-1/2" PVC !
View attachment 605472

Left side pieces :
16"
16"
16"
2ea/1-1/2" Tees

Right side pieces :
16"
16"
16"
2ea/1-1/2" Tees

Center cross member :
The "drop" which is 24"
Cut cardboard backer 27" wide

Do not glue !

/the end
Pretty nice and simple, Direct! If you hit the PVC with a bullet, then you need MORE practice and sight adjustments!

I take both short and long sticks to keep the target low when needed. Most places don't often have a high earthen berm backstop, so, keep the target low enough so you're not shooting over the berm.

This is a simple and low cost build and I like it. Especially how it breaks down for less space when transporting.

Actually, the Polymer plastic material doesn't shatter. It's kind of soft, not like a PVC. They take a bullet and keep on standing. The builder has put many different calibers through it and it's still in good usable shape. Same with his upright 1x2's. I just use wood 1x2's, but he makes them in the Polymer material too.

The big benefit is the weight. If you're carrying a heavy steel stand out over 100 yards, this is a good alternative. Long distance shooters love em. Strap them to your backpack and it's a piece of cake.
The thread is titled PVC and that does Shatter, so...

The thread is titled PVC and that does Shatter, so...
PVC definitely shatters.
That's why we make our spudguns out of ABS.
Don't want PVC shrapnel hitting family jewels.

Confucius Say :
If shooting up PVC target stands, then Grasshopper have other issues

I have good spudgun dimensions developed over many years.
PM for info.

I accidentally hit the side vertical with a 9mm knocked it right in 2. I used 1/2" PVC & I had the next size larger 1" PVC and cut a short piece for a splice.
I had to use my heat gun to soften it and forced the broken pieces into it, making sure the elbow was faced the right way. When it cools it shrinks and holds the broken pieces as a great splint, works a charm and this is the only time I've ever broken it.
Even as shaky as I am I normally keep all the shots on the paper and off the plastic. :rolleyes:
All that being said, I'll bet that schedule 40 or 80 ABS would hold up a lot better. I'd rather make my own than pay S&H on something I can buy and make from my local building center in my home town. Rather from someone clear across the country, that I don't know. o_O
I'm all for good old fashioned Yankee ingenuity! :D
Support your local businesses whenever possible, they will stay open for you that way. Especially if you live in Podunk little town like I do and its 35 miles each way or more to the next town that may have what is needed, I speak from experience! :D
Gabby

Last Edited:
I made some much like some of the others here. I don't cap the ends of the bottom section as it saves a few nickles not buying the caps and it allows me to slide in 3-foot sections of rebar if I need weight because of wind.

I glue the bottom section together since it makes it easier to stack and move around the range (you don't have sections coming undone all the time) but is does make them take up more room.

I don't have a cross bar across the back of the "ground section" because when using short targets I don't have to worry about a low hit striking the cross bar.

I sized these to make the outside to outside distance across the inside edges of the upright tubes at 18.25 inches. This way I can drop in the 1x2 wood post and binder clip (or staple) NRA D-1, IPSC or IDPA silhouettes and have the posts pretty much perfectly upright. To do this the cross bar needs to be 13 inches with the elbows I used. Different elbows might take a bit more or less, depending on the depth of the socket and the size of the sweep.

The remaining pieces are 16-inches in length. This leaves a small section that I use for the low targets. I hope this is valuable for someone.

20190903_194042.jpg 20190918_151853.jpg

Last Edited:
I made some much like some of the others here. I don't cap the ends of the bottom section as it saves a few nickles not buying the caps and it allows me to slide in 3-foot sections of rebar if I need weight because of wind.

I glue the bottom section together since it makes it easier to stack and move around the range (you don't have sections coming undone all the time) but is does make them take up more room.

I don't have a cross bar across the back of the "ground section" because when using short targets I don't have to worry about a low hit striking the cross bar.

I sized these to make the outside to outside distance across the inside edges of the upright tubes at 18.25 inches. This way I can drop in the 1x2 wood post and binder clip (or staple) NRA D-1, IPSC or IDPA silhouettes and have the posts pretty much perfectly upright. To do this the cross bar needs to be 13 inches with the elbows I used. Different elbows might take a bit more or less, depending on the depth of the socket and the size of the sweep.

The remaining pieces are 16-inches in length. This leaves a small section that I use for the low targets. I hope this is valuable for someone.

Nice, I like the idea of being able to put a metal rod in them for extra stability if and when needed.

I usedcheap 1" PVC to build mine
I tries making a stand but wind in the shooting area made the target act like a sail. Easiest way around that was driving rebar stakes into the ground and sliding the pvc pipe over the stakes. That gave a rock solid stand that won't blow away. 1" PVC pipe is cheap so its easy to quickly replace the pieces that get blown apart by my deadeye pals. Keep a bag of Tees and Ells along with a set of those hand clippers for pipe and a few 10 ft pieces of pipe for repairs and you are GTG. Use cable ties to mount your cardboard target backing and go have FUN!!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top