Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

machining K baffles

Discussion in 'NFA Weapon Discussion' started by idahoan, Dec 23, 2013.

1. idahoan

idahoan Boise, Idaho Active Member

Has anyone machined k baffles from 304 stainless?

2. PDXSparky

PDXSparky Keizer / Hillsboro Well-Known Member

KalamaMark and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Ranb

Ranb Belfair, WA Active Member

4. Doc In UPlace

Doc In UPlace Tacoma-ish Well-Known Member

Cool video, RanB, for a self-taught guy it looks like you've figured it out. Baffle looks like the real deal.

5. Ranb

Ranb Belfair, WA Active Member

They are real and they are good, but since I lack the proper meter/mic, I don't know if they're real good. :)

Ranb

6. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

I would not recommend 304 for this application unless you have good carbide tools, and a decently powerful lathe 303 will give better results and is easier to machine. Depending on what your application is (rifle suppressor obviously) I would say try 440F (free machining) stainless, as it is tougher and will return a better product with less effort than 304, however if you're up for the challenge and want the best possible materials, try 316Ti, which is a heat tolerant grade of 316, a very corrosion resistant alloy.

Depending on your caliber requirements, I think an omega baffle works better for rifles, this type seem to work best for rifle and have the greatest amount of suppression with the least amount of weight. I've seen a number of variations on them, and most work pretty well.

7. idahoan

idahoan Boise, Idaho Active Member

sorry for the delay, holidays and such, thanks for the video, I'm not against going with another stainless but 304 is what I have right now and its free.