JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
From how I understand it, that USED to be ok. But now....it has to be done from home with your personal tools otherwise your employer becomes a manufacturer. I could be wrong here.

I bet there are exactly zero cases of the ATF throwing people in jail for working on home built guns while at their place of employment. But technically I think Kruejl is right, you are supposed to own the equipment.

If you talk to the shop owner, make them completely aware, and they say "OK" then have at it.
Don't do it otherwise, that would be uncool.
There's a difference between using shop tools after hours when it's enhancing your abilities, a whole 'nuther thing when you are doing something that could put them in crosshairs. That would be even lower than using their tooling to make parts for competitors or to sell yourself. (I've known people who did that...).

I'd definitely be up front about it. As for just buying the router, drill press, jigs etc I actually already have a router, drill press, etc but they're not very great and a mill would make things easier. But something else is that calling the kits I have 80% is generous to say the least, more like 20%. I have an AR15 and an AR10 weld together steel flat from theflatspot.net and while I do have a decent mig welder at home that would work they would turn out a whole heck of a lot nicer if I tig welded it which I don't have..

Last Edited:
I'd definitely be up front about it. As for just buying the router, drill press, jigs etc I actually already have a router, drill press, etc but they're not very great and a mill would make things easier. But something else is that calling the kits I have 80% is generous to say the least, more like 20%. I have an AR15 and an AR10 weld together steel flat from theflatspot.net and while I do a have decent mig welder at home that would work they would turn out a whole heck of a lot nicer if I tig welded it which I don't have..
Yup, that's definitely TIG work. I've been considering picking a few of those up and sticking one together with everdur. Thought it might look cool.

But in all seriousness (in addition to my sarcasm up there) - it's a great reason to own a drill press and a router. I bought those two tools for my shop specifically for 80%'ers and have used them on so many other peojects. I shop CL for tools, got my router and drill press for around $100 together.

A man should never pass up an excuse to buy yet one more tool, else he runs the risk of producing estrogen and having to sit while he pees. Hog out your 80% lower at home - it's so easy, even an @Caveman Jim can do it.

I'd definitely be up front about it. As for just buying the router, drill press, jigs etc I actually already have a router, drill press, etc but they're not very great and a mill would make things easier. But something else is that calling the kits I have 80% is generous to say the least, more like 20%. I have an AR15 and an AR10 weld together steel flat from theflatspot.net and while I do have a decent mig welder at home that would work they would turn out a whole heck of a lot nicer if I tig welded it which I don't have..
I am planning to do it at home just to be safe.

A man should never pass up an excuse to buy yet one more tool, else he runs the risk of producing estrogen and having to sit while he pees. Hog out your 80% lower at home - it's so easy, even an @Caveman Jim can do it.
Hell, I hogged out a poly freehand with just a jig and cordless drill! Think next time I'll get a drill-press vise or similar first, though...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top