Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

machine shop/ customizing question

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by ohsocountry1, Jul 19, 2010.

1. ohsocountry1

ohsocountry1 clackamas oregon Member

I am pretty new to customizing guns and I work at a machine shop with every tool imaginable and was wondering if there was anything I could customize myself. Like I saw a slide with 3 holes in the top I was wondering what that was for? Any help thanks all. Maybe if it works on mine I can customize stuff for others for free I just love meeting people and doing machining.

2. numbnutz

numbnutz molalla Active Member

The three holes on the top are most likely what's called porting and can be done on a pistol or rifle. It helps with muzzle rise, the gases escape from those holes and push the muzzle down.

I'm not a machinist so I don't know how hard it is but I'm sure alot of members would take you up on the offer.

3. ohsocountry1

I know im dumb but be nice are those holes in the barrel also?

4. numbnutz

numbnutz molalla Active Member

Don't be so hard on yourself, asking questions is the only way your going to learn. Yes they are in the barrel as well.

5. ohsocountry1

Anybody do this themselves? any tips considering it.

6. Phillyfan

Phillyfan Oregon City, Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I know it makes your gun a heck of a lot louder, but I haven't ever done it to any of my guns. Just seen others and read about it.

7. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

I've ported some barrels before. Use a digital readout and take your time. Look at lots of options before starting the project, and find the one that you like the best.

Porting is best done on a range gun. It's generally not something done to carry guns, as the flash from the ports can do fun things to your night vision in low light shooting...

8. ohsocountry1

Ok do you have any pics of yours?

9. MountainBear

Closest I've got right now. There are three holes inset into the recess you see in the barrel. Remember to fill the barrel with a sulfur plug or something before drilling it so you don't have burrs in the barrel after you drill the holes...

058.jpg

10. ohsocountry1

Ok nice thank you I appreciate it! Any other ideas anyone of custom things I can do ?

11. MountainBear

It really depends on what kinds of pistols you are customizing.

12. huntpotter

huntpotter SW WA Negotiator Bronze Supporter

You can thread barrels, for muzzle breaks, or flash hiders.

You can tig weld up broken pieces, then machine them back to spec.

You can cut dovetails in slides for sights.

You can drill and tap receivers for scope mounts.

That's just a few basic mill and lathe functions, that gunsmiths do.

Some people machine their own receivers from billets. But you might need a manufacturer's FFL to be doing that regularly.

What guns do you personally have, that I might be able to suggest projects, that you could do.

13. Tilos

Tilos Idaho Active Member

With all due respect to the OP, much more is needed to work on firearms than "having access to machinery and every tool imaginable".
    I would think long and hard before clamping up a firearm/revolver in a milling machine were I work.
    Just doing that, could cost you your job if someone finds it offensive in some way and there is no way to know, until it's too late.
    Just Sayin'
    Tilos

14. ohsocountry1

The shop is just the boss and I His dad was a gunsmith he grew up around it and also grew up around machining so I would do nothing without him there. I totally understand were your coming from. With machining its dangerous enough not to mention adding a FIREARM.

15. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Ardenwald, OR Well-Known Member

Two things to consider, the legal liability you assume when you work on someone's fire arm. Technically you need a FFL to work on fire arms. As a gunsmith well log in and log out every fire arm that comes in the shop.

16. MountainBear

It's not quite that black and white. There are loopholes, but if you are going to work on other people's toys and taking payment for it, then yeah, you need an FFL.

You don't need one to work on your own. Just make sure whatever you do machining wise, just leave the manufacturer and serial number markings alone.

17. ohsocountry1

18. MountainBear

No one disrespected you or your thread. They simply raised some legal questions directly related to the work you are thinking about doing. It may not be what you originally thought about, but it is related. People are just trying to help you. If you don't want the help, don't ask. But threads tend to bring up points other people want to know or things the OP didn't think of, but are worth bringing up anyway. Both licenses and what markings can and cannot be removed are both very relevant to your plans. For instance, a lot of gunsmiths like to clean up guns. Things like removing warnings (like on Rugers) or import markings (like on the dust cover of the RIA 1911's).

19. ohsocountry1

I do want the help...with my question. I understand totally what your saying just frustrating when everytime you ask a question on a site 9 out of 10 responses arent answering your question.

20. MountainBear

Several people chimed in and gave you answers to your questions. Then they tried to point out some relevant facts that applied to your situation. Our apologies for trying to point out legalities of what you were asking how to do. I'll move on...