JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Good day all, I was interested in buying a machine gun in oregon from a private party. I am aware that i need to do the $200 federal tax transfer with my local sheriffs dept, and that the paperwork can take a few weeks?. But what can i do to make the money exchange safe and without complications, before the m.g. owner can legally hand over the m.g.to me. ( I am assuming that the private party owner, keeps the m.g. till my background check and paperwork clears?).. is it normal/ acceptable,, to just leave a good deposit with the private party?( I just would not feel comfortable to hand someone 10,000 to 20,000 dollars and they still keep the gun till i cleared..thnxs..

In my experience, most transactions are done with all money up front and then paperwork is done.

You could use a third party as an escrow type of service.

I could even do that for you if it is local.

You must be really trusting.

Get references when in doubt. Find out if he/she has sold guns in the past and talk to those ppl.

:s0155:

Meet with the seller and test-fire the gun before you buy.
The transfer is through the ATF. The Sheriff only signs off on the Form 4
The transfer will take 4-5 months.
You will need to pay at least 1/2 the price of the MG if not the whole price.
Some sellers will allow a small deposit.(I would recommend this)
The MG will stay with the seller until there is an approved Form 4 naming you as the owner.

I would recommend calling Oregon Research Labs LLC to go over the process before you buy.
http://www.orl-llc.com/
Pat (the owner) is very helpful. He is also a member of this forum (PCArms)

All of my MG purchases in the last 9 years have been 50% down, then the other 50% upon delivery with the MG. When I sell them it is the same, the exception is if the seller want 100% up front it should be reflected in the price (Cheaper).
I sent $6800. to PA for my first transfer , to a guy who I didn't know:s0131: , Check around with a local FFL , Most guys into this have one that can vouch for them.
Do, your research on anyone whom you are going to send money to, and don't get scammed.
You can get the S# from them and call the BATF&E to check on it to make sure it is still registered to them - I have canceled tax stamps that look just like the valid ones- At least you know it belongs to them.
Try not to get to greedy and want it right away -yes the first one is exciting- it will take a bit but don't pay to much, DO YOUR RESEARCH on fair market value, I have sold a few to newbies at a lower price just because it was there first.
My .02
NoHair

All of my MG purchases in the last 9 years have been 50% down, then the other 50% upon delivery with the MG. When I sell them it is the same, the exception is if the seller want 100% up front it should be reflected in the price (Cheaper).
I sent $6800. to PA for my first transfer , to a guy who I didn't know:s0131: , Check around with a local FFL , Most guys into this have one that can vouch for them.
Do, your research on anyone whom you are going to send money to, and don't get scammed.
You can get the S# from them and call the BATF&E to check on it to make sure it is still registered to them - I have canceled tax stamps that look just like the valid ones- At least you know it belongs to them.
Try not to get to greedy and want it right away -yes the first one is exciting- it will take a bit but don't pay to much, DO YOUR RESEARCH on fair market value, I have sold a few to newbies at a lower price just because it was there first.
My .02
NoHair

+1

Completely agree with Nohair,

Get references and do lots of research.

My first Machine gun was really scarry, 13k to a guy I never met in person. I did call and talk with him and his ffl. I also spoke with other ppl he sold guns to. It is a big decision, but well worth it once you get going.

:s0155:

In my experience, 100% up front is ONLY when you are dealing with a long-time REPUTABLE (and not all of them are!) licensed dealer.

Paying 100% up front to anyone else, you run the risk of lack of motivation for a timely transaction. He already has all your money so why should he rush?

The Form 4 process (especially when the paperwork is being done by someone of little experience) can be time-consuming and frustrating. ATF will bounce your forms back for small errors and then you have to re-submit and the clock starts over again. Highly worth the effort go get things right the first time!

I would highly recommend having a local C3 dealer "rabbi" you through the process. This does not mean transferring it to him first, as for a same-state transfer this is not necessary. But just to look over the paperwork before submission and to advise you in case of problems. Most C3 dealers will be happy to help a newcomer - its a good investment in future business after all.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top