JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A thread up above about non-gun dog defense prompts me to discuss the Mace Pepper Gun. We all probably have friends and relatives who absolutely refuse to consider carrying a gun for self defense, and we all probably wish there was a reliable less-than-lethal weapon to offer them. Well, this thing is well worthy of your inspection.

The Mace Pepper Gun is shaped and sized like a break-open snubby revolver, except that the "cylinder and barrell" are all one unit, an inch and a half in diameter. Still, it easily conceals in a front pocket. Like a snubby, it is instinctively grabbed and aimed, and much more fumble-proof than any other spray device. It is all metal, has a large and positive top-tang safety, and can be fired "double-action" from any angle--even upside down.

It also has a BLINDING focused LED light that is used to both disorient an attacker (probably bright enough to scare off a dog) AND to direct the spray like a laser sight--the spray covers where the light focuses. With the safety on only the light shines with a trigger pull. With the safety off, first the light shines and then with a further trigger pull the spray fires, and hits where the light beam shines.

Now, the big deal here is that it is POWERFUL, and does not lose pressure until the spray is exhausted. I got to practice in a windless concrete parking garage. A tightly concentrated, forceful narrow spray shoots a no-kidding twenty feet, covering about a three-foot diameter patch. This is with the water test-cartridge that is included in each package as a training tool, and it is supposed to replicate the performance of the pepper cartridge. At fifteen feet the target is bound to be immobilized by a one second shot, barring strong wind. I got six equally powerful two-second shots out of the test cartridge, which implies twelve effective one-second blasts. This is the finest pepper spray tool yet!

You can see it for sale in the Cabelas catalog for around seventy bucks if I remember right. I did a long Google search and found it for sale on many sites from forty-five dollars up to eighty-five dollars---some of those internet "personal security" sales sites have no shame or limits to their greed! I also found several items that looked exactly the same as the Mace product, as if they were made in the same factory and using Mace cartridges, but I have no idea about the quality of the other brands. All I know is that Mace designed this masterpiece of engineering, and the Mace Brand has been innovative and reliable for thirty years or more and does not cost much more than the imitators.

And, uh, yes! I do recommend you examine this thing. I carry it almost every day as a backup to my PPK. And I can carry it to the places that I can't carry a gun....................elsullo :s0155:

I did not mention that, so searchers would get their own reward! Black, blue, silver, and PINK! Not all sites sell all colors. The weight is very light, probably only eight ounces if I had to guess. It really disappears into a front pocket....................elsullo :s0155:

A thread up above about non-gun dog defense prompts me to discuss the Mace Pepper Gun. We all probably have friends and relatives who absolutely refuse to consider carrying a gun for self defense, and we all probably wish there was a reliable less-than-lethal weapon to offer them. Well, this thing is well worthy of your inspection.

The Mace Pepper Gun is shaped and sized like a break-open snubby revolver, except that the "cylinder and barrell" are all one unit, an inch and a half in diameter. Still, it easily conceals in a front pocket. Like a snubby, it is instinctively grabbed and aimed, and much more fumble-proof than any other spray device. It is all metal, has a large and positive top-tang safety, and can be fired "double-action" from any angle--even upside down.

It also has a BLINDING focused LED light that is used to both disorient an attacker (probably bright enough to scare off a dog) AND to direct the spray like a laser sight--the spray covers where the light focuses. With the safety on only the light shines with a trigger pull. With the safety off, first the light shines and then with a further trigger pull the spray fires, and hits where the light beam shines.

Now, the big deal here is that it is POWERFUL, and does not lose pressure until the spray is exhausted. I got to practice in a windless concrete parking garage. A tightly concentrated, forceful narrow spray shoots a no-kidding twenty feet, covering about a three-foot diameter patch. This is with the water test-cartridge that is included in each package as a training tool, and it is supposed to replicate the performance of the pepper cartridge. At fifteen feet the target is bound to be immobilized by a one second shot, barring strong wind. I got six equally powerful two-second shots out of the test cartridge, which implies twelve effective one-second blasts. This is the finest pepper spray tool yet!

You can see it for sale in the Cabelas catalog for around seventy bucks if I remember right. I did a long Google search and found it for sale on many sites from forty-five dollars up to eighty-five dollars---some of those internet "personal security" sales sites have no shame or limits to their greed! I also found several items that looked exactly the same as the Mace product, as if they were made in the same factory and using Mace cartridges, but I have no idea about the quality of the other brands. All I know is that Mace designed this masterpiece of engineering, and the Mace Brand has been innovative and reliable for thirty years or more and does not cost much more than the imitators.

And, uh, yes! I do recommend you examine this thing. I carry it almost every day as a backup to my PPK. And I can carry it to the places that I can't carry a gun....................elsullo :s0155:

REPLY:

After taking a self defense course and confirming that you can almost never use lethal force and having a spouse whose handgun would be used against her by the bad guy, I thought that the Mace Pepper Spray Gun would be a good fumble free alternative to buy time. Well I purchased the gun from my gun dealer and even bought a 2 pack of water canisters to practice. My wife felt comfortable shooting the water canister out the door out back. She saw her range and would be comfortable using non lethal force. Well, when I carefully followed instructions and put the live pepper spray canister into the chamber carefully sliding it down and keeping finger off the trigger, we were in for a surprise. Apparently the nipple at the tip has to be seated in a slot to be ready to activate when pressed. I subsuquently learned that due to a product quality issue, the nipple was split, out of round and therefore did not seat properly. When the chamber was carefully closed, the un seated canister activated in the living room spraying and dripping out the contents. Laughs soon turned to chokes then a gagging clean up to mop up before the red dye caused permanent damage. A bit of red left on the baseboard but otherwise all is well.
I suggest that you carefully check out the nipple for cracks and splits that would cause it to be out of round when it has to fit into a round cavity at the muzzle of the gun. I will keep it, have alerted Mace of the production defect and will continue to keep in the home and my office.
btw, we also bought two wired tazers that we also will have for backup as a first line before lethat force. Many of my gun friends discourage this, but a non regular gun user will pause and the gun will likely be a weapon against us. Just be careful with mace gun. practice with the water and load outside.

REPLY:

After taking a self defense course and confirming that you can almost never use lethal force and having a spouse whose handgun would be used against her by the bad guy

That is certainly news to real gun packers who use guns 1 to 2 million times each year to ward off felony attack, including a lot of women like my wife. Whoever gave the "self defense" course you took should be unemployed

As far as pepper spray it isn't a sure thing to stop anyone or anything and it can blow right back in your face.. for less lethal defense against 2 and 4 legged varmints we use walking sticks like the Cold Steel polymer version

I bought one of these beauties today (through Amazon), and this is definitely not your gramma's pepper spray. Very solid built, good ergonomics, and the spray is extremely powerful. I wouldn't try to hit anything 15 yards away because, unlike with a firearm, you obviously need to hit the target's face, but at a few yards, this thing is seems to work great. Very satisfying 'psssssscht' noise, too.

What would keep me from carrying these around is the fact that they do look a lot like a gun. I bought mine in blue, but it still might be mistaken for a firearm in a high-stress situation. I sure don't want to be the first guy shot by police for wielding a pepper gun.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top