JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Call it excessive geeking out on techno minutia (you might be right), but I've been trolling around the net for a decent web review of the M9 bayonet tang variations (with good pics). I want to know what version of the military-issue, wire-cutter equipped M9 has the strongest tang (Buck, Phrobis, Lan Cay, Ontario). I would love to read an article or watch a video that has good pics of the different version's tang styles and does an objective stress test comparison of these versions, maybe complete with a chart that records the stress pressures where the tangs broke while doing different tasks. Maybe that's too much to hope for, but what the hell, no harm in asking. There is one youtube video that compares the Ontario with a Smith and Wesson, but when I saw that the Smith & Wesson wire cutter pivot lug (on the scabbard) sheared off while trying to cut a nail (16 penny), I have no more interest in the S&W (the Ontario busted through 4 in a row). If there's also a similar review on the OKC10 tango blade M9, that would be very good to check out. Thanks in advance.

This doesn't help answer your question but I have an Ontario for a reason. It was priced right and didn't appear cheap.

This doesn't help answer your question but I have an Ontario for a reason. It was priced right and didn't appear cheap.

Out of curiosity, what did you end up paying for it? Also out of curiosity, most of these bayonets have fine teeth along the top edge of the blade. Every remark I've ever seen/heard about these teeth is that they are saw teeth for cutting wood. I'm pretty handy with tools and never (that is... NEVER) would I see teeth like that and think... "wood cutting". And of course, 100% of M9 "review" videos I see where the reviewer decides to "test out the saw teeth"… on wood…. ends in disappointment. These teeth are sized and shaped much more like file teeth for removing metal, which may be connected to why M9's blade steel is so hard/tough. Or maybe the designers thought to themselves that since they were going to make a knife with a tough blade anyway, why not expand the wire-cutting theme to include a file edge along the top for metal removal. This last remark is total guesswork on my part though, but I've never come across any article/video that addresses the original intent for the teeth along the top… only average dudes who simply parrot the absurdity that the M9 has wood-cutting teeth that don't work very well. So have you ever used these teeth on your M9? Have you ever tried it on metal, since it's worthless on wood anyway? I would test my theory on my own M9 (and I will), but I want to make sure I get the M9 version with the strongest tang design first. Hence this thread. Going back one step, if you wanted to check it out, the link to the M9 torture test review video I mentioned above is below. The nail cutting test starts at 13:17 minutes.

I "paid" $100 (Amazon Pricing). I actually got it new from somebody on a trade. I gave them $100 trade credit for it since it was spanking new.

Yeah the teeth are worthless for wood as they are fine and aren't really subject to being cleaned out.

The reason I decided to get this one was because the 590A1 is the shotgun that passed military specs. Why have a bayonet that didn't pass the specs????

I watched that review after I posted. Very good test. I'm surprised the S&W broke where it did and that the Ontario DIDN'T break where the S&W did.

I seem to remember seeing more of the Phrobis and Lan Cay while in the Army.
There was lots of grumbling and "Infantry Language" of the four letter kind during the switch from the M7 to the M9.
For what it is worth I like the M7 better.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top