JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Probably not until every Military unit that is authorized to have this round has an adequate supply and it's been in the system long enough to make it's first "rotation of stock".

That's not to say that some companies won't offer "clone" ammo just like with the first go round with the SS-109 bullet.

The M855A1 will probably take a long time to get into civilian hands especially with all the combat winding down in iraq. The mil isn't shooting enough of the 2 billion rounds per year we have given them over the last 5 years to make rollout of the new ammo practical. I'm sure M855A1 will probably see more use stateside initially on lead free training ranges.

You probably Wont ever be able to get the M855A1 rounds. At least until the military comes out with a new and improved round again.

That being said, you Can get the MK318 MOD 0 ammo, which is pretty close to the same thing. ok, it's different yes, but still close. the only downfall is that it is pretty spendy.

There are other suppliers, but here is one. $395.95 for 500 rounds.

http://usarmorment.com/federal-mk318-mod0-556-62-grain-sost-500-case-p-1701.html?currency=USD

Stay Safe.

I'm sure M855A1 will probably see more use stateside initially on lead free training ranges.
There are already frangible "lead free" rounds available but nobody uses them. Most of the "lead free" ranges I am in contact with merely require that the round be jacketed with no exposed lead (at least visible). More call for the CMJ bullet rather than the FMJ which most often has an exposed base.

One of our local ranges has such an intelligent owner/operator he "banned" cast bullets a couple of years ago. The rational was that the "lead" from these bullets was plugging his air filters (indoor range). Even when he was shown that the "smoke" was not from the lead, but the lube, he insisted it was lead and walked away from the conversation.

As for the civilian world seeing this ammo, we have a lot of M855 62gr ammo to work through first as it's either shot or stocks are rotated on the basis of age.

As for me, I prefer the 77gr SMK with cannelure but all my AR's have 1:7 to 1:9 barrels.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top