JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not really. Shot it at 1/2 and 3/8 with no penetration. I think you are thinking M995
The last AR500 1/2" clanger was retired because folks persisted in shooting M855 into it, despite club rule against steel penetrators. BTW, the target center was relatively free of damage.
We tested M855 vs M193 against a new AR500 plate. The M855 bullet left a dimple, the next round chewed deeper, and so on. The M193 just went splat without penetration.
Russian ammo advertises it doesn't have a penetrator, but it's composition makes it destructive to AR500.
The bullet itself attracts a magnet. It's a lead slug, wrapped in a steel shell, with a copper wash.

17 caliber and 22TCM bullets are destructive because of their high velocity. They punch through plate steel.
They are banned from our indoor range.

But there's a bigger issue.
DRRC spends $100,000 each year to repair intentional vandalism.
Club target frames are turned into toothpicks by some members.
Think about this.
Can the target be hit? How can you miss the center of a 24 inch rectangle?
Can the deer be killed cleanly with minimum meat damage?
Scares me out of the forest knowing Rambo is out there, spraying and praying.

most bargain CF ammo is a washed steel jacket over lead. I have some 1990's Chinese 9mm that would strip the rifling from most handguns. Much of the steel jacket stuff is a thin mild steel jacket, no added penetration over full copper some of the Russian stuff is almost mil-spec

Fact is most situations in normal circumstances don't require barrier busting. I am a huge fan of the 7.62 x 51. I handload the caliber and am into the G3 platform, but lugging one everywhere as a daily rifle is not an option, and they are slower into action

Fact is most situations in normal circumstances don't require barrier busting. I am a huge fan of the 7.62 x 51. I handload the caliber and am into the G3 platform, but lugging one everywhere as a daily rifle is not an option, and they are slower into action

That's the truth! I've tried lugging around my PTR-91 and that's a definite no-go...she's way too long and heavy...then the lack of a charging handle is a huge turn-off...so it's AK for me! Still farting around between my WASR-10 and my Galil...Going to try a cheek riser and a side-mount to see how she likes my ACOG before I make a decision. Iron sights offer simplicity but optics are a force multiplier...

Got any suggestions on a side mount for a WASR-10 that will allow the use of the iron sights? That thing blocks the rear sight-post like it was intentional.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top