JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Breaking in my Bushmaster I got back in December with some reman .223 that I picked up at the show today, and after about 350 rounds through it it started jamming... (Not clearing the round in the chamber and double feeding or half feeding)

THEN the trigger/safety QUIT WORKING!!!

I cleared the rifle and took it home. Cleaned it thoroughly and could not get it to work. Went at it a second time and found some brass pieces in the trigger group when i was CLR'ing it... Very small pieces, but once i got them out, I dried it out and took some compressed air to the lower receiver...

The trigger and safety appear to work now...

Anybody else have a similar experience? I sent an email to Bushmaster, but would rather not send it in as i would have to find an FFL to do that for me, so i was curious if anybody might be able to relate if this is something i should have expected, or if there is something I am missing.

I had thoroughly cleaned the rifle before shooting it, and cleaned it after the first 90 rounds.

Please keep in mind this is my first M4 & brand new rifle ( i usually have had used in the past)

if you found crud in the safty and cleaned it and it worked sounds like you fixed it strange though i have never had that problem there is a detent that goes into the safty if there was the smallest spec that got into it that would keep it from going in and out then that would be the problem there could be other issues but thats probably it

you can also check the detent itself by removing the pistol grip and taking a look at the spring and detent .

as far as stuck rds thats a bigger issue it could be the fact that its a new barrel thus the chamber is going to be tight then shooting remanufatured ammo could also be the issue since some of it may not be up to spec i have had issues with reman ammo in the past then drop in some factory and problem solved just depends on quality of the reman

there are other issues it could be such as need a o ring which would aid in the extraction that always a good thing to install as well as a H buffer if its a carbine and ,as always just enough lube too much can build up crude cause ar15s poop where they eat and too not enough lube well we know that can cause it to run rough

BTW if you are sending it back to the factory for repair you do not need a FFL you can personally send it directly to them and they will send it directly back to you that is a fact. no FFL required to return a firearm that you own back to original factory for repair. but you can not use USPS . UPS and Fed ex ok

if you bought it from a dealer you may just be able to take it back to them and have them send it back for you as well some dealers will do that and it may save you shipping as bushmaster will not refund that part of it at least they did not do that for me when they screwed up my barrel.

Thank you both for the excellent feedback! I think I probably did over-lube it, and I will be switching to factory fresh ammo until I have 1500+ rounds through it now. I have a new grip to install, so I'll take a look at the safety when I'm doing that. Wichaka, - you're in Seattle, correct?

with some reman .223 that I picked up at the show today

found some brass pieces in the trigger group

Did you inspect any of the brass? Could have popped a few primers, which would explain the brass in the trigger group. I could be part of your short stroking problem also...if it's loaded on the light side, especially on a new gun.

Just FYI I had a similar experience last year. The culprit was blown primers had blocked the trigger. Then I found that one of the primers had some how found its way INTO the gas key on the bolt carrier. That was a pain to remove because the gas tube had jammed the primer into the key. I had to remove the key and punch out the primer. Anyway all better now that I use better quality ammo.

FYI I heard that USPS has changed their policy on individuals shipping long guns, but hand guns are still not allowed to be shipped through them unless done by an FFL.For a long gun, UPS is better and about the same price.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top