JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
With deer season closing in it's time to get my deer-rifle out and remind myself how to shoot it. Of course being me I can't have something normal... A couple of years back my Uncle Jim passed and left me his tools and firearms. Among these was a crudely sporterized M38 7.35mm Carcano. He probably bought this rifle for $6-$8 from an ad in the back of American Rifleman in the 60's, or later got it from someone that did. He had several hundred Berdan-primed rounds for it, all preloaded in the now-rare clips. This one is similar but in better shape-
YOXsPwB.jpg

According to Aunt Mary the rifle had stood in a corner for the last four decades, and it looked it. Coated with pitting and an amalgam of dust and long-dried gun oil it was a sight, but for a miracle the bore was good. On a good day it might be worth $60. I asked around the family and no one needed it, so I figured, 'what the hell.' I mean. it's a functional rifle, I've got ammo for it and it doesn't take up that much room.

One day a buddy of mine stopped by with a large chunk of walnut he'd come across and wanted to know if I could maybe use it for knife handles. I had a different idea... I'd never made a rifle-stock before but why not give it a shot? I stripped the rifle and cleaned up the metal, bobbed and re-crowned the barrel at 16-1/4" (after carefully looking up ATF regulations about how they measure this.) I fabricated a new front sight, placing it at my best estimation of the location of the original sight. I used my Uncles inherited wood-working chisels and other wood-working tools to make a Mannlicher Carbine stock and finished it with hand-rubbed Carnauba wax. I made a steel butt-plate for it to maintain a 'military' look. The results-
DroTC3M.jpg
6jrid2x.jpg
By something I can only attribute to Divine Intervention the rifle shoots dead-on to point of aim at fifty yards. Recoil is noticeable but manageable. I haven't bedded the stock yet, but the barrel is free-floating from the action forward. At fifty yards accuracy is more than good enough for deer at that range; shooting off-hand I can reliably hit within an inch of POA.

I'll be buying reloading dies and new brass- there's only one outfit producing factory ammo for this cartridge, so I may just buy a bunch of that and accumulate brass as I shoot it off. Since the bore is a genuine .30-cal (.299-.300) bullets are a bit thin on the ground, but I can resort to resizing .308 Bullets.

It makes a handy little carbine, perfect for the close terrain where I hunt. Ballistically speaking the 7.35x51 Carcano soft-point ammo I have is on par with .30-30 and should be more than adequate for local Blacktails. So my Uncle's rifle, rebuilt with his tools. I like to think this is a project he'd have undertaken himself if it had occurred to him. A fitting tribute I think- and my Aunt and cousins agree. When I pass it down to my heirsI suspect they will be much happier to receive it than I was initially!

Great story with an even better ending.

And a pretty cool little piece of shootin' hardware to boot!
Somewhere, I'm pretty sure your uncle is smiling over this.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads