JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Were M1A1s still being made late enough that they were equipped with adjustable sights and bayo lugs, or alternatively, were M1A1s still in service late enough after the war that they went through rebuilds that added the "late" Carbine features while retaining the folding stock?

My Carbine is of fairly early manufacture, but it has all of the late parts characteristic of the Korean War era. My dad bought it in the late '50s or early '60s, shipped straight from Red River Arsenal, and the rebuild stamp indicates it was refurbed at Mt. Rainier Arsenal, in Tacoma, WA. My folks both worked in Tacoma, at the time.
The whole Carbine "restoration" deal sort of leaves me cold. You take a weapon, in completely authentic military spec, pull off parts that have never been anywhere but on that gun, replace them with a collection of parts pulled off of other guns, and you've restored it? I don't get it.

Nice Paratrooper - a bit of fondness for the M1 Carbines- Funny at one time $20 - mailed to you.

Now a days - rack grade M1 Carbines are up for sale at Joes and Big 5 for $1,200.

The nice thing about these Carbines with a wood stock they look like a nice "lil' rifle" almost BB Gun-ish. But 200 yards from the barrel they still have more hitting power (Vel/Energy) than a .357 Mag or .45 at Point blank. Great Home-defense weapon; lightweight, compact, low recoil firearm with a 30rd mag full of Soft points - My wife or daughter can handle it easier than a 12Ga.

At one time these were great inexpensive Truck/Trunk rifles - ( They worth too much - for that)

This gun has been around the block.From what I am finding out;Yes it has some of the later parts,site, rd bolt.bayo lug.The stock stampings indicate correct for ser.# of gun. No rebuild stamps. The wood should clean up nice, not beat up.Correct trigger housing,slide.Site,bolt marked for Inland.The barrel is the ?,smooth with RIA site,no markings but same style as Inland. I will make a nice gun out of it but I'm not going to try and "restore" it.It's going to be a shooter,but nice.Thanks for the input.GK:)

While we're chatting so enjoyably on the topic of Carbines, is there a good source for real, USGI magazines? I had eight or ten 30-rounders, but only three of them work reliably, and I wouldn't mind having a few more 30s, and some 15s, as well. I've seen ads for mags that indicate Korean manufacture, and the ads always say they're mil-spec, but I wonder?

My Carbine is of fairly early manufacture, but it has all of the late parts characteristic of the Korean War era. My dad bought it in the late '50s or early '60s, shipped straight from Red River Arsenal, and the rebuild stamp indicates it was refurbed at Mt. Rainier Arsenal, in Tacoma, WA. My folks both worked in Tacoma, at the time.
The whole Carbine "restoration" deal sort of leaves me cold. You take a weapon, in completely authentic military spec, pull off parts that have never been anywhere but on that gun, replace them with a collection of parts pulled off of other guns, and you've restored it? I don't get it.

Well, think of it like this. Ford made a 1965 Mustang. Subsequent owners put a different engine, body moulding, wheels and tires on it. You like the look of the original 1965 Mustang so you restore it with original parts even if they weren't the ones on the original car. Some people like the new rear sight and "pot belly" stock but I prefer the original style. I definitely prefer the original push safety compared to the later lever style. I bought my Inland back in the 90's and traded off the pot belly stock, round bolt, bayonet lug, and rear sight. I just liked it for looks and don't know if I will ever splurge for original Inland rear flip sight and barrel band. Those are the only things that are not "original" on my carbine. The mag pouch is my dad's from WW2, he carried everything from a carbine to a BAR in the south pacific and China.

345.jpg

This one is my #3. I have had an Underwood over 30 yrs and it's just the way I got it.Adj. site and Rd Bolt,No bayo lug.As for flat bolts, take yours and clean it real good and look at the Rt locking lug for cracks.They are prone to brake. As for mags I still use mine from 30yrs ago. Nice looking gun.Did you remove the belt snap before you put it on the butt?GK
M1's-R-FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:s0155:

The belt snap was already gone, my dad said they did it so it wouldn't scratch their cheeks...:)

Not to get too off topic but I'm wondering why Kahr doesnt bring back the 5.7 Johnson or at least try chambering the 5.7 from FN?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top