Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

M1A Socom II in Walnut

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Iceberg, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Iceberg

Iceberg Forest Grove Active Member

I picked up a Socom II for a great price a while back and really didn't like the heavy cheese grate type rail or bedliner coated stock. I added a M1A Scout mount and walnut stock for a more traditional look; it is much lighter & handles better.

Before:
    SOCOMII.jpg

SOCOMII2.jpg

After:
    Hunting002.jpg
    Hunting001.jpg
    Hunting004-1.jpg
    Hunting003-1.jpg

2. jordanvraptor

jordanvraptor Oregon City, Oregon Well-Known Member

Looks much better. :)

3. MrNiceGuy

MrNiceGuy between springfield and shelbyville Well-Known Member

I liked it better before when it was all original.

you bubba'd a fine rifle.
    What a shame.

4. ZachS

ZachS Eugene/PDX Active Member

:thumbup:

5. CharlesAFerg

CharlesAFerg Beaverton Active Member

I had somebody try to tell me that their synthetic stock would bend when it got hot and they leaned the rifle against something. Perhaps injection molded, but not a synthetic stock like this, which is what he had.
    lol...
    What a crock.

6. Iceberg

bubba'd.....lol. I guess I am a Cleatus when it comes to M1As.

No worries; I kept all the original kit so that I can change it back at a later date if needed. I really wanted a M1A Scout, but the deal I had on the SOCOM was too good to turn down. I sure like the handy little carbine, just not the huge rail and the Rhino liner covered stock. I personaly think the M14/M1A type rifles look muck better in wood unlike FALs, HK G3s & ARs that look right in black plastic. There is also a reason why there are many take off M1A Socom II Vltor rails for sale, they are very heavy & make the rifle unbalanced (nose heavy).

7. Wallygator

Wallygator Albany, OR Active Member

I think it looks much better in wood, nice looking rifle!

wg

8. swoop

swoop Milwaukie, Oregon Well-Known Member

IMO you just created the best of the past and present...Great job! Now what kind of deal can I expect from Wall-Mart on a SOCOM-II ? :D

9. MuddyWatters

MuddyWatters West Seattle Member

Looks great!

10. Benny503

Benny503 Grants Pass Well-Known Member

Beautifull.... Now you have to check out sage ebr stock.... Ke ke ke :)

11. GRUNDEL

GRUNDEL Washougal Area Active Member

The wood gives it the classic M1A look with the shorter barrel giving it a serious dose of Bad A$$. I have always liked the Socom 16 but this has inspired me to pursue getting one. Looks like my wife will need a new part time job.

12. fred c. dobbs

fred c. dobbs salem Active Member

Looks so "MUCH" better, i want one now.

13. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Ardenwald, OR Well-Known Member

The wood is a major upgrade in appearance. Fiberglass and rails are great on AR's and other assault style rifles but a battle rifle needs wood.

14. longcolt

longcolt Zephyrhills, FL Active Member

It just looks a whole lot less scary than with that evil black stock.

Its a sweet rifle and I am sure you will have some fun times with that at the range/woods.

15. eriknemily

eriknemily Tillamook County (Cheese!) Member

It's funny how a different stock can change your perception of a rifle. With the synthetic stock it conjures up media images of evil crimes being committed. With a wood stock it reminds of the good old day hunting with grandad:laugh:

16. MrNiceGuy

MrNiceGuy between springfield and shelbyville Well-Known Member

60474tacticalfacepalm.jpg

17. Iceberg

With my Standard M1A

Hunting009.jpg

18. huntpotter

huntpotter SW WA Negotiator Bronze Supporter

Sweeeeeet.

I dumped off my socom 2, because I couldn't get my hand around the huge rail out front. I debated if I should have sold the socom2 rail on GB and re-outfit it back to origional. I wish I did, now that I see yours. It's way better this way. All I used on it was my eotech. I can't see why anyone would need all the side and bottom rails. Once you start hanging a bunch of battery powered stuff all over it it becomes less of an asset, and more of a liability. More stuff to break, and get caught on stuff. A main battle rifle should be simple and low drag.

Let me know when you get tired of that one, and I'll be right down with some cash for ya.

Can't beat the target walnut stock. GI birch stock is nice too, and a little lighter.

19. Iceberg

I just couldn't stand that huge, ugly & heavy rail or the Rhino lined glass stock that came w/ the little carbine. The really great thing about M14/M1As is that if you don't dig the stock or hanguard that came with it, simply change them. Quick, cheap & easy; now I have a cool looking, great handling and shooting little carbine. I might even try the IOR Valdada Red Dot that I currently have on my M4 on it this weekend at the club.