JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As some may know I have recently acquired a Springfield M1a "loaded" . Of course it's not perfect, at least for me. There will be a few modifications to make.
Without the trigger group installed there is a bit of lateral movement (side to side), I will endeavor to tighten it up without glass bedding. Perhaps with shims epoxied to the inside of the stock. I have ideas!
The wood is okay, but dull. A bit of shine is in order, also providing a better seal against moisture. As basically a bench gun a little shine is fine.
A steel scope mount properly installed, I have seen a few comments about them shooting loose and believe I know the cause.
I will need a leather cheek rest and sling, all the ones I see are not dyed or treated, got to fix that.
Add to the above an M2 bipod, scope, ti coated piston and a few spare bolt parts.

You want the scope mount that attaches to the stripper clip guide.
Without the trigger group installed there is a bit of lateral movement (side to side), I will endeavor to tighten it up without glass bedding. Perhaps with shims epoxied to the inside of the stock. I have ideas!
No bad idea. Properly bedded stock is what you want. Shimming only parts of the stock will not work.
You want Half A$$ accuracy? Don't do a Half A$$ bedding job. If you are not up to it have the stock
professionally bedded with Marine Grade Epoxy 'Devcon'. This example below is for a fiberglass rear lugged
receiver same procedure for your wood stock.
My M1A super match. I shoot it with irons and a Miso rear sight aperture. https://www.creedmoorsports.com/product/miso-m1a-lens-kit/creedmoor
zbyazP2cg3zJqU94MWNGSBHLqA=w823-h617-no?authuser=0.jpg

I did professional bedding for years, and being the smartest guy in the room ( of course I'm alone) I can try come up with a solution that is permanent, unlike bedding. My gun my choice Used just about every available epoxy out there, and none last for too long. By shimming, I mean the entire action made immobile. More like making up a full length plate for each side of the reciever and bedding that into place.
I have been doing this sh!t over forty years, whatever you think you know, whatever experience you have, is diddly.

That being said, thanks, I will take you suggestions under advisement.
Have you shot it yet? What were the results?

Aloha, Mark
hey mark, waiting on some ammo to get here, f#$%&ing ups will try again today:)!

You have nothing to lose by shimming the stock. Give it a try. Definitely test accuracy before and after to let us know how it works. Obviously, bedding will likely yield better results, and can serve as a back up plan. That being said, having bedded two M1As myself, it is quite an involved process. Edit: sounds like you know what you're doing. Send it!

How did you plan on refinishing the stock? I found that an equal parts mix of BLO, beeswax, and turpentine gives a light shine and warm look to the wood. It is an old recipe that also supposedly work well in the elements.

I do not recommend the M2 bipod. Attaching directly to the gas system is asking for accuracy issues. If you want a bipod, buy one of the studs that replace the sling swivel on the front of the stock (not the type that goes through the drain hole). I installed a Sadlak one in one of my rifles, and have been happy with the design and function.

Do not skimp on the scope mount. Buy a quality one with three points of contact (side of receiver, stripper clip guide, top of receiver). I have a slightly out of spec receiver, but after thousands of rounds have not had my Smith Enterprises mount come loose.

Be sure to consider a sling from Turner Saddlery. They are held in high regards by most of the High Power competition shooters.

Be sure to shim/unitize your gas system. Easy way to gain some accuracy. Also, check out Tonyben's videos on Youtube. He is a local, and M14s are his thing.

Congrats on your purchase. My M1As are my favorite range toys. They may not be the best in any category, but the experience is hard to beat. It was a long road, but my Loaded model now gets slightly under 1.5 MOA 5 round groups with quality match ammo or handloads. My Armscorp M1A.... not so much. Hopefully you got a good one.

You have nothing to lose by shimming the stock. Give it a try. Definitely test accuracy before and after to let us know how it works. Obviously, bedding will likely yield better results, and can serve as a back up plan. That being said, having bedded two M1As myself, it is quite an involved process. Edit: sounds like you know what you're doing. Send it!

How did you plan on refinishing the stock? I found that an equal parts mix of BLO, beeswax, and turpentine gives a light shine and warm look to the wood. It is an old recipe that also supposedly work well in the elements.

I do not recommend the M2 bipod. Attaching directly to the gas system is asking for accuracy issues. If you want a bipod, buy one of the studs that replace the sling swivel on the front of the stock (not the type that goes through the drain hole). I installed a Sadlak one in one of my rifles, and have been happy with the design and function.

Do not skimp on the scope mount. Buy a quality one with three points of contact (side of receiver, stripper clip guide, top of receiver). I have a slightly out of spec receiver, but after thousands of rounds have not had my Smith Enterprises mount come loose.

Be sure to consider a sling from Turner Saddlery. They are held in high regards by most of the High Power competition shooters.

Be sure to shim/unitize your gas system. Easy way to gain some accuracy. Also, check out Tonyben's videos on Youtube. He is a local, and M14s are his thing.

Congrats on your purchase. My M1As are my favorite range toys. They may not be the best in any category, but the experience is hard to beat. It was a long road, but my Loaded model now gets slightly under 1.5 MOA 5 round groups with quality match ammo or handloads. My Armscorp M1A.... not so much. Hopefully you got a good one.
I got this quart container of tru-oil just sitting there :), maybe that.
The bipod is a choice yet to be made, still considering a harris (always a fan) just not sure it will hold up to a 12+ pound rifle.

My opinion of internet videos isn't very high.
A slut gives it away for free. Glad I haven't made the transition from whore to slut yet.

My Harris has been holding up just fine under mine. Been on there for close to 10 years. I think you'd be happy with one.

Totally hear you on the videos. There are better ways to learn. That being said, Tony has done an excellent job of documenting techniques that he has learned from M14 master smiths. He's been doing it long enough to where I can say that his videos are, at the very least, a good supplement.

Took it down for cleaning and a look see today. Came to me with some ammo, one box missing ten rounds, I believe that's all that went through it before it hurt his lady parts. Just a tiny bit of carbon on the piston, patches came out clean after three. Lubed the trigger group and the pull is amazing now. Bolt face is pristine.
Recieved 200 rounds of m80 today, yay! Probably won't get to see how it shoots for a week. IMG_20220103_115709.jpg IMG_20220103_115655.jpg IMG_20220103_115647.jpg

Last Edited:
Ran across the A.R.M.S. mount seems lower profile than others, trust the name and the fact they have been doing it awhile. Got an nsn on it!
also probably going to get a walnut handguard, just because it's prettier than plastic.
placing an order tomorrow with springfield too.

Ordered the A.R.M.S. mount last night, we'll see. Still haven't decided on the scope yet.
After much thought about accurizing, and research into it, I came to a couple of conclusions.
First, as much as I want a more durable solution than bedding, that will likely be the course of action.
Second, unitize the gas system to eliminate the vertical barrel movement. But first I will mount up a scope and establish baseline accuracy, and see if there is really a need.

Last Edited:
Bought a scope! A Vortex EBR-2C MRAD Reticle 6-24x50.
IMG_20220128_072458.jpg
now I need rings, need steel, saw the warne rings yesterday they look nice.

Last Edited:
Mounted up the arms #18 last night. Boy it fits great, I had read of problems with it, but I don't see it, fits great. I need to cut a relief in the handguard for the front screw, but that's all. It sits very low, I can use the sights with mount installed. I will need high rings to clear the 50mm objective on the scope, either that or a combo rail mount with integral rings. Leupold looks good.
I'll post up pics when the scope is on.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top