JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've made my decision to buy a variant of the Springfield M1A next month, but now I have some hard (for me) decisions to make. My first dilema is, do I get the SOCOM 16, which looks badass, is nice and compact, and a tad bit lighter, or do I go for the Scout with an 18" barrel and a little longer flash hider? I don't know how big of a difference say 3" is going to make on ballistics with a .308. My idea for this gun is to have a simple, powerful, tuff, "battle rifle". I had it all in my head to buy the SOCOM, but then I thought, well, I have my shotgun for close range, maybe I should get the Scout and put a quick detatch 1-4 power scope on it and a light weight bi-pod. In my head, it seems like the couple inches shouldn't make a difference if I need the gun for something close, but then, do I need those couple inches for the long shot either? Damn! If I get a SOCOM, I will not put optics on it, most likely.

Second dilema - wood or synthetic? I love the look of a nice, solid wood stock, and apperance wise, it would match my 870P, annnddd, my girlfriend likes the look better too LOL. I know that in bad weather, synthetic is much better, and it holds accuracy better, black also looks pretty cool.

So, don't try and talk me out of a M1A, I'm getting one, but if you have any advise that may help me make my pick, any easier, let's hear it, please! Even if it's just based off of looks. Thanks!

Buy the one you would enjoy taking to the range and shooting the most. The battle rifle may never be an issue but if it is both would probably do just fine. JMHO

The difference in barrel length between the SOCOM and Scout is 1.5" (16" vs 18.5") not 3" My mommy says I am special :cool:. They use different flashhiders and mounts though. The SCOCM has its own system while the scout uses standard parts.

With the Scout you can add a Smith front end where the length ends up about 1" longer the the SOCOM.

Here is my MK14 Mod 0 (Scout with Smith/EBR parts)

DSC04793.jpg

DSC04818.jpg

I have had mine for several year and it is fairly loud. This spring I got to shoot a SOCOM and it was considerably louder then mine. It was loud enough that after a couple mags it got annoying/unpleasant to shoot/be around.

I wont talk you out of it, but why are you getting one :D

DSC05939.jpg

I have a M1A scout with green synthetic stock. I paid zero attention to looks but turned out the foliage green sling and TNVC riser/mag pouch (TNVC RSP Mod.0 ‹ Catalog Products ‹ Products ‹ Tactical Night Vision Company) matched quite nicely.

Originally the rifle sported a forward mounted Aimpoint M4S zeroed at 200 yards and I kept the drop chart in the mag pouch. But with my bad eyes I had a difficult time hitting reduced silhouettes at 300 yards so I swapped it out with a Burris 2-7x handgun scope with Ballistic Plex reticle. Turned out the BDC was pretty closely matched with the Scout muzzle velocities shooting 150gr surplus, which was a nice surprise.

I've experienced SOCOM muzzle blast and the Scout is quieter even though it also sports a muzzle brake.

My biased opinion is to get a scout or full length M1A, if weight were really a concern, go with a SCAR 17 or Larue PredatAR 16".

Nwcid, based on your info (16" vs. 18.5"), it's 2.5" difference, not 1.5" like you said...anyway, thanks for the input, and I'd love to have even one of your M1As! Dman, I love OD, I'll take a look and see what they look like. I'm going to go find one of each around town and see what feels better.

Nwcid, based on your info (16" vs. 18.5"), it's 2.5" difference, not 1.5" like you said...anyway, thanks for the input, and I'd love to have even one of your M1As! Dman, I love OD, I'll take a look and see what they look like. I'm going to go find one of each around town and see what feels better.

Well dont I feel a bit special now.

I had my numbers all crazy. I basically went though the same debate you are having several years ago when I got mine. I found the Scout was all round better and only ~1" longer when using the Smith stuff.

You can see the difference between my FH and dmancornell with his stock one.

Thanks for the pic! It looks awesome! Nwcid, glad I made ya feel that way! LOL. I'm gunna look at some different parts online. I held a standard M1A today, and it was too long for what I want. I'm really really liking the SOCOM 16 right now though. Kinda gives me the feeling that a 2" barrel .44mag does! Also, if I get a Scout, I'll end up getting optics, which will cost even more! LOL

My M1A is just like dmancornells and I noticed he has the same cheek pad as I do because with optics they mount too high over the barrel compared to where your cheek welds on the stock. Iron sights I don't need the pad but it is a must have with optics and only a few optics seem to work for me. Can't use EOTEC as the sight sits too high for me. At least in my model of EOTEC.

jj

I picked up a Socom 16 this year and love it. Stocks are easy to change and if you watch eBay you can pick up some pretty good deal like the laminated stock I got with all metal for $125. I have a full size m14e2 and considered the Scout but got the Socom16 and have never regretted it. Here are a couple of pics showing it in the different stocks.

IMG_4625.jpg
IMG_4536.jpg

Nwcid, based on your info (16" vs. 18.5"), it's 2.5" difference, not 1.5" like you said...

The SOCOM has a barrel that is 16.25" long plus muzzle device.
The Bush and Scout use a barrel that is 18.0" long plus muzzle device.

When you use muzzle devices from Smith Enterprise, Inc. on
both barrels the difference in overall length is less than 1.0"

Barrel length L > R

16.25", 22.0", 18.0", 18.0" & 22.0"

Wow! You have quite the collection! I want to buy something I can keep as close to factory as I can, and have it work. That's why I buy Glocks and 870s. How much do the Smith muzzle devices cost? $1500 is about the top of my range for a rifle, and then I'll have a few hundred for mags. Ammo is not in my budget, cause it's not an issue, I can afford to shoot .308 as much as I can 5.56 or any other.

Wow! You have quite the collection! I want to buy something I can keep as close to factory as I can, and have it work. That's why I buy Glocks and 870s. How much do the Smith muzzle devices cost? $1500 is about the top of my range for a rifle, and then I'll have a few hundred for mags. Ammo is not in my budget, cause it's not an issue, I can afford to shoot .308 as much as I can 5.56 or any other.

Lucky duck!!!!

Smith Enterprise, Inc.

I also want to know where you are getting .308 for the same cost of 5.56.

Me too! 5.56 nato surplus is about .30 a round and 7.62 nato is .40 plus.

I've shot a couple of the short M1A's but still prefer the long ones. It's personal preference. I think the short barrel would be best for a short range only rifle, 300yds and under it shoots as well as the long barrel.

2M1As.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top