JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Didn't Olofsen's selector move to 3 positions after he did a little "fiddling" with it?

I don't believe his case was about a worn carrier. Is there a case specific to the use of a carrier only, with no other FCG parts?

I'm just asking, because there are literally thousands of ARs in WA with heavy carriers in them. There should be some sort of recall if that is the case.

Didn't Olofsen's selector move to 3 positions after he did a little "fiddling" with it?

I don't believe his case was about a worn carrier. Is there a case specific to the use of a carrier only, with no other FCG parts?

I'm just asking, because there are literally thousands of ARs in WA with heavy carriers in them. There should be some sort of recall if that is the case.

No, he had normal AR parts in it with the only exception being the carrier. He had a very old pre-ban Oly. The cause of the problem wasn't the safety or the bolt carrier. The problem was the sear and hammer edges were worn and it would have hammer follow downs. With the steel primers it wasn't an issue, but with the soft military primers it would cause it to multiple. The kid that borrowed it was using military surplus ammo (at a police range of course) and it tripled then jammed. So the cops grabbed it. Then when the ATF tested it they couldn't reproduce the results at first, till they used soft primers and again they got it to double or triple before it jammed. Even though it was plain that he had wear issues, they still charged him and because they got a cooperative jury he got sent to the big house. The thing the ATF focused on was the M16 bolt carrier and the fact that it fired more than one round per pull of the trigger, even though it was a wear issue and not actually designed for that. But my point was that the government never cares what the truth is or what the laws mean, they will still happily find ways to toss people in jail.

No, he had normal AR parts in it with the only exception being the carrier. He had a very old pre-ban Oly. The cause of the problem wasn't the safety or the bolt carrier. The problem was the sear and hammer edges were worn and it would have hammer follow downs. With the steel primers it wasn't an issue, but with the soft military primers it would cause it to multiple. The kid that borrowed it was using military surplus ammo (at a police range of course) and it tripled then jammed. So the cops grabbed it. Then when the ATF tested it they couldn't reproduce the results at first, till they used soft primers and again they got it to double or triple before it jammed. Even though it was plain that he had wear issues, they still charged him and because they got a cooperative jury he got sent to the big house. The thing the ATF focused on was the M16 bolt carrier and the fact that it fired more than one round per pull of the trigger, even though it was a wear issue and not actually designed for that. But my point was that the government never cares what the truth is or what the laws mean, they will still happily find ways to toss people in jail.

Been doing some reading on this...

Problem is, that isn't true. He installed an M16 dis-connector and selector, that would allow the hammer to fall when the selector was turned to the FA position, however because there was no auto-sear to delay the hammer fall, the FA function was not reliable, and basically was an induced "hammer follow" condition. He advertised the rifle to his friend as "special", and when his friend was firing it, it did get dirty enough to slow the hammer and cause a couple short strings of FA fire before the RO checked it out, saw the guy had no NFA paperwork, and called the police. The ATF had trouble getting it to fire FA reliably until they put a lot of rounds through it, and used ammo primed with soft federal commercial SR primers, at that point, it became a relaible machine gun, and went through a few mags FA without fail. At the trial, Olofson did not fight the ATF's claim that it was a machine gun, or that he modified it to fire FA, he claimed the 2A defense that basically "so what if it is, it's my right to have it", his defense did not work, and he was convicted.

So long story short, the guy knew what he was doing, and basically tried to sell a partially converted and unreliable machine gun FTF. This is why the NRA, and no respectable 2A advocate has taken the bait once this info has come out, and are furious that because of this, the shoddy seat of the pants ATF testing practices are now judicial precedent. There were plenty of holes in the case that a decent lawyer could exploit enough to get a good deal, or possibly an acquittal, but they were rendered moot when they were not exploited, and a man that is guilty for breaking the law however unconstitutional they may be, is going to prison as a result.

Thought this was another wild rumor until I found that his appeal was also denied...

David R. Olofson's conviction "for knowingly transferring a machinegun in violation of 18 U.S.C. § 922(o)" has been upheld.

A May 1 ruling from the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit held on May 1:

In sum, the defendant’s proffered jury instruction was not a correct statement of the law, and the district court properly rejected it. Furthermore, the evidence presented at trial was sufficient to sustain Olofson’s conviction, and 18 U.S.C. §§ 922(o) and 924(a)(2) are not unconstitutionally vague as applied to the facts of this case. In addition, the district court did not abuse its discretion in either excluding the defendant’s firearms expert from the courtroom during the government expert’s testimony or in denying Olofson’s motion to compel the production of evidence he had requested from the government. Accordingly, we AFFIRM Olofson’s conviction.

So, I'd rather believe the latter on this than the former.

Having read the court docket and a partial transcript of the trial and other court documents it is clear that Olofson was still innocent. While the ATF does say it had an M16 trigger, disconnecter, hammer and safety and an AR bolt carrier, it was also mentioned that it was manufactured that way by SGW and that they actually had a recall on the rifles manufactured during that time frame.

I stand corrected on the bolt carrier issue.

But no where in discussions with Olofson (before he was remanded to Fed custody) and no where in the court documents I've seen yet did he push the idea that it was an MG or even a "special" rifle.

The benefits are more mass to the carrier and a fuller round profile to travel through the round receiver. Not many cons I can think of if you already have one. Otherwise, cost of buying another BCG might be an con.

Its legal. The part of the AR system that makes it a full auto would be the auto sear. Short of that, the bolt is completely legal. This was recently (within the last few years) clarified by the ATF.

You shouldn't need to do anything further to compensate for the heavier bolt...

BUT!................Washington state law says they are not legal. According to Washington a machinegun part is a machinegun part regardless of the way the weapon fires. The FCG and the BCG are both considered machinegun parts. I can not even lagally put a three position triger housing on my HK. That technaclly is a machinegun part. Even if the weapon only fires semi. Now an auto sear is a registered part and there is no question for both state and federal laws prohibit possesion without registration. Washington is a wuss when it comes to full auto. Private ownership was banned in 1938. They were scared of gangsters and tommy guns. So I don't think I would get caught in Washington with a M16 BCG. Not wise at all.

Big AL allso had a class 2 lic that coverd machine guns and suppresers that they would not let him enter as evidence in his case. so as i said if they want to get you (prove a point) they will

I am personal friends with Big Al. He is like my second father. He was with me when I shot my first deer. I know every step of what Al went through and how he was F___ed. I have known Al since the ealy 70's. He did not have a class 2 license. He had a munfacturers license to repair both Military and law enforcement weapons. He paid like $500.00 a year to have that license from the ATF. An acuantince from out of state odered some FAL full auto stuff and had it sent to Al's shop. UPS notified the ATF that they thaught they had machinegun parts. They ATF told UPS to deliver the package and as soon as UPS left, ATF showed up with a search warrant. He had an inventory of replacement parts to fix said weapons but none of the parts were registered items. The ATF confiscated $40,000.00 worth of inventory to try and present there case. It went to state court and the state court told the ATF that they did not have enough evidence to convict him and threw it out of court. Then he wanted his inventory back and the ATF would not give it to him. They're reasoning.....we don't give drugs back to drug dealers and we are not going to give your stuff back. Now how can you compare drugs with tax generating inventory that the ATF gave him a license for? There is a federal law saying that a private individual cannot sue a government agency, but you can sue an individual agent. So he went after the agent that orchestrated the search of his property. Agent Ben Silva of the ATF. The agent went before a judge to try and get this law suit dropped and the judge told him that he had to face the music just like everybody else. So 2 weeks before the law suit, the ATF called up Al and told him to drop his law suit or he would have a federal inditement pressed on him. Al is not one to back down from anything and told the ATF to go F___k themselves. Which ended him in federal court for the very same charges that the state threw out. ???????? Isn't that double jepordy? So they bring the biggest antigun federal judge out of retirement. Judge Tanner. He was apointed by Jimmy Carter. I swear on my mothers grave stone that the trail was fixed from day one. Everything the defense tried to do to build there case was denied by the judge. I swear that during the entire trail the defense was allowed a single witness and that witness was asked a single question and the was told to step down and have a seat. That was the entire defense. How can you build a case on that? I was there for most of the trail. So Al swallowed his pride and did 57 months down at McMinville Oregon. Al is one of the best men I have ever met. He is honest and VERY straight forward. That is why he used to get in some trouble once and awhile, becuse if he did not like you or what you said or did, he would tell you flat out! I have learned a tremendous amount of gun knowledge from him. He knows his chit. You guys can ask me anything about Al and his case and will be glad to tell you what I know.

I am personal friends with Big Al. He is like my second father. He was with me when I shot my first deer. I know every step of what Al went through and how he was F___ed. I have known Al since the ealy 70's. He did not have a class 2 license. He had a munfacturers license to repair both Military and law enforcement weapons. He paid like $500.00 a year to have that license from the ATF. An acuantince from out of state odered some FAL full auto stuff and had it sent to Al's shop. UPS notified the ATF that they thaught they had machinegun parts. They ATF told UPS to deliver the package and as soon as UPS left, ATF showed up with a search warrant. He had an inventory of replacement parts to fix said weapons but none of the parts were registered items. The ATF confiscated $40,000.00 worth of inventory to try and present there case. It went to state court and the state court told the ATF that they did not have enough evidence to convict him and threw it out of court. Then he wanted his inventory back and the ATF would not give it to him. They're reasoning.....we don't give drugs back to drug dealers and we are not going to give your stuff back. Now how can you compare drugs with tax generating inventory that the ATF gave him a license for? There is a federal law saying that a private individual cannot sue a government agency, but you can sue an individual agent. So he went after the agent that orchestrated the search of his property. Agent Ben Silva of the ATF. The agent went before a judge to try and get this law suit dropped and the judge told him that he had to face the music just like everybody else. So 2 weeks before the law suit, the ATF called up Al and told him to drop his law suit or he would have a federal inditement pressed on him. Al is not one to back down from anything and told the ATF to go F___k themselves. Which ended him in federal court for the very same charges that the state threw out. ???????? Isn't that double jepordy? So they bring the biggest antigun federal judge out of retirement. Judge Tanner. He was apointed by Jimmy Carter. I swear on my mothers grave stone that the trail was fixed from day one. Everything the defense tried to do to build there case was denied by the judge. I swear that during the entire trail the defense was allowed a single witness and that witness was asked a single question and the was told to step down and have a seat. That was the entire defense. How can you build a case on that? I was there for most of the trail. So Al swallowed his pride and did 57 months down at McMinville Oregon. Al is one of the best men I have ever met. He is honest and VERY straight forward. That is why he used to get in some trouble once and awhile, becuse if he did not like you or what you said or did, he would tell you flat out! I have learned a tremendous amount of gun knowledge from him. He knows his chit. You guys can ask me anything about Al and his case and will be glad to tell you what I know.

If Al had a manufacturer's license it was a Type 07.
The Class 2 is the $500 a year tax that is paid. Not a permit or a license, just a tax.

If someone sent him MG parts, that is 100% fine.(If he indeed had an 07 license with the Class 2 tax paid up to date.)

Yes. It was a manufacturer license. He did that specificly to work on military and law enforcement weapons. I honestly do not remember the fee he was paying. I have to admit that I do not know all the rules and regs for such licenses.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top